Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRAG Spring Tune Up Century

I rode the century route at the Spring Tune Up Ride in Madison, Georgia today. The ride was part of a 3 day event put on by the Bicycle Ride Across Georgia organization. I had planned to go up Friday after work and camp, but the storm system that came through overnight changed my plans. I got off to a late start because I had to wait out a tornado warning before leaving for Madison. By the time I drove up, got registered and ready to ride, it was after 9:00. But I was set on riding the century, so that's what I did. It had just stopped raining, but it was kind of cool and looked like it could rain again, so I wore my rain jacket.

By the time I got to the first rest stop, it was getting too warm in the jacket. I saw a friend from Augusta there on his touring bike, so I asked him to carry it for me and leave it on my car. Thanks, John. It was a little cool for a while without it, but it was soon fine. The temp ranged from 60 at the start to about 68 by the end.

At the second rest stop I met one of the guys who rode the century route at the April Fools Ride. He said he had ridden with me before out of Eatonton. He had flown past me on a hill a few miles before the stop, so there was no way I'd be riding with him.

The wind was about 12mph most of the morning and mostly behind me so not a problem. Soon after the 3rd rest stop at 41 miles at Mars Hill a little after noon, the wind started picking up and we turned right into it for the next 30 miles or so. It was brutal, supposedly 20 mph with gusts to 30. Actually I, along with several riders, missed the next rest stop in Good Hope and went off course for seven miles. I knew something was wrong when I hit some tailwind and 90 degree crosswind. Once we got to Bostwick we knew we were way off course. The seven miles back to the rest stop was awful. Strong headwind and fairly heavy traffic.

After the rest stop the wind got even worse until we got to Social Circle where I missed another rest stop but stayed on course. Now we finally had some long stretches of tailwind at it was nice! There was a 12 mile loop a few miles out of Rutledge which would have put me into some headwind for a while, but having a 14 mile surplus from my off route excursion, I chose to skip it and stay in the tailwind. I stopped at a gas station for water as I was running out. From there it was an easy ride into Madison via Rutledge with tailwind and mostly flat road. A welcome relief.

I finished with 103 miles in a little over 8 hours averaging 14.4 mph. I felt pretty good about that under the conditions. I was tired, but felt pretty good. Black Betty (my Roubaix) rode amazingly smoothly. The fit is dialed in very well as I had no pain in my back, shoulders, neck, hands or bottom. The new PI Pro bib shorts did great on their first ride. I was also well fueled with Perpetuem food substitute in one water bottle which I sipped on all day and water in the other. I had a small flask of energy gel that I hit several times during the ride to supplement the food substitute. I only ate a little at the rest stops, a couple of fig bars and a couple of PBJ sandwich halves. I had a big Jamocha shake from Arby's on the drive home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...13260552/show/

wet roads by BluesDawg, on Flickr

let's get back on it by BluesDawg, on Flickr

tractor crossing by BluesDawg, on Flickr

bridge by BluesDawg, on Flickr

store stop by BluesDawg, on Flickr

done by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 04-16-11 at 10:05 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Fizzy yellow beer jersey. Not warm enough here for short sleeves and shorts yet - maybe by June.

Nice ride report. Where there many riders?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do with the Perpetuem in the summer? Doesn't it get too hot and spoil on a long ride? I use it too but never tried to mixed a concentrated bottle that was intended to last the whole day.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds pretty similar to the ride I did. Man that wind sure wears you down. I got to the top of a pretty good hill into a 20 mph wind and it made a curve to the right and there was more to climb. I said shiit and had to keep going. Some people were stopping because they just couldn't go anymore. That was not an option for me, because I knew if I stopped that would be the end of the ride. Anyhow you gave a very good review of your ride and nice pictures.
    George

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    What do you do with the Perpetuem in the summer? Doesn't it get too hot and spoil on a long ride? I use it too but never tried to mixed a concentrated bottle that was intended to last the whole day.
    I used the Perpetuem because I found that I had some left in the big jar from two years ago. I knew it wouldn't be getting very hot, so I decided to go ahead and use up the last of it. As the day went on, I added cold water at rest stops and drank from that bottle more often.

I quit using it for the reasons you mentioned. I mostly used it when I was starting to ride after cancer and had real problems eating enough to keep me going. That stuff gets real funky after a few hours of summer heat. But after seeing how well it worked yesterday I may start using it again for centuries and more. I may start carrying baggies with enough powder for a couple of hours and mix it at the stops.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I may start carrying baggies with enough powder for a couple of hours and mix it at the stops.
    Those little tubes that Nuun and other tablet type supplements come in make great canisters for mix, I use it for powdered Gatorade when I ride long solo rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Perpetuem because I found that I had some left in the big jar from two years ago. I knew it wouldn't be getting very hot, so I decided to go ahead and use up the last of it. As the day went on, I added cold water at rest stops and drank from that bottle more often.

I quit using it for the reasons you mentioned. I mostly used it when I was starting to ride after cancer and had real problems eating enough to keep me going. That stuff gets real funky after a few hours of summer heat. But after seeing how well it worked yesterday I may start using it again for centuries and more. I may start carrying baggies with enough powder for a couple of hours and mix it at the stops.
    That is what I do, carry baggies of powder and mix it on the ride. I once had some accelerade turn on a hot ride and it was like drinking dog poo. I guess anything with protein in it can turn sour in the heat.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Those little tubes that Nuun and other tablet type supplements come in make great canisters for mix, I use it for powdered Gatorade when I ride long solo rides.
    Good idea. Less chance of leaking than a baggie. But it may not hold enough.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Less chance of leaking than a baggie. But it may not hold enough.
    Take more than one. I usually have three or four in my pocket for a century.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Take more than one. I usually have three or four in my pocket for a century.
    How many scoops of powder fit in a tube?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many scoops of powder fit in a tube?
    For Gatoraide - two scoops.
    I carry one with the Nuun tabs in it and then a few others packed with Gatoraide, I fill with water and then mix my own bottles.