Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-11, 11:20 AM   #1
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Vashon Island ride

FINALLY! A decent day for a bike ride. This has been a cold and dreary spring in the Northwest. I went for a ride with a few friends on Saturday. Starting at Mercer Island we rode across the bridge threading our way through Seattle’s International district and over to Ferry in West Seattle via Alki:

Vashon Island is a short ferry ride away from the city. It is a great place to ride your bike if you ever get the chance to visit Seattle. Kind of a funky offbeat place with lot’s of rural riding options. Be advised you will be climbing hills.

We rode the West side route then looped back into town for lunch at the hardware store.

Afterwards we did a loop on the Eastside and stopped at a local attraction. The “Bicycle Tree”. The story goes that someone threw this bike into the tree years ago and the tree grew around it..

On our return back to Mercer Island, the winds started to pick up, the clouds thickend blocking out the sun but we lucked out – no rain!

Last edited by northbend; 04-17-11 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added picture
northbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 02:10 PM   #2
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very close friend that lives on Mercer. I love riding around it. Last time we were up there, we went to Orcas Island and had a spectacular day of riding.
FWIW, I get a lot of bike stuff and have wheel repairs done at Branford Bike. They are over by the University. Rodd Wagner and his partner Doug really know bikes. They are Campi experts.
http://branfordbike.com/
Hope you get in a couple of sunny days in the next 6 months to ride.
VaultGuru is offline   Reply With Quote