Thread: Great bike shop

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great bike shop

I've been needing some lower gears for some lightly loaded touring in mountains. So I drove to Boston and Harris Cyclery for a smaller chainring for my triple and two cogsets for a custom built rear gearing. What a pleasant experience it was. Even though the store was busy, the staff took time to talk and confirm that what I wished to do was feasible and they did indeed have the parts on hand.

Checking out I commented on the excellent experience and offered the suggestion that a slight improvement may be to place a sofa along a wall somewhere with a few magazines and in winter, a pot bellied stove with a coffee pot atop. They promised to look into it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    I've been needing some lower gears for some lightly loaded touring in mountains. So I drove to Boston and Harris Cyclery for a smaller chainring for my triple and two cogsets for a custom built rear gearing. What a pleasant experience it was. Even though the store was busy, the staff took time to talk and confirm that what I wished to do was feasible and they did indeed have the parts on hand.

Checking out I commented on the excellent experience and offered the suggestion that a slight improvement may be to place a sofa along a wall somewhere with a few magazines and in winter, a pot bellied stove with a coffee pot atop. They promised to look into it.
    Of course they are legendary
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think if one needed a special setup for whatever purpose, Harris Cyclery would be the place to go. I'd like to visit the shop sometime.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been in the shop, but that's where I got my 28T granny ring and my MKS GR-9 pedals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually talked once to Sheldon Brown on the telephone. It was a pleasure, and he was so helpful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shop in tiny Newport, OR has a bit more than a couch. http://bikenewport.net/
    Nothing like a place to shower and do your laundry while getting a tune-up at the coast.

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a club tour up there back in the earlier 80s.
    'bout the time Sheldon was doing some writing for Bicycling magazine.
    Someone asked him who or what he attributed his never ending inquiztivness (regarding all things cycle related)
    He looked up as if someone had asked him the stupidest question ever and said:
    Frank Berto.
    That sold me on the guy right there and then.
    Sheldon had little truck with stupidity but he had a wonderfully dry sense of humor that would stay with anyone who ever met him.
    A re-do visit to Harris Cyclery is on my bucket list

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a customer of Harris for a long, long time. Put it this way: Many years ago, the bike shop was actually in the back of "Harris Hardware". Yep, it grew out of a hardware store. The hardware business is long gone, but the bike shop has grown to legendary status.

They've always done right by me, and my experience there has always been 100% satisfactory. A little quirky, and sometimes, a little strange, but that suits me just fine.

Oh yeah,,, They're just a few doors down and across the outlet of Elm street from the Blue Ribbon Barbeque. Eat you must.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed trackhub,

I met Sheldon a couple of times. I was left with the impression that quirky (and strange) is actually a very good thing!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, GT Talera, Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done business with Harris several times. I go there even though it is far from convenient for me to do so. The people are great.
    Not long after Sheldon died, Harris had stickers with his famous "winged" helmet picture and an "RIP". I have mine stuck on my bike tool chest - where else could it possibly go?