My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010-2011 Ford Taurus Trunk Transport

Hello everyone.
    123K miles on my Grand Marquis, it's still running fine, and I'll probably be replacing it in a couple of years. The Mercury line of cars has bit the dust, and so I'm starting to look around for sedans with big trunks.

One vehicle I'm looking close at, is the 2011 Taurus, either the Limited or SHO trim. It doesn't seem so from outer appearance, but its trunk is relatively big in comparison to other 2011 sedans. Another bonus, but I don't know if it would help with transporting a bike, is that the 2011 Taurus rear seats fold down, so that the trunk space spills into the rear cabin space.

Anybody have a 2011 (or 2010) Taurus, and do you transport your bike inside the trunk? Do you have to take off the front wheel? Does the folding down of the rear seats give you an advantage for transporting your bike?

When I get back into biking, I'll be pretty much keeping my bike in the trunk of my car most of the time, for security purposes. That's why a bike rack or bike trailor would not do for me. Please share your stories on whether the 2010-2011 Taurus model would be good for trunk-transporting your bikes.

Please also share your dislikes about trunk-transporting with the Taurus. Perhaps giving an idea of your bike's frame size, might help us understand why you're having difficulties putting your bike in the trunk. For example, all my male bikes have a small frame, and I usually ride my bike that has 650B wheels.

Steve

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I haven't actually put a bike in one, but I had a chance to rent one recently and the trunk is HUGE. W/fold down seats, I can't imagine that you would have problems putting one into the back seat (after removing the front tire). I used to put my bike (a very big frame) in the back of a BMW 3-series coupe (with fold down rear seats); compared to that, slinging your bike into the back of a Taurus ought to be simple.