Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Just one more dog related thread & eye surgery tomorrow (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/728557-just-one-more-dog-related-thread-eye-surgery-tomorrow.html)

NOS88 04-18-11 10:19 AM

Just one more dog related thread & eye surgery tomorrow

As some of you might remember last summer I had the unfortunate experience of having an off-lead dog dart in front of me while I was traveling between 17 & 20 mph. I hit the dog broad side, came down hard enough to require a trip to the emergency room, and ended up with some damage to my right eye.

Well' it's been an on-going trial trying to keep the right eye functional. But tomorrow I head in for surgery to reattach the retina. We don't know if it will be successful, but I guess that's the case with any surgery. I don't especially like medical procedures of any kind, and know that this is far less serious than what others in this forum have battled. Despite that, I am a bit nervous about tomorrow. So, just two thoughts. One, wish me luck tomorrow. I don't really want to be riding with vision in only one eye. Two, those of you still having the discussions in the other threads about dogs, dog ownership, responsibility, protections, etc. This was a well trained dog but was not on a lead. When the squirrel ran in front of him, his training went right out the window. IMO, there's little substitute for a lead.

AzTallRider 04-18-11 10:40 AM

Good luck tomorrow... hoping for a good post-surgery report! How long before you will know if the surgery worked?

George 04-18-11 11:16 AM

Good luck Nos88.I really think everything will be OK and you'll be out riding before you know it.

miss kenton 04-18-11 11:47 AM

Good Luck, Nos88. A friend of mine had that surgery not long ago and a few days later she was out to dinner with us and feeling & seeing fine!
Going to Wills or Upenn?

Pat 04-18-11 12:06 PM

Good luck on your surgery. I know that on many retinal reattachments, it is done on an outpatient basis. They just use a laser and there is no intervention with nasty knives. Usually, it works really well. I think they tend to do a little as possible. So if it gives a little problem, they can do a little more until they get the retina completely tacked down. So hopefully, it will not be too bad.

Hermes 04-18-11 12:21 PM

Good luck and wishing you a successful outcome.

cyclinfool 04-18-11 04:00 PM

I truly wish you success. A dear friend had this surgery and his luck was not so good, he did have the best surgeon in the area but he was prone to scaring and it never healed right. I think this is rare and I truly hope it does not happen to you, this is not a slam dunk so I wish you the very best. Please let us know how it goes.

DnvrFox 04-18-11 04:17 PM

You are in my thoughts. Best of luck and keep us informed.

kennytb 04-18-11 06:59 PM

good luck! My prayers for you.

CrankyFranky 04-18-11 08:16 PM

Good luck,NOS88.
My doggie is always on lead too. I guess that covers it.
Cheers!

JanMM 04-18-11 08:56 PM

Good luck on making that retina settle down and stay put. Hope you picked a practitioner of "Painless Eye Surgery".

Louis 04-18-11 10:01 PM

Best wishes, NOS88, for a successful surgery and recovery.:thumb:

B. Carfree 04-19-11 12:42 AM

Good luck. My wife may end up needing this surgery, but she is trying to avoid it.

Northwestrider 04-19-11 12:55 AM

Good luck, we look forward to hearing of your successful recovery

kr32 04-19-11 03:05 AM

Good luck NOSS88. I hope it all works out for the best.
KR

John E 04-19-11 07:23 PM

Best wishes to you. As a 7.5-diopter myope with who has had one retinal tear (successfully repaired), I worry a bit about potential detachment.

maddmaxx 04-20-11 10:10 AM

Good luck nos. I've had 4 small tears repaired in the last year so I feel for you. I'm looking forward to hearing that your fixed ( :eek: ) and all is well.

NOS88 04-23-11 10:30 AM

Didn't go well. Have another round of surgery this coming Wednesday. Can't say much more at this point.

DnvrFox 04-23-11 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by NOS88 (Post 12545548)
Didn't go well. Have another round of surgery this coming Wednesday. Can't say much more at this point.

So sorry. Praying for better results.

cyclinfool 04-23-11 11:24 AM

I hope round 2 is successful - we are all thinking of you.