Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I hope a breakthrough

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I hope a breakthrough

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 02:51 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope a breakthrough

Well, not for me. I ride enough.

My wife has decided to get back into riding. So we have been riding one of the local trails (Cross Seminole Trail) for 25 or 16 miles depending on the amount of time we have.

Trails drive me crazy. There are people out there with "leads" for their dogs. The leads have reels and seem to be about 100' long. Also, almost no one seems to pay attention to where they are going.

So, riding on a trail, is looking ahead, seeing someone, are they sane (yes? no?), usually no, slow down, get by them and speed up again. So it is slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up.

Val has been increasing her speed and her ability to sustain has increased almost every ride.

Sunday, Val decided to ride. I suggested we go over to the Seminole Wekiva Trail which is 4 miles by road. Val was hesitant to ride on the road. I said that the traffic will be minimal on Sunday morning. With a bit of cajoling, and pleading, I managed to prevail. Prevailing in such matters is not something that happens often which I understand is a usual sort of thing.

Anyrate, we got up to the trail without incident and up the trail fine. At Lake Mary Blvd, we ran across a group that I ride with routinely. I asked Val if she wanted to try to hang onto the rear. She was good for trying it so on we hopped.

When I ride with these people, I usually pull. But I was good and hung back with Val (I know what is good for me). Besides convincing her to come out and dropping her strikes me as bad manners.

The group ran at 18 to 22. That is faster then we did on the trail, but Val was fine. The group even broke up on a windy section and we passed a bunch and ended up near the front. Val did great.

At the 23 mile point, the group turned west. I asked Val if she wanted to head for home which was 10 miles away. She figured she had done enough so back we went. It is no good to take someone out and beat them up.

We got back. We had a higher average speed then we had on the trail. And Val was fresh as a daisy. The miniture intervals on the trail kind of beat you up.

Val was even talking about doing "longer" rides. So a success all around.

Pat
Old 04-18-11, 06:46 PM
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
...... So a success all around.
Old 04-18-11, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus