Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Century when you're over 80

Have two fellas in the one club (Big Wheels Bicycle CLub based out of Tonawanda NY) who'll be doing the century again this season.
    Have no idea how many either has done but I do know the one-Richard U. who turns 83 this year-has over 300,000 miles of cycling in his career.
    I've been with the club 9 years .
    In that time: Bruno P has completed 5 centuries and 3 metrics (along with sevral 50mile Sunday rides)
    Richard has completed about the same.
    Wondering if anyone else rides with guys like these two?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger63 View Post
    Wondering if anyone else rides with guys like these two?
    No, but I'm hoping some of the new guys in my club will be in about 25 years.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a guy that is 74 yo and he really doesn't care to ride centuries anymore. He may ride one a year if the mood strikes him. He's a former racer and life long rider but where we live every century is difficult. Even I'm not all that enthusiastic about doing more than a couple centuries a year and I'm 20 years his junior. I guess it comes down to how you want to use your time. To do century rides well it takes a lot of time on the bike. Everything else we do competes for that time.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As people get older, I understand that they figure that a metric "is enough". I still enjoy centuries. But doing one at 80 is a tall order. Shoot even seriously considering a century at 80 (and not laughing at yourself for being delusional) is a tall order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Centuries at age 80... whether one likes to ride them or not, it's nice to know that the capability exists at that age, at least in some specimens. There may be hope for us, yet.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's encouraging. As a mere lad of 72 I hope to do a century this year and I've sighed up for one in September.