Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are sore ankles a necessary consequene of biking?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 09:41 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok, granted it has been only a week of restarting biking, BUT I have noticed an increase of aches and pain around the ankles. I remember from previous biking that it was not uncommon for ankles to hurt in the evening.

I don't think this is in response to cold temperature damage as it has been about 60 during the rides.

Is this normal for restarting biking? Is there anything to mitigate the reaction?

Thanks

Huff
Old 10-22-04, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've not had problems with aches around the ankles after riding, I find its
pretty easy on the joints (knees, ankles etc.)
Are you having joint pain or is it more muscular? I'd expect the muscles
to get used to being used after coming back to riding.
If its joint pain you might want to go to LBS and have them fit your
shoes/clips etc. as that might be a cause of the pain.
As I said you really shouldn't be experiencing joint pain (ankles)
from riding.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-22-04, 11:37 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No
Old 10-22-04, 01:30 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One thing I have noticed about newcomers to biking, and I suppose a returnee would have the same fault, is that they try to pull too high a gear.This will in fact put strain on the leg muscles, and if you have a weaker ankle, then this will be affected aswell. Try coming in gently and take it slower at first, but put a few extra miles on your rides. That thing about The high gear. Try pedalling a couple of gears lower, but pedalling faster. This will mean less effort going on all the joints and muscles in the legs, and make it a little easier.

Incidentally, I took up riding 15 years ago thanks to a gammy knee that stopped me running. It had been progressivelu getting worse over the space of about 5 years but I realised that I had to keep the fitness I still had left, and cycling gave me the exercise I needed. I now no longer have a gammy knee. That disappeared after about 2 years riding.

You haven't mentioned if you use Spd's but if you do, then try changing the cleat position to something that may be better. I would also look at saddle height to see if you this is causing a restriction at the ankle by being too long, in which case you are stretching too far, or if the saddle is too low, the ankle is constantly bent.
Old 10-22-04, 02:25 PM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a wonky ankle that has not caused me any pain at all from biking (except sometimes when I fall off the MTB!). Running makes it swell up and hurt, but riding the bike seems to be good for it.
As Stapfam says, try putting more spin into your riding, or have a good look at the position of your feet on the pedals. I've been using clipless pedals all year, rode the old MTB with platforms this week, found that I had a little difficulty finding the most comfortable spot for my feet, which isn't a problem with the clipless pedals.
Old 11-02-04, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should not be having pain in your ankles, I am a Podiatrist, and there should never be pain in the ankles from riding, unless, previous trauma, over use, et al. I agree with Stapfam, and pinerider, that you should attempt to have a higher cadence, (spinning faster) in a lower gear. Foot position, as previously mentioned is also important, see if you are putting extra weight on the outside of your foot when pedaling. If so this may be creating a "sinus tarsi syndrome". This is a fancy name for a problem where two bones that are located in the ankle region, "shear=move in opposite directions on each other creating friction". Thsi will many times cause swelling, and pain especially towards the end of a ride. The swelling will be most prononuced on the front outside portion of the ankle. As pinerider noted this is more common in runners. If the problem persists see your local Podiartrist, and bring the shoes you wear when biking, and make sure you describe when and how the problem commences, and is exacerbated aka, made worse. I hope this helps
2002 ALMS TT 412 Hp@crank
2006 750Li

"I thought of it while riding my bike" Einstein on the Theory of Relativity
Old 11-03-04, 11:55 AM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for all your feedback.

I don't have extra ankle soreness now, but was concerned that with restarting biking I might have a problem.

As tpsdpm guessed, I used to be a runner and probably created some injury then.

If I start noticing an increase in soreness, I will go to a Podiatrist. I have noticed with the new bike there is less flexing of the ankle to increase power on the strokes. The stroking is more regular. I think cadence is ok. I was out adjusting new cyclometer last night. I have to figure out a new mounting method as it was only working about 1/4 of the time because the sensor on the crank kept on slipping when my shoe hit it. But cadence was between 50 and 70, with most of the
time being between 60 and 65.

Huff
Old 11-03-04, 12:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I usually have a cadence of between 85-105 rpm.

How about the rest of you?
Old 11-03-04, 12:14 PM
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another cause of sore ankles is the practice of "ankling." Sheldon Brown's glossary entry of ankling. It refers to changing the angle of the foot, pointing down at the bottom of the stroke and up at the top of the stroke. I find myself doing this sometimes and my ankle always reminds me to stop.
Old 11-03-04, 01:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I usually have a cadence of between 85-105 rpm.

How about the rest of you?

Really ought to be on a new thread, but I ride a mountain bike and mountain Tandem. Cadence varies on both. The Tandem has quite high gearing for its use, and when we hit the lowest gear our aim is to keep at 80 as a minimum. Doesn't always work as Lowest gear, hill getting steeper and longer, and energy going does mean that we drop to 70 sometimes. Point is below 65, we fall Over unless it is very smooth. Mind you, we like to keep at around 100 on the flat, and coast after we reach 120

Mountain bike is easier, and lowest cadence is 80, very rarely below unless very steep hill. Normal cadence is 90/100 and coast down most hills at much over this.
Old 11-03-04, 01:11 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ah, ankling is what I used to do with the old bike in a century long ago and far away