Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tubular Clincher - "It takes one minute to install" -- NOT

I spent over an hour trying to mount a Tufo tubular clincher to my Rolf Elan front wheel. The first 3 times I managed to get the tube over one rim and applied the required 15psi the tire popped off the rim. I quit with the the bead seated on all but 6" on either side of the presta valve.

Has anyone tried / succeeded in using these tires? The construction looks good and 330 TPI should ride nice. They are 700x21 and run 115psi - 220psi. I'm moving the Conti GP 4000 over to the Nimble Spider wheelset on my Colnago. I weighed the rim/tube/tire and it's approx 280g - the same as the Tufo setup.

The instructions say it should install in a minute or less!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sold Tufo tubulars as race tires. Once I raced on them and started talking with other racers, I discovered they are good for training but terrible for racing. They have high rolling resistance and they ride like a garden hose. I used them one season and replaced them with Vittoria Corsa EVOs. Here is a link to a review of several tires with the Tufo tubular discussed at the bottom. It sounds like these guys had a similar problem as you are facing - not encouraging. http://bethelcycle.com/articles/road...cher-pg227.htm
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 years ago and my shop tried to sell me these tyres. I resisted strongly. I felt that IF I felt the need for tubs- I would do it properly.

Few months later and I went into the shop and they gave me a pair of used ones. The person that bought them had difficulty fitting them- They were heavier in comparison to a clincher and when he had a puncture- the Sealant that he had put in the tube- did not work. Exactly the reasons why I had resisted in the first place.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Vittoria Corsa EVOs.
    +1 but they are not as durable as Gatorskins, I use the EVOs on my Tarmac which is my club ride and Gatorskins on the Simoncini which is my training and distance ride.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent another hour trying to put the second tire on a different rim. My thumbs are bruised. I hope they come off easier because I'm packing up and returning them to the vendor.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you were saved from having to ride on them and then replace them.

In all fairness, Tufo has a system of tape, sealant and construction of the tubular tire (not tubular clinchers) that is very well thought out. The tubular tires look really nice in the box and mount in a matter of seconds using Tufo tape. The "inner" tube is butyl and holds air for a long time and supports Tufo's proprietary sealant. The tires seem to last and are good for training. I have seen the sealant work stopping flats and I was on a ride on a friends wheel, who was riding Tufo tubies, and saw the tire puncture and the sealant come out of the tire. In that case, the sealant did not work and we had to stop and he replaced the tire with a spare tubie.

The problem I have with Tufos is the ride and rolling resistance. The rolling resistance of the Tufo is twice that of competing tubular tires unless you pump them up to 220 psig and it is better but still higher. At 220 psig, the ride is horrible and I question the lateral traction for high speed turns.

I assume the Tufo tubular clincher is ruined if the sealant fails to fix a road puncture. I assume one would have to carry a spare tire just in case.

For performance and racing, I use the Vittoria tubies with the latex inner tubes and glue them on the rim. For training, I use clincher wheels and Conti GP4000s tires.

My wife has the Rolf Aero Elan wheels with the 4000s tires. That is a very sweet setup that is very lightweight, somewhat aero and a very nice ride. She trains on them and uses them for hill climb races. The Rolfs are not sturdy enough for me.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post

My wife has the Rolf Aero Elan wheels with the 4000s tires. That is a very sweet setup that is very lightweight, somewhat aero and a very nice ride. She trains on them and uses them for hill climb races. The Rolfs are not sturdy enough for me.
    My Colnago Master Olympic steel frame bike has Rolf Elan Aero wheels (bought from my Volvo mechanic) with GP 4000 tires. I like the tires - 280g for tire/tube/rim tape. The bike is under 18 lbs at 61cm and is my lightest ride. I have not put many miles on it yet but it is quickly becoming a favorite.

I just bought two new GP 4000 tires and I thought I'd upgrade my Colnago Ovalmaster (it has Nimble Spider wheels). I'll put the new tires on the rear wheels and move the older tire from the Olympic to the front on the OvalMaster.
    I have some blue stripe Vreldstein (sp?) tires with high TPI that I like. I rode some very nice Corsa CX tires (yellow) that I got with the Nimble Spider wheels but sold them with a yellow bike.
    Korval is Ships

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard of this make and type of tire. Could someone please fill me in on the construction of the tire. I have always pictured a tubular as a "sew-up" tire and a clincher as the standard tire/tube with a bead on each side. I would appreciate any input ya'll could give me on this tire. thanks in advance.

Bill

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I haven't heard of this make and type of tire. Could someone please fill me in on the construction of the tire. I have always pictured a tubular as a "sew-up" tire and a clincher as the standard tire/tube with a bead on each side. I would appreciate any input ya'll could give me on this tire. thanks in advance.
    It's essentially a tubular that is sewn around the tube but, rather than being glued on, it fits between the flanges of a clincher rim. I'm not a believer in using mega air pressures so I've never tried them.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RG,
    Thanks for the gouge, I learned something today. These are new to me. What pressures do these tires run at?

Bill

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    RG,
    Thanks for the gouge, I learned something today. These are new to me. What pressures do these tires run at?
    I don't know how low you can go. The people I've ever talked to who have used them like to talk about 140psi and above. I think that's insane.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tufo is located in the Czech Republic and was operated during the Soviet occupation. The website is very complete.

http://www.tufo.com/products/

I use the Vittoria Corsa EVO CX. I typically run these at 120 psig. With the latex inner tubes, the pressure declines more rapidly over time so I like to top them up for the start of a race.

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/s...se/#product-71

Many racers run their tubies at higher pressure and that is well within the ratings of tire per the specifications.

The last discussion of tubular tires resulted in a thread lock down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their sizing is kinda wierd. 28"x 21mm???
    http://www.tufo.com/c-giro-twix/
    Look at the chart, it's 622, so why not call it a 700x21c?
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This tire is not a tubular. It is a clincher that rides like a tubular(supposedly), like a Vittoria EVO. It also is notoriously hard to mount on almost any rim. There is a Park tool that allows you to push the tire on to the rim with leverage which appears to be no longer made. This is not going to help you however when you flat in the middle of nowhere.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    This tire is not a tubular. It is a clincher that rides like a tubular(supposedly), like a Vittoria EVO. It also is notoriously hard to mount on almost any rim. There is a Park tool that allows you to push the tire on to the rim with leverage which appears to be no longer made. This is not going to help you however when you flat in the middle of nowhere.
    http://www.tufo.com/technology-2/ I think it is a standard Tufo tubular with a mounting mechanism that mounts on a clincher rim - maybe. It has the same features and benefits of similar Tufo tubulars. And of course if you flat a tubular tire mounted on a clincher rim, one has to carry a spare tubular clincher or call for a pickup.

Obviously, Tufo is trying to expand the use of its tubular technology by creating a mounting system for clincher rims. In reality, it is a logical business decision and a cool idea. However, they just do not seem to work well.

I find Tufo's obsession with high pressure interesting. I was trying to find a nice word and interesting is the best I could come up with. The taped on Tufos that I owned rode like a garden hose at 160 psig. Contrast that to a Vittoria at 120 psig which is a pleasure to ride and offers low rolling resistance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies. The TUFO tires I have had trouble with in the past were regular clinchers like the Vittoria EVO tires. There is no cross section view on the web site but they look like a hybrid between a clincher and tubular. I guess the tires in question have some kind of casing that hooks on to a clincher rim vs. gluing a traditional tubular. If you have to carry around some kind of flat sealant, to me, you might as well go with tubeless tires. At least if you get stuck you can put a regular tube in to get back on the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi robtown,

You should have inserted the valve first with the hole at the "12 o'clock" position and finished opposite to the valve. If you can't work the last bit over the edge of the rim try inflating the tire up to 100PSI without any rim and just leave it to stretch for about 24 hours.