Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prostate ? problems riding

Ok 52 year old male, I have been diag with an enlarged prostste but psa has been normal .99 I have started hybrid biking everyday about 20 miles a day. Any of you guys know if this can/will cause prostate cancer or a rise in my psa ?? I do have some discomfort in the area after several days riding and I have a good seat with the cutout. Also have started to notice some slight erectile problems. Any advise or help is appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WARNING: I have no medical background, and if I were in doubt about your problem, I'd take my prostate to a doctor. But I've been riding for years, and talked with several docs about this for stories when I was a newspaper reporter.
    Cycling can raise your PSA, and my experience is that a lot of physicians don't consider that. I think the PSA test is pretty vague anyway--my doc doesn't bother with it for most patients, though he does for me because I'm 66 and my dad died of prostate cancer.
    I think (remember, no medical background) discomfort "in the area" is more likely to be due to pressure either on your taint or on the underlying nerve (pudendal? Can't remember) than to the prostate, which is fairly well protected in there. But that same nerve (or another one in the area; remember, no medical background) can be involved in erectile issues. I mean, I've heard that. Personally, no problems, the Louisville Slugger works fine, but a friend told me...
    From a cycling standpoint (where I do have a background), I've never been comfortable on cutout saddles. I have four Brooks B-17s, which have eased the problem (you know, the problem I don't have?). And saddle setup seems to be critical--a millimeter or two or three up or down on the nose makes a difference.
    Oh, hell, go to the doctor. But try to find one who knows a little about cycling. Also, there've been about 10 billion words written on this topic. Try googling "cycling impotence" and stand back.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doc checks my prostrate every year. Says I still have one and it is still large.
    I ride 12,000 miles a year. Age 69 years.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Does bicycle riding increase my risk for prostate cancer?
    Bicycle riding does not cause prostate cancer."
    http://www.netwellness.org/healthtop...ate/box2.cfm#h

I'm not a doctor but I am a nurse and agree that cycling is not a risk factor for prostate cancer.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is the Rido seat the best choice for comfort if you have an enlarged prostate ?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 years ago and I had a prostate problem and talked to the surgeon about Cycling and Prostate as I had heard that the two could be associated. He pointed out that I was the only "Serious" cyclist he had on his books at present and if cycling was going to affect it- He would be treating every member of any local cycling club over 50.

PSA and you say it is not raised but an elevated PSA can occur after extreme physical action---If there was a prostate problem to start with.

Enlarged prostate does occur and is something to be kept under review but the PSA test is not that definite a measure. The only true way is a biopsy as even an elevated PSA level is not indicative of a prostate problem. I have a friend with a PSA count of 27 to 30 and despite a biopsy every 6 months- he does not have Cancer.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and assured by the Urologist, a cyclist himself, that cycling had nothing to do with it. I have been told though that riding, or having sex, 24 hours before a PSA test can raise the score. I totally agree with stapfam that the best way to find out if you have prostate cancer is with a biopsy.