Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A very good Friday

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A very good Friday

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 12:04 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A very good Friday

I decided to take Friday as a vacation day from work, my 10YO daughter had the week off of school and the weather has been miserable. Friday the forecast was for a beautiful day, sunny and high in the upper 50's. I could have ridden a metric, could have gone after a big hill, could have done a lot of things but I decided to pack the 10YO up and head for the Adirondacks to work on her goal - becoming a 46'er. A 46'er is someone who climbs all 46 high peaks in the Adirondack park (peaks over 4000' of elevation).

It was a full day, we got to the trail head of Cascade Mountain at 9:30AM with full winter day packs - there was a good 4' of snow at the tops of the high peaks and it had snowed a few inches the night before. We packed crampons, snow shoes, extra clothes and lots of water and snacks. We started off.

We were on the Summit of Cascade right at lunchtime, eat lunch and had a small break and then we added Porter to the list of summits, hitting that summit just after 1:30. We were off the mountain by 5:30 that evening. Then a big dinner at the Noon Mark Diner in Keene Valley and the long drive back home.

The sky was perfect, the snow was beautiful, the trails are a lot easier when they are snow packed - no rocks to scramble over or mud to slog through. You just need the cleats because there is ice in many places.

My daughter was totally whipped when done, and so was I. I am thinking this was a great cross training day, I did get my HR up and worked muscles I don't hit when cycling.

My daughter has a blog if you are interested.
Old 04-23-11, 12:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats to you both on a very good friday indeed!! Two down, 44 to go.

I climbed about a half dozen of the high peaks as a 20 year old and as I recall they ain't easy. I seem to remember prefering winter climbing to Summer and Fall also.

Congratulate your daughter on a great blog.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 04-23-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 03:23 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reads like a lot of fun Cyclingfool. A little more than 2% done, you've still got a lot of climbing to do. I got to watch my 27 yr old son race with the P-1,2's today at a local circuit race. My races were held before his and I found a nice high curb to sit on. Today was one of the few days so far this year that I was able to wear shorts and a SS jersey while riding a bike.
Old 04-23-11, 05:41 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,

Thanks - I think this will be a great adventure. We are already planning our next ascent. It may have to wait until after mud & bug season, mid July.

AJ - I have a lot of climbing to do in more ways than one. Whiteface is a High peak, it is the only one with a road up it (except for the last 200'.)
Riding up it does not count, we need to hike it. But I still need to get ready to ride it in Late June.
Old 04-24-11, 12:35 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just wish I could get back on the mountains again but unless there is a road leading to the top-I cannot do it nowadays. And that comes hard as an "EX" Cliff Leader from the Marines.

Hope you enjoy the time on the mountains as I know time with the daughter will be.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-24-11, 09:07 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like a great day and I'm sure one that will be remembered. I hope you took lots of pictures.
That Noon Mark Diner in Keene Valley sounds very like the one on the Lake Placid tri bike route I used to pass. There was one on the way to Elizabethtown that I stopped at one time on the way back to the North Pole campground too, and I can't remember which it is. I sure did enjoy that summer in Wilmington, and that whole area.
Old 04-24-11, 09:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts