Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raise your blood pressure - read this

If you have low blood pressure and need to kick it up, read the comments attached to this article: http://verdenews.com/main.asp?Sectio...82&TM=40412.88

Have ridden the road in the article without major incident but I hope I never run into the people that posted comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much the same thing happens around here all the time, except the president of the paving company would be on the city council...
    This isn't a real fix, but it's better than nothing and cheap enough that you might be able to get approval: In a couple of places I've been lately, there are frequent signs with bike icons and lame reminders to SHARE THE ROAD or BIKES HAVE RIGHT OF WAY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does it not surprise me that this is in Arizona?

SP
    Bend, OR

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Arizona was generally regarded as bike friendly. Or is that just the Tucson area?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to stop reading before getting too deep into the comments... it's just too much.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should it raise anyone's blood pressure? The comments are just another incidence of people with differing viewpoints expressing their views. Lack of agreement doesn't make anyone inherently evil.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having never ridden or seen this road, it is impossible to make an assessment. But I will not ride on certain roads in my area, and nothing short of a bike path alongside it would change my mind. Some roads are just not a good fit for cycling.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    read the comments on any story at any paper web site and you will find that the commentariat consists mainly of the most reprehensible people of our society. Our local paper requires that the person making the comments identify themselves, doesn't really help that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    If you have low blood pressure and need to kick it up, read the comments attached to this article: http://verdenews.com/main.asp?Sectio...82&TM=40412.88

Have ridden the road in the article without major incident but I hope I never run into the people that posted comments.
    I'm confused and disappointed ... my blood pressure didn't go up, I didn't even get a woody.

I skimmed through some of the comments and really, they were just about the most respectful I've ever seen from motorists on a bicycle issue. If your blood pressure went up over those maybe you should consider counseling.

As to the road in question, having ridden (and driven) my share of mountains, if the road requires switchbacks, then it's already not a high speed throughway, at least not in the switchbacks part.

Having a shoulder on the uphill should be sufficient. Of course 4ft is always better than 2, but I've ridden plenty of climbs where even 2ft wasn't possible... there was basically a white line right at the edge of the pavement. Downhill, I usually end up wanting to pass the cars in the switchbacks, rather than worrying about them passing me. Don't need a shoulder for that.

If they merely can't be bothered to move the guardrail or meet state standards, why not just paint a "Do Not Pass Bicycles" on the road every 1000 ft on the uphill side. But a lot depends on what's even possible. To be fair, switchbacks are not your normal DOT project... they are an edge case, and often the terrain dictates what is possible, rather than DOT guidelines.

HEY... looking at google maps, I can't even see where a real switchback is even required on this road. 100ft of elevation change? Now I'm really confused.
    5 out of 5 people think the other 4 are idiots. - me
    The only thing more incorrect than politically incorrect is politically correct. - me
    If 3 were 5, you'd be a 10. - me (or: If 3 were 5, you'd be in mensa.)
    Sarcasm truly is wasted on the simple. - me
    How small does your __ have to be to drive like that? - me
    It's not how fast you get old... it's how fast you get irrelevant.. - me
    The plural of anecdote is not data. - grolby

My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more curvy mountain road then switchbacks. Pretty much all the elevation change happens there. There is plenty of room to widen the road and put in bike lanes, but, there are two things running against it. 1) it's not near Prescott, and 2) it would cost more. So, unless someone makes a big stink, it probably won't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing should be made clear. There are no true switchbacks on the road. I have bombed down at 45 mph and arrived safely at the bottom. There are not even real sharp curves. Currently the road is narrow for a 2 lane road and it has zero shoulder. In general many drivers exceed the speed limit by about 20 mph on the flats. The area has several retirement oriented developments along it. Some of those old drivers are really cranky and always in a rush. There was even one road rage incident where a guy took a *** shot at a car that was driving too slow for him. Shooter behind bars right now.

I am surprised that the thing has not been fixed long ago as US Senator John McCain's summer retreat is off the same road.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Widen the asphalt, re-stripe the road to narrow the travel lanes, and reduce (and enforce) the speed limit.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost any online article remotely involving bicycles on roads will draw similar ignorant comments. In fact, pretty much any public forum about any subject will draw many stupid responses. Newspaper sites are the worst in this respect. Everyone comes to the discussion with an axe to grind.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.