Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N+1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 08:38 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
N+1

I thought I had kicked the habit but I picked up a new Golf Club Friday. I'm very happy with all my clubs except my 3 wood so thought it time to try another. This one was on sale plus I traded in a club I had won at a tournament that was still in the wrapper so this will be a fairly inexpensive experiment. Golf technology is mimicing bike technology on materials and options these days.

Since I'm back to riding I'll now have to pursue a new frame for the mountain riding I do. I have to figure out a way to shave 3lbs off my current setup which is with a Trek 5900. I was going to pull the plug late last year but when I got ill I didn't know if I would even be able to do those type rides anymore--and I missed last year's models at reduced prices. I cannot find last year's fram in my size and the new frame is now ridiculously more expensive so pursuing the options. Maybe my Trek will get a crack and get replaced with a new model**********?
Old 04-23-11, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My nephew bought a new R11 3w two weeks ago and is already saying he wants to sell it. I may have to have a talk with him tomorrow even though I like my current 3w.
I have not bought any golf clubs in years, I like what I have too.
Old 04-23-11, 10:01 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I lived near Palm Springs, I bought a driver at a thrift store for whacking random golf balls I'd find in the local water channels. My dog used to love chasing them. So many golfers in the area that it was no problem to find orphaned golf balls for free.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-24-11, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I hit driver off the deck. I walk with a light carry bag. 8 clubs, all old. Putter, sw, pw, 8, 7, 6, 4, driver. Actually hit the driver straighter than my 3w or 5w. Still shot in the 70s from the white tees. Fairways and greens.
Old 04-24-11, 05:43 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JP - look at this web site:
https://www.northeastcycling.com/Bike...html#Trek_5900

You may not need to get a new frame.

Look around this website - it is my bible for the local climb information. The author does not seem to keep up with it much anymore (last update was 2 years ago) but I bet if you sent him an email he will let you know what the latest in climbing machines is.

I looked into his setup and it was too rich for my blood, but you may already have the frame.
Old 04-24-11, 06:25 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
JP - look at this web site:
https://www.northeastcycling.com/Bike...html#Trek_5900

You may not need to get a new frame.

Look around this website - it is my bible for the local climb information. The author does not seem to keep up with it much anymore (last update was 2 years ago) but I bet if you sent him an email he will let you know what the latest in climbing machines is.

I looked into his setup and it was too rich for my blood, but you may already have the frame.
Thanks! My setup is very, very similar to his but I'm 18+ lbs but maybe it's in part because I'm riding a larger frame and I suspect that makes some difference. I know my pedals are a little heavier but outside of that I struggle to find where I can shave the weight. It's hard to find it even if it's 50 grams here and there.
Old 04-24-11, 07:53 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need an 850g frame with a BB 30 bottom bracket, SRAM Red, EE brakes, Look Blade pedals, light bars, stem and seatpost, and Zipp tubular 202s. That ought to get you to 14#. Maybe a lighter crank too. Start with a Parlee Z5 frame.
Old 04-24-11, 03:17 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know the total for the new Roubaix...15lbs with pedals, cages, and seat bag. I've been told that it's created some issues for the guys riding the new Mercx frame that I almost bought...
Old 04-24-11, 07:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Sounds like you need an 850g frame with a BB 30 bottom bracket, SRAM Red, EE brakes, Look Blade pedals, light bars, stem and seatpost, and Zipp tubular 202s. That ought to get you to 14#. Maybe a lighter crank too. Start with a Parlee Z5 frame.
Still balancing the two weddings! I have the Zero Gravity brakes but I know the Look carbon pedals are probably 200 grams heavier than the newer Keo's. The Hed Ardennes are 200-300 grams heavier than the Zip 202s but it's hard for me to leave clinchers. I have to have the saddle model as it's proven. Would a Parlee Z5 be lighter than the lightest Cervelo? Anyway, I'll probably doing really good to get it down to 15.5 with my heavier RD and 11-32. It's probably kinda "stupid" to spend that much to get the 3 lbs as my "racing" climbing days are probably behind me as I'm enjoying the touring speeds. But maybe a new setup might just do the trick and spur some renewed training interests???
Old 04-24-11, 08:37 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think the Cervelo R5 is pretty light too. If you went SRAM Red with the XX cassette and RD, it would be only 45g heavier than the road der and cassette. That's what my wife has it is is light. I've not gone to tubulars because I don't want to get caught with a flat I can't repair. Carrying a spare 300g tubular sort of negates a big part of the weight advantage. I plan, I think, to stick to the DA clinchers. At 1400g for my weight they have been bomb proof. They spin so smoothly and ride with comfort.
Old 04-25-11, 10:16 AM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I would think the Cervelo R5 is pretty light too. If you went SRAM Red with the XX cassette and RD, it would be only 45g heavier than the road der and cassette. That's what my wife has it is is light. I've not gone to tubulars because I don't want to get caught with a flat I can't repair. Carrying a spare 300g tubular sort of negates a big part of the weight advantage. I plan, I think, to stick to the DA clinchers. At 1400g for my weight they have been bomb proof. They spin so smoothly and ride with comfort.
That is where I was headed. I was thinking I'd use my DuraAce initially. I have the XX cassette.
Old 04-27-11, 08:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ping G5 here. Kinda "old" but still fits my game well. Won't be changing any time soon. KZG irons too
Old 04-27-11, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to figure out a way to shave 3lbs off my current setup
Sometimes, depending on your weight, body fat, and build, it's easier and cheaper to take three pounds off the rider.