Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-11, 01:06 PM   #1
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Did you exercise today? (other than biking)

We have a "did you ride today" thread that IMHO is pretty good. Keeps the motivation going.

Okay, what about a "did you exercise today" thread, other then biking!!

Okay, I will start.

Today I did a full upper body workout with free weights at the gym. I an got down too..

Time, 1hour and a half..

Tomorrow, I will be doing legs. Will post that then..
cehowardGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 01:26 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not a work out but at the Daughters all Week digging a hole--A big hole.

They want a Patio----A sunken Patio. 2ft deep and 30ft x40ft and it is on Clay. Nasty wet sticky stuff that does not come off the shovel IF you ever manage to get it on there

So no work out but lost 6lbs this week- knee is killing me and my hands are about twice the size they should be with some swelling around the knuckles. Good news is that the Abs are still there- I can feel the pain of them and the back is stronger. Bad news is that we now have to dig the trench- 2ft x 4ft x 40ft for the drainage.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 01:30 PM   #3
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Not a work out but at the Daughters all Week digging a hole--A big hole.

They want a Patio----A sunken Patio. 2ft deep and 30ft x40ft and it is on Clay. Nasty wet sticky stuff that does not come off the shovel IF you ever manage to get it on there

So no work out but lost 6lbs this week- knee is killing me and my hands are about twice the size they should be with some swelling around the knuckles. Good news is that the Abs are still there- I can feel the pain of them and the back is stronger. Bad news is that we now have to dig the trench- 2ft x 4ft x 40ft for the drainage.
As we get older, we have to watched the digging, shoveling, and bending over moves. Also, those knees and backs are not replacealbe, at least not in the normal sense...
Old 04-30-11, 01:34 PM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
As we get older, we have to watched the digging, shoveling, and bending over moves. Also, those knees and backs are not replacealbe, at least not in the normal sense...
I KNOW I am not as young as I used to be but My Son-in-Law is only 33. Few years time- when I will not be able to do jobs like this- it will be pay back time. Reckon I have 30 years of slave labour out of him for this.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 01:46 PM   #5
lubers

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did our Adopt-A-Highway cleanup section this morning, than went home and took my dog for a two mile walk. Tomorrow's plan is a forty mile bike ride.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
lubers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 06:24 PM   #6
CbadRider
Administrator

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I did 6 miles with my racewalking group this morning, then came home and did yard work.

Now I'm drinking a champagne apertif.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 06:36 PM   #7
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I wrestled with the chipper shredder this afternoon - stuffed the remains of a large dead burning bush into it - then spread the fresh mulch.
Crawled around the crawl space, too, positioning a portable sump pump to remove water resulting from a recent 5" rainy day/night in combo with an overflowing gutter.
Weed wacked around the back yard.
This was all after a 32 mile tandem ride.
Old 04-30-11, 06:37 PM   #8
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I did a 4 mile hike, half up hill. I'm still not riding after the rotator cuff surgery, so this keeps me working. It was quite a nice day, so good to be out on the trail.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 06:38 PM   #9
hikeandbike

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
About two hours of racquetball, another couple hours of mulching and finished off with an hour of weeding. I'm pretty tired at the moment. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful. Looking forward to a great ride. If I feel good enough after, might hike with the dog. Have a good and healthy weekend all.
hikeandbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 06:59 PM   #10
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
I did a 4 mile hike, half up hill. I'm still not riding after the rotator cuff surgery, so this keeps me working. It was quite a nice day, so good to be out on the trail.
That rotator cuff is a tough one. I had one go bad on me, and it took almost 6 months to heal. Now, I do specific exercises just to strengthen rotator cuff and the area around it. So far, no more injuries.

Wishing you a fast recovery,
Old 04-30-11, 07:01 PM   #11
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
I did 6 miles with my racewalking group this morning, then came home and did yard work.

Now I'm drinking a champagne apertif.

Old 05-01-11, 05:58 AM   #12
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp
Quote:
Okay, what about a "did you exercise today" thread, other then biking!!

Okay, I will start.

Today I did a full upper body workout with free weights at the gym. I an got down too..

Time, 1hour and a half..

Tomorrow, I will be doing legs. Will post that then..
I recently read Body by Science and am about 10 weeks into their short duration, high intensity, once a week lifting regimen. My muscle tone is better than ever and I have cut my gym time from 2-3 one hour sessions to a single 15 minute session. Now I have more time for riding and walking so I am happy as a clam.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 09:43 AM   #13
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
16 minutes of running with 15 minutes of fast walking mixed in, followed by 30 minutes of resistance training.

I'd love to ride today in addition to that, but - surprise - it's raining here. :/
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 03:30 PM   #14
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I recently read Body by Science and am about 10 weeks into their short duration, high intensity, once a week lifting regimen. My muscle tone is better than ever and I have cut my gym time from 2-3 one hour sessions to a single 15 minute session. Now I have more time for riding and walking so I am happy as a clam.
That is what is all about...

That is a great routine and it seems like it is perfect for you. We all have to find a routine that is works, doable, and we can fit it in our time schedule.

Again, great routine and keep up the good work..
Old 05-01-11, 03:36 PM   #15
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Today at the gym, I did a smokin leg workout.

Leg presses, Squats, Hack Lifts, leg extensions, and toe raises. Cooled down with some ab work and skipping rope.

Duration about 1 hour and 15 mins.
Old 05-01-11, 03:44 PM   #16
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer (Stolen, those SOB's), 1999 Specialized FSR Elite (soon to be cannibalized), 2011 Raleigh Record Ace, 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo (to be built with parts from the FSR)
Quote:
As we get older, we have to watched the digging, shoveling...
See, I though you were going to say "As we get older, we have to watch the digging and shoveling because someone might decide it's time to throw dirt on us"

Today, I ran 6.45 miles (have to love the preciseness of MapMyRun/Ride).
RunningPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 03:54 PM   #17
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
See, I though you were going to say "As we get older, we have to watch the digging and shoveling because someone might decide it's time to throw dirt on us" .
No way, we in our 2nd or maybe 3rd childhood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
Today, I ran 6.45 miles (have to love the preciseness of MapMyRun/Ride).
Good Show on the run...
Old 05-01-11, 03:59 PM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Did an intense workout this am - I greatly enjoy what I call "heavy" lifting (and other exercises) - going to my max and then pushing it a bit. Let's see - warm-up stretching, 90 second plank (I could have gone longer, but sometimes too much of this tends to pull a bit, so right now I am stopping at 90 seconds), two and one legged bridges with my feet raised high on the fitness ball (great for bicycle riders who always need to strengthen hip flexors), lots of BOSU ball balance and strength and abs exercises, including one and two-legged squats on the reverse BOSU ball, balancing on my butt while doing various leg and upper body exercises on the BOSU, 3 sets of 20 full-body dips, lat bar to max 7 x 3, overhead pulldowns, barbell presses - increased of 5 lbs from last time - 7 x 3, back and pecs on stretch bands.

Then went to church, and during the 10:30 - noon break (big event at noon), wife and I went on 2 mile walk in the open space park across the street from the church.

And, the neat thing is, that I have been lifting "heavy" for so many years, that I never get any aches and pains during or after the workouts. Seems my ligaments, tendons, and muscles are well-acclimated to what I do.

Last week I did 45 pushups x 2 in a row (just a short break between the sets) - working on hitting 72 in a row by my 72nd birthday. I think I might make it.

I do my weight exercises in my home gym.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-01-11 at 04:09 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 04:34 PM   #19
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes:
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I'll only ever need to post in this thread once:

No.

I did not exercise today (besides biking), I will not exercise tomorrow (besides biking) and I'll probably never exercise another day in my life, ever (besides biking).

Were it not for biking I'd be fat and dead.
Bob Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 05:30 PM   #20
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'll only ever need to post in this thread once:

No.

I did not exercise today (besides biking), I will not exercise tomorrow (besides biking) and I'll probably never exercise another day in my life, ever (besides biking).

Were it not for biking I'd be fat and dead.
But, was that a DEFINITE NO?
Old 05-01-11, 05:50 PM   #21
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Did an intense workout this am - I greatly enjoy what I call "heavy" lifting (and other exercises) - going to my max and then pushing it a bit. Let's see - warm-up stretching, 90 second plank (I could have gone longer, but sometimes too much of this tends to pull a bit, so right now I am stopping at 90 seconds), two and one legged bridges with my feet raised high on the fitness ball (great for bicycle riders who always need to strengthen hip flexors), lots of BOSU ball balance and strength and abs exercises, including one and two-legged squats on the reverse BOSU ball, balancing on my butt while doing various leg and upper body exercises on the BOSU, 3 sets of 20 full-body dips, lat bar to max 7 x 3, overhead pulldowns, barbell presses - increased of 5 lbs from last time - 7 x 3, back and pecs on stretch bands.

Then went to church, and during the 10:30 - noon break (big event at noon), wife and I went on 2 mile walk in the open space park across the street from the church.

And, the neat thing is, that I have been lifting "heavy" for so many years, that I never get any aches and pains during or after the workouts. Seems my ligaments, tendons, and muscles are well-acclimated to what I do.

Last week I did 45 pushups x 2 in a row (just a short break between the sets) - working on hitting 72 in a row by my 72nd birthday. I think I might make it.

I do my weight exercises in my home gym.

I am big time jealous...

Great workout area..

You keep this up and you will beat me on my push-up quest...
Old 05-02-11, 08:22 AM   #22
Ibslow

Bikes:
I did an intense upper body workout of just over 2 hours yesterday. I ride 2 to 3 days in a row and then rest the legs. I find that it takes me 2 days to recover from the weights. This time of year my emphasis is on the bike and in the winter months the emphasis is on the weights (full body) with some trainer time. I like to keep my rides around 2 1/2 to 3 hours of hillly stuff. I really enjoy morning rides but it has been so cool here I have to drag my old butt out the door. l am looking forward to warmer days.
Ibslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 01:35 PM   #23
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Did a few pushups, planks, quad sets and lower back/leg stretches before climbing into bed last night.
Old 05-02-11, 03:56 PM   #24
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Did a few pushups, planks, quad sets and lower back/leg stretches before climbing into bed last night.
WOW!!

I don't know how you can exercise just before going to bed. Exercising gets my muscles are sort of tingly, and it takes a bit for them to calm down!!
Old 05-02-11, 04:13 PM   #25
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

15-20 pushups doesn't keep me awake. My before-bed routine is very casual and low intensity.