Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way OT, but if you're trying to lose a few pounds, I just read the secret.

I've always thought the naturally lean were different from the rest of us. Of course discipline counts, but (for instance) my brother and I have similar exercise and diet habits--but I'm 6'4" and struggle to stay below 240, while he's 6'7" and generally weighs about 225.
    He's toast now, though. In the doctor's office yesterday, I was leafing through a 3-year-old magazine and found a story headed "10 Tips To Get Slender by Summer." My favorites (you may want to take notes):
    --Eat smaller portions (no, you think?).
    --Try diet soda. A 32-ounce fountain soft drink can have nearly 400 calories.
    --Avoid fatty meats such as sausage.
    And--wait for it:
    ---Instead of indulging in a gooey dessert, reach for a crisp apple or other fruit.
    No thanks are necessary. Just send me your old size 40 pants....

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fruit is good for dessert, especially if it has brown sugar streusel on the top and is baked in a flaky crust.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Fruit is good for dessert, especially if it has brown sugar streusel on the top and is baked in a flaky crust.
    ... and even better with a big dollop of whipped cream with a few drops of vanilla essence in it. Oh, and a small side of ice cream, too.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you got to read the advice for free rather than having to pay the doctor for it.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it Velo Dog. Smaller portions - fine. No sweet soda drinks - OK. No sausage - I can live with that. No gooey desserts - I'm having you banned.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'll save ya, berner! My wife is diabetic and makes sugar free pies that actually taste like they have sugar in them. My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie. (Cognitive dissonance strikes immediately), or her sugar free apple pie (other than the natural sugars in the apples).
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    I'll save ya, berner! My wife is diabetic and makes sugar free pies that actually taste like they have sugar in them. My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie. (Cognitive dissonance strikes immediately), or her sugar free apple pie (other than the natural sugars in the apples).
    Tom - I use to cook "diet" foods many years ago, my final creation was a sugar & fat free chocolate cheese cake. You don't want to know all the substitutions I made but I suspect it would have been classified as a toxic chemical waste dump. My wife banned me from cooking such things after that and now it's all natural cooking.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait! where do the cookies come in. I don't like your diet one bit.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just assume Beer is on the diet. Correct?

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the ice cream lovers (like me ) I recommend Stonyfield After Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt. Tastes better than the premium brands of chocolate ice cream but only 100 calories. Regular chocolate ice cream has 200-300 calories or more.
    Weight loss here I come.
    Last edited by RonH; 05-08-11 at 01:13 PM.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to correct wrong headed thinking, good beer comes under the heading of recovery drink, essential to good performance and maintaining a positive frame of mind and is consequently exempt from dietary restrictions.

Now ice cream should be a special category. I love frozen yogurt but Gray's Store here has a flavor of home made ice cream called Heavy Belgian Chocolate which should only be used by habitual users of chocolate. To gain maximal arterial clogging effect, It should be injected directly into the blood stream.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the same kind of guy who mainlines coffee.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
    My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie.
    That's just so not right!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what the "experts" thought 3 years ago. Lots of that has been overcome by later peer reviewed research. One example is use of "diet drinks". Now we know that the chemicals used in diet drinks has a significantly adverse effect on the body.

The more we learn the more we recognize that the Good Old Diet is the best. If you are going to eat sugar, eat sugar, not some substitute. If you don't want to eat sugar then work to satisfy your palate with something that satisfies. As Tom said there are lots of ways to make things taste good without having to load up with sugar.

Bottom line: There is no magic bullet, pill, exercise, etc for overweight and associated disease. What there is is a wholesome lifestyle that is a lifelong endeavor. Getting there and staying there is tough because you are fighting a food industry that wants to convince you that just because something doesn't contain dangerous bacteria it is healthy. Further, that The Criteria for good food is Cheap and Quick.

Side note: I was stopping for my free latte at out local hospital's cafeteria. On the menu board was something labled: "Why Bother". I asked what in the world that was. I was told it was Decaffinated, Fat Free milk, Sugar substitute; in other words Why Bother?.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 05-08-11 at 12:51 PM.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid fatty meats to lose weight? Wrong - eating fat doesn't make us fat.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pizza ok? Oh plez tell me pizza is ok.If not i dont want to hear it. Had some good Mexican food last nite at the famous Loma Linda,talk about carbo loading.

My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat 8 oz of healthy food every 3 hours, drink 64 oz of water every 24 (more if needed) and exercise regularly...

I am 6'-2" at 210#...I don't exercise as much as I would like, but I don't gain any weight either.

Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

riding since '76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
    Avoid fatty meats to lose weight? Wrong - eating fat doesn't make us fat.
    Animal fat has some association with weight gain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17426332

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Sounds like what the "experts" thought 3 years ago. Lots of that has been overcome by later peer reviewed research. One example is use of "diet drinks". Now we know that the chemicals used in diet drinks has a significantly adverse effect on the body.

The more we learn the more we recognize that the Good Old Diet is the best. If you are going to eat sugar, eat sugar, not some substitute. If you don't want to eat sugar then work to satisfy your palate with something that satisfies. As Tom said there are lots of ways to make things taste good without having to load up with sugar.

Bottom line: There is no magic bullet, pill, exercise, etc for overweight and associated disease. What there is is a wholesome lifestyle that is a lifelong endeavor. Getting there and staying there is tough because you are fighting a food industry that wants to convince you that just because something doesn't contain dangerous bacteria it is healthy. Further, that The Criteria for good food is Cheap and Quick.

Side note: I was stopping for my free latte at out local hospital's cafeteria. On the menu board was something labled: "Why Bother". I asked what in the world that was. I was told it was Decaffinated, Fat Free milk, Sugar substitute; in other words Why Bother?.
    +100

I think "Why Bother?" is what David Letterman said after his bi-pass surgery when he was told he can drink decaf but not regular coffee. He told this story on his show, adding "Why Bother?"
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    I really like the way you think.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This strand is so entertaining! Hey, here's my contribution.....I'm 64, 210 pounds. I ride 140-160 miles weekly. I consume a complete battery of nutrients from a sports nutrition store (DHEA, Q10, powdered multi, protein shakes, block aminos, etc.). I just got tired trying to figure out what to eat so I jumped on supplements. My food consumption has naturally decreased including overdosing on chocolate chip cookies! Every night I cover a gob of peanut butter with choc chip cookie morsels and plop down, watch some tv and enjoy it with no guilt. Yeah I want to weigh 190 but I'm not going to let it dominate my thoughts like it used to. With my milage I think I'll get there in a few more months anyway. The other thing I've noticed is that, as my weight drops and condition improves, my body naturally desires more wholesome foods and my "sweet tooth" lessens.
    Boy, 190 lbs sure would be nice in the mountains though.....ever picked up a 20 pound dumbell and thought, "this is how much weight I unnecessarily lug around"? It'll happen. Raydog

My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was out with my kid and a bunch of her friends after gymnastics a couple of months ago. It was really a fascinating observation - the fat kids drink soda, and lots of it, and the skinny kids don't; they drink water. At age nine, my kid orders off the kid's menu and looks for grilled, not fried, chicken. The less-than-trim kids order off the adult menu - and they clean the plate. It all starts early, my friends, it all starts early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was ready to sign up till we got to the part about no sausage.

smile,
    Jeff