Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-11, 09:18 PM   #1
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way OT, but if you're trying to lose a few pounds, I just read the secret.

I've always thought the naturally lean were different from the rest of us. Of course discipline counts, but (for instance) my brother and I have similar exercise and diet habits--but I'm 6'4" and struggle to stay below 240, while he's 6'7" and generally weighs about 225.
He's toast now, though. In the doctor's office yesterday, I was leafing through a 3-year-old magazine and found a story headed "10 Tips To Get Slender by Summer." My favorites (you may want to take notes):
--Eat smaller portions (no, you think?).
--Try diet soda. A 32-ounce fountain soft drink can have nearly 400 calories.
--Avoid fatty meats such as sausage.
And--wait for it:
---Instead of indulging in a gooey dessert, reach for a crisp apple or other fruit.
No thanks are necessary. Just send me your old size 40 pants....
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 09:32 PM   #2
CbadRider
Administrator

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fruit is good for dessert, especially if it has brown sugar streusel on the top and is baked in a flaky crust.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 10:25 PM   #3
Rowan
Has opinion, will express

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Fruit is good for dessert, especially if it has brown sugar streusel on the top and is baked in a flaky crust.
... and even better with a big dollop of whipped cream with a few drops of vanilla essence in it. Oh, and a small side of ice cream, too.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 11:14 PM   #4
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
At least you got to read the advice for free rather than having to pay the doctor for it.
Old 05-08-11, 05:20 AM   #5
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
That's it Velo Dog. Smaller portions - fine. No sweet soda drinks - OK. No sausage - I can live with that. No gooey desserts - I'm having you banned.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:02 AM   #6
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
I'll save ya, berner! My wife is diabetic and makes sugar free pies that actually taste like they have sugar in them. My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie. (Cognitive dissonance strikes immediately), or her sugar free apple pie (other than the natural sugars in the apples).

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:13 AM   #7
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
I'll save ya, berner! My wife is diabetic and makes sugar free pies that actually taste like they have sugar in them. My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie. (Cognitive dissonance strikes immediately), or her sugar free apple pie (other than the natural sugars in the apples).
Tom - I use to cook "diet" foods many years ago, my final creation was a sugar & fat free chocolate cheese cake. You don't want to know all the substitutions I made but I suspect it would have been classified as a toxic chemical waste dump. My wife banned me from cooking such things after that and now it's all natural cooking.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:25 AM   #8
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wait! where do the cookies come in. I don't like your diet one bit.
Old 05-08-11, 06:30 AM   #9
freedomrider1

Bikes:
I will just assume Beer is on the diet. Correct?
freedomrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:42 AM   #10
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
For the ice cream lovers (like me ) I recommend Stonyfield After Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt. Tastes better than the premium brands of chocolate ice cream but only 100 calories. Regular chocolate ice cream has 200-300 calories or more.
Weight loss here I come.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8

Last edited by RonH; 05-08-11 at 01:13 PM.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 12:04 PM   #11
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just to correct wrong headed thinking, good beer comes under the heading of recovery drink, essential to good performance and maintaining a positive frame of mind and is consequently exempt from dietary restrictions.

Now ice cream should be a special category. I love frozen yogurt but Gray's Store here has a flavor of home made ice cream called Heavy Belgian Chocolate which should only be used by habitual users of chocolate. To gain maximal arterial clogging effect, It should be injected directly into the blood stream.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 12:09 PM   #12
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Sounds like the same kind of guy who mainlines coffee.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 12:40 PM   #13
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe View Post
My favorite is her sugar free sugar cream pie.
That's just so not right!
Old 05-08-11, 12:46 PM   #14
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Sounds like what the "experts" thought 3 years ago. Lots of that has been overcome by later peer reviewed research. One example is use of "diet drinks". Now we know that the chemicals used in diet drinks has a significantly adverse effect on the body.

The more we learn the more we recognize that the Good Old Diet is the best. If you are going to eat sugar, eat sugar, not some substitute. If you don't want to eat sugar then work to satisfy your palate with something that satisfies. As Tom said there are lots of ways to make things taste good without having to load up with sugar.

Bottom line: There is no magic bullet, pill, exercise, etc for overweight and associated disease. What there is is a wholesome lifestyle that is a lifelong endeavor. Getting there and staying there is tough because you are fighting a food industry that wants to convince you that just because something doesn't contain dangerous bacteria it is healthy. Further, that The Criteria for good food is Cheap and Quick.

Side note: I was stopping for my free latte at out local hospital's cafeteria. On the menu board was something labled: "Why Bother". I asked what in the world that was. I was told it was Decaffinated, Fat Free milk, Sugar substitute; in other words Why Bother?.

Last edited by HawkOwl; 05-08-11 at 12:51 PM.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 01:02 PM   #15
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Many
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Avoid fatty meats to lose weight? Wrong - eating fat doesn't make us fat.
Old 05-08-11, 01:35 PM   #16
freedomrider1

Bikes:
Pizza ok? Oh plez tell me pizza is ok.If not i dont want to hear it. Had some good Mexican food last nite at the famous Loma Linda,talk about carbo loading.
freedomrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 03:45 PM   #17
wahoonc

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Eat 8 oz of healthy food every 3 hours, drink 64 oz of water every 24 (more if needed) and exercise regularly...

I am 6'-2" at 210#...I don't exercise as much as I would like, but I don't gain any weight either.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:00 PM   #18
springs

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo RS, Cannondale CAAD9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
Avoid fatty meats to lose weight? Wrong - eating fat doesn't make us fat.
Animal fat has some association with weight gain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17426332
springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 06:14 PM   #19
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
Sounds like what the "experts" thought 3 years ago. Lots of that has been overcome by later peer reviewed research. One example is use of "diet drinks". Now we know that the chemicals used in diet drinks has a significantly adverse effect on the body.

The more we learn the more we recognize that the Good Old Diet is the best. If you are going to eat sugar, eat sugar, not some substitute. If you don't want to eat sugar then work to satisfy your palate with something that satisfies. As Tom said there are lots of ways to make things taste good without having to load up with sugar.

Bottom line: There is no magic bullet, pill, exercise, etc for overweight and associated disease. What there is is a wholesome lifestyle that is a lifelong endeavor. Getting there and staying there is tough because you are fighting a food industry that wants to convince you that just because something doesn't contain dangerous bacteria it is healthy. Further, that The Criteria for good food is Cheap and Quick.

Side note: I was stopping for my free latte at out local hospital's cafeteria. On the menu board was something labled: "Why Bother". I asked what in the world that was. I was told it was Decaffinated, Fat Free milk, Sugar substitute; in other words Why Bother?.
+100

I think "Why Bother?" is what David Letterman said after his bi-pass surgery when he was told he can drink decaf but not regular coffee. He told this story on his show, adding "Why Bother?"
Old 05-08-11, 08:27 PM   #20
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
I really like the way you think.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 08:35 AM   #21
raydog

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh
This strand is so entertaining! Hey, here's my contribution.....I'm 64, 210 pounds. I ride 140-160 miles weekly. I consume a complete battery of nutrients from a sports nutrition store (DHEA, Q10, powdered multi, protein shakes, block aminos, etc.). I just got tired trying to figure out what to eat so I jumped on supplements. My food consumption has naturally decreased including overdosing on chocolate chip cookies! Every night I cover a gob of peanut butter with choc chip cookie morsels and plop down, watch some tv and enjoy it with no guilt. Yeah I want to weigh 190 but I'm not going to let it dominate my thoughts like it used to. With my milage I think I'll get there in a few more months anyway. The other thing I've noticed is that, as my weight drops and condition improves, my body naturally desires more wholesome foods and my "sweet tooth" lessens.
Boy, 190 lbs sure would be nice in the mountains though.....ever picked up a 20 pound dumbell and thought, "this is how much weight I unnecessarily lug around"? It'll happen. Raydog
raydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 09:06 AM   #22
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was out with my kid and a bunch of her friends after gymnastics a couple of months ago. It was really a fascinating observation - the fat kids drink soda, and lots of it, and the skinny kids don't; they drink water. At age nine, my kid orders off the kid's menu and looks for grilled, not fried, chicken. The less-than-trim kids order off the adult menu - and they clean the plate. It all starts early, my friends, it all starts early.
Altair 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 06:47 PM   #23
fat biker

Bikes:
I was ready to sign up till we got to the part about no sausage.

smile,
Jeff
fat biker is offline   Reply With Quote