Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With tears in her eyes, she was trying so hard.

Coming upon the base of the last hill before getting home. I spotted a young woman off to the side standing over her bike with head down. So, I pop over and ask if she is OK. She looks up with tears running down her face and says, "I can't get my new bike to shift." Yep, she's got a brand new Madone 5.9 with the chain on the large chain ring. I don't care who you are, you're not likely to make it up this hill with the chain on the large chain ring. It tops out at 17%. I dismount and ask if I can help. She shows me what's wrong, as she pushes both left side brifter levers to the right at the same time. "See, it won't shift." I show her the right way to shift onto the smaller chain ring by pushing just the smaller lever. Turns out she bought the bike yesterday, and when she asked about shifting, they said, "It's easy, just push the levers." Now I notice that both her knees are bleeding. She's started up the hill two times, run out of steam, not been able to unclip, and joined club Tombay. Each time, she returned to the bottom of the hill to try again! You got to love the tenacious spirit. OK, she's now in the correct gear, and I lead the climb up the hill. At the top, she's grinning from ear to ear. Made my day.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made her day also.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chalk one up for the good guys.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

...happy bike owner... antimike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 w SRAM Rival, 2010 Access XCL9.5 29er
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did a cool thing man. It shows that the cycling spirit is alive and what jerks the people were where she bought the bike. If I were her, I'd think twice about going back to where she bought the bike and seek out another LBS that will help out and not just assume.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. You earned 100 Good Karma Points. Too bad the shop didn't take 5 minutes to better explain how to use her bike. After all, she did drop a few bucks on it.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Awesome. You earned 100 Good Karma Points. Too bad the shop didn't take 5 minutes to better explain how to use her bike. After all, she did drop a few bucks on it.
    Get her phone number? Just kidding.

I sold a road bike to a neat lady who had never ridden one before. It was her idea (I was leaning her toward a hybrid), but we did the test ride together to show her how everything worked.

She's back home now, in Japan. Last I heard from her, she did a charity ride for the earthquake victims. Way to go.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living proof that chivalry is not dead. Nor should it be....

Good on you....

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the same guilty mistake yesterday- Someone who has ridden before and I loaned him one of my bikes. 10 miles to the cafe and on the way back I decided to check if the bike was right for him. Asked him to go into granny and it wouldn't. "See" he said- "I push the lever and nothing happens" Same reason- pushing both at the same time.

Now this is someone who does not have his own bike but has borrowed his Father-in-Laws spare one. I assumed that he knew enough to ride the bike- but F-i-Ls Bike- Downtube shifters.

But I reckon Phone number would be the minimum requirement- Then you can invite her on a ride to help her in her future problems. And invite her to join the 50 + if she is eligible or as a mascot if young enough.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You da man!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. Kudos. You got yourself a big dose of (good) karma. We should all be real nice to you, for a few hours anyway.
    Last edited by AzTallRider; 05-08-11 at 12:05 PM.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 CAAD10 - The Silver and Black; Cannondale CAAD10 DI2 - The Black Dahlia; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, she spent FOUR THOUSAND dollars on a bike and doesn't know how the shifters work?

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh it sounds like whoever sold her the bike assumed that she knew how considering that she was spending $4K. Most people who spend that kind of money are experienced cyclists who are probably on their 3rd or 4th road bike before they spend that kind of money.

I've heard all sorts of stories about people who spend that kind of money and don't have a clue about cycling.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely played, NOS88, nicely played. Did you also show her the FD trim feature, or will that be lesson #2 the next time you encounter her?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a great story! Made my day too.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That reminds me of that lady I helped last year, when she laid her bike down. She couldn't push it and was wondering why. Her brake caliper was jammed against the wheel. Anyhow great job, you made her day.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now why do I never encounter damsels in distress?

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
    Wait, she spent FOUR THOUSAND dollars on a bike and doesn't know how the shifters work?
    Happens in every field. I've known people who drop five grand on a camera body and more on pro-grade lenses and haven't got the first idea of how to use it. Sadly some people think that spending money is the way to get ahead, and if they spent more than you did then their gear is better than yours and therefore they are better than you. Not all have that "better than you" mentality, but I'll bet this damsel in distress had a lot of cash to burn and figured she might as well buy a nice bike as a regular bike. Still pretty shabby that the shop that sold it didn't check how much she knew about what she was buying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you! Just the kind of thing we need way more of. Everybody is somebody's hero. On that day you were hers.

Those who try to excuse the shop for not completely checking her out on the bike controls need a reality test. There is No Excuse for not going through each and every control and operation of a new piece of machinery with the new owner. If the new owner already knows all then the checkout can be very brief. If not, it may take some time. That the bike was expensive has no bearing on the issue. The shop dropped the ball big time.

As for her buying something expensive without knowing how to use it: Don't be so quick to judge and by judging put blame on her. That may have been a comfortable ride for her and the shop took advantage of her lack of knowledge to not suggest something a bit more economical. We don't know. What we do know is that a few minutes of Good Samaritan brought joy to her and that she had no more troubles. Too bad the people who made the profit off her didn't do that and really earn their money.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 05-08-11 at 12:33 PM.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used brifters, either, and would probably try to use her technique to shift and also wind up crying at the bottom of a steep hill.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Now why do I never encounter damsels in distress?
    Reminds me of the other day in one of my local parks... lovely park, about 2500 acres with a few trails and quiet roads. One of the roads is reserved for parks vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists so it's great to ride. Anyway, I encounted an older lady pushing her bike along a section that was completely flat, so I slowed to see if she was OK. Turned out she cycled to the park and walked around the park to enjoy the views (there are some punishing hills in the park, which she didn't like to do) and then cycled home. So she was perfectly OK, but appreciated the check.

Unfortunately not really a damsel in distress, she was easily old enough to be my mother. But there ya go...

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was so nice of you NOS88! I'm sure she will enjoy that bike - if she has the spirit to keep trying that hill, even after falling down, she'll be riding $4k worth soon enough.

When I saw the title of this thread I first thought it was going to be about coming across a woman who had been left in the dust by her SO after he asked her to go for a ride with him, then he went roaring off down the trail, or road, leaving her alone. Then he wonders why she does not love riding!
    Last edited by missjean; 05-08-11 at 01:21 PM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if her bike shop even did a fit for her when she bought it. When I got my road bike, the LBS set it up on a trainer and did a quick fit for me and had me check out the shifting since I had never used brifters.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, NOS88! That's the way to help a fellow cyclist. I feel bad for the young lady--here, she's spent considerable bucks on a bike that she can't ride correctly. If it is really as she described--that her LBS basically just shoved her out the door with virtually no instruction--I hope she has a big, burly boyfriend she can sic on 'em.

My Bikes
    '07 Trek 7.2 Fx; '07 Fuji Newest 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was very kind. You are the kind of person who should be in a bike shop! Did you tell about BF's??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast