Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post your "est" rides here!

So it might be fun to post your "est" rides (longest, fastest, etc.) just for grins

Here's mine:

LONGEST: 126.8 mi.

A "Birthday Double Metric" to celebrate my 63rd bday.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/153138

FASTEST RIDE: 20.8 mph ave.
    58 mi. Moving time. Includes paceline work. I have some "faster" rides, but it was before I got the Garmin 305 so I'm not so sure they are really very accurate. I got some really fast rides, but they include the part where I forgot to press the "timer stop" button so we got some of the ride home in the car.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/143544

FASTEST SPEED: 43.2 mph on a decent in the ride below.

MOST"est" CLIMB: 4,647 ft. And that was over 105 mi. I know, that's pretty sad. I'm a flat lander after all. Not much to climb here in So Fla. But it's a big deal for us.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/137035

LONGEST RIDE WITH OUT A STOP: 75.4 mi.
    We skipped the first SAG stop, missed the sign for the 2nd, so we really needed the 3 rd. My butt was sore!

HIGHEST AVE WATTS (over 50 mi ride) 217 watts.
    This is really suspect as I don't have a power meter so it's the estimate off the Garmin 305. It's probably bogus. But I think the category is valid for those who have a reliable way to measure it.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/223071

HIGHEST CADENCE: 135?
    I can't really sort on this and Garmin Connect shows 176 rpm which I don't believe, and I can't click on it to see the ride is was recorded on. I think the highest I can really recall that is probably accurate is about 135.

MOST CONSECUTIVE RIDE DAYS: 6.
    My wife gets a bit upset when I ride too much, so 6 is it. (This category is for 10 wheels)

MOST MILES IN A MONTH: 826 mi 4/2011.
    Last month, training for the MS 150

To make it easier for those who wish to post, here is the short list:

LONGEST RIDE:

FASTEST RIDE:

FASTEST SPEED ATTAINED:

MOST"est" CLIMB:

LONGEST RIDE WITH OUT A STOP:

HIGHEST AVE WATTS (over 50 mi ride)

HIGHEST CADENCE:

MOST"est" CONSECUTIVE RIDE DAYS:

MOST"est" MILES IN A MONTH:
    If anyone can think of a catagory to add, please put it in.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LONGEST: 123 -Cool Breze double metric

FASTEST RIDE: 50 miles 19.2 average. I rarely draft.

10 mile self TT 22.6 average flat course from a dead stop.

FASTEST SPEED: 56 on a tandem, 46 on a single

MOST"est" CLIMB: 12,000 ft on Breathless Agony

LONGEST RIDE WITH OUT A STOP: 70.

Highest Watts- no clue, never used a meter

HIGHEST CADENCE: no clue, don't use a cadence meter

MOST MILES IN A MONTH: 960

Fastest solo century- flat Palm Springs 5:45

Fastest climbing century 9800 ft- 7:10 ride time/740 total time (Ride Around the Bear)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best -"est" (fastest, steepest, longest, climby-est, etc are just not memorablest enough to remember),
    Three summers ago a solo ride in the Adirondacks - following a loop called the Teddy Roosevelt Ride. The weather was spectacular, the views were spectacular, the climbs were hard but rewarding and the downhills were screamers - particularly since the steepest & longest one had been paved the month before. I saw deer, hawks, snakes, ducks, loons, herons & all sorts of ground rodents, lots of crystal clear lakes, rugged mountain views and lots of trees. Lots of smiles were had. I only wish I took more pictures. I have done that ride many more times since but nothing can compare to that first time.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Best -"est" (fastest, steepest, longest, climby-est, etc are just not memorablest enough to remember),
    Three summers ago a solo ride in the Adirondacks - following a loop called the Teddy Roosevelt Ride. The weather was spectacular, the views were spectacular, the climbs were hard but rewarding and the downhills were screamers - particularly since the steepest & longest one had been paved the month before. I saw deer, hawks, snakes, ducks, loons, herons & all sorts of ground rodents, lots of crystal clear lakes, rugged mountain views and lots of trees. Lots of smiles were had. I only wish I took more pictures. I have done that ride many more times since but nothing can compare to that first time.
    Your right, most memorable would be a great addition. And the ride you speak of sounds like a winner. I'll have to look it up. I'll be in Albany from the end of June to mid July. Don't think I'll be able to find the time to do the TRR, but I do have a few rides though the Heilderberg's that I'll be doing. Thanks for sharing, and if you have a like to your TRR ride report, please post it.
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dairyland Dare 150km Ride Report

Three hilly challenge rides are held every year in the Kettle Moraine region in southwestern Wisconsin. These rides give Midwesterners a chance develop climbing strength and test ones determination. Collectively, these are known as the Horribly Insane Dare. I completed the 100km (75 miles actual) Horribly Hilly Hundreds (HHH) in June. Like many of the HHH riders, I found myself stuggling with the 15 to 20% hills. However, I finished, and knew with a better base and some changes to my climbing strategy, I could complete a ride like this without walking or resting.

I had to pass on the Insane Terrain Challenge in July. I focused my training on the Dairyland Dare held August 14th. This event offers 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 & 300km ride lengths. I pre-rode the 100, 150 & 200km routes, and targeted the 150 or 200km lengths for event day. More important than the length selected, I wanted to complete the event without walking and I would limit my substantial breaks to the 50 & 90 miles rest stops. The 150km route provides more than 10,000 ft of climbing and the 200km route has 13,550ft of climbing, plus a 22% climb is featured.

I knew that riding the area on a regular basis would be needed and I managed to ride the area eight times over a 12 week period prior to the event. I logged more than 1000 training miles during the nine weeks prior to the event. I also changed bikes, and put a compact double and an 11-32 ten speed cassette on my titanium road bike. The combination of wide gearing and a very stiff frame proved to be an effective improvement over my 30 speed touring bike.

After several weeks of near record rain and heat, bad weather was predicted. The forecast 24 hours before the event was for a high of 88f, 75% humidity and a 40% chance of rain. Event day would be much better than expected, with a heavy overcast and temperatures in the 70 to 80 degree range. The humidity was high, but the day was rain free.

I arrived at 6:40am, was able to park close to the start, and was in position to start a few minutes after 7am. The event is super-organized, with local police controlling intersections and more than 100 volunteers on the course. My batch of starters crossed the electronic timer and headed southeast over the rolling farm hills. Rolling is the best way to envision the course. Sections often look like an oversized roller coasters ride, with 40 mph drops that would last a thousand yards and a symmetrical climb that slows me to 8 mph for several minutes. Feeling strong, I used my 210 lbs mass to roll up the hill half way and then resumed speed quickly as I crested the top. This created a situation where I would pass a group on descent and I would be passed on the climb. In accordion fashion, I stayed with the same set of cyclist for the first 35 miles, with this pattern repeating itself a dozen times.

The first section ends in Mineral Point after 15 miles. With police stopping traffic everywhere, I was able to travel through this folksy rural town non-stop. Leaving town, I passed several dozen riders by just getting in a tuck and taking the corners at speed. It felt like a day at Mad River Glen, a ski resort in Vermont. This pattern held until we returned to Dodgeville. I also caught up to some of the faster riders I started the day with, by maintaining a solid pace in Dodgeville. After years of riding in Chicago, a little urban cycling is no reason for me to slow. I stopped with a group at a red light and was moving as the light changed. After a mile, I looked back to see a group of 8 in a pace line at about 21 mph. The guy behind me took the lead, and I put myself behind him. He slowed a little after a while and I resumed the lead. I finally dropped myself to the back as we approached Dodge State Park. I leaped ahead on the first decline, but was quickly overtaken on the first climb.

I began dropping way behind the rest of this group on a longer hill within Governor Dodge State Park. The park road then drops about 500ft over a mile and my speed hit 50 mph. This was a little sketchy since forest debris and damp pavement is not ideal on a curvy downhill. To my surprise, a very fast rider on a TT bike passed me! So, I’m not the only guy that’s nuts! I caught my group at the bottom of the hill. The climb out is in the 16 to 18% range, I slowed to 4 mph using a 34t chainring and a 32 rear cog. Others were walking. At the top of the hill, most riders used the second rest stop, but I kept going with supplies enough for the next 15 miles. After 35 miles of open farmland, we entered a rural section of forests and valleys. This is the kind of terrain that is so outstanding in this area. Thirty mile views are available from the ridges and secluded roads, sheltered by a canopy of trees, is the norm. Two long descents and two steep climbs dominate the section that’s starts after turning off Hwy 23 and finishes on County Road ZZ. These two climbs are the steepest for the first 50 miles.

I planned to take a substantial break at the 50 mile point. Two rest stops are set within 2 miles of each other on County road ZZ. I rode to the second stop, thinking my bag of food & supplements would be waiting for me. Due to my error, the items were at the first stop. So I backtracked and spent more than 10 minutes eating and preparing my bottles and Bento bag for the rest of the day. I was not feeling too strong at that point. Several weeks of hot weather had left me feeling blah. But I knew the existing weather and overcast meant that conditions were right for a long ride. I committed myself to the 150km length and decided that the 200km length would be too-much for my first Dairyland Dare. I also needed to finish by mid afternoon and needed to feel well enough to drive back to Chicago for a late dinner.

Leaving the rest stop, cyclist travel down Route Z for the first of two trips and are treated to a near mile long drop at high speed. As soon as that’s over, a mile long climb in the 5 to 9 mph range dominates the better part of ten minutes. After a mile of rolling hills, the route divides, with the 100km cyclists returning to the starting point, and the 150-300km riders continuing. The next four miles are mostly downhill, a nice break from the prior 10 miles that features three sharp climbs. The Dairyland Dare routes do provide substantial recovery time, and I began to feel stronger. A stair-step climb up route ZZ returns cyclist to the 50 mile rest stops. Soon after, a long stair-step decent down Korback Road provides the best section of the day. A mixture of open farmland, forest and rolling curvy pavement provide non-stop variety. After a short ride on Route Y, cyclists take Rosy Lane, a moderately steep stair-step climb.

At the summit, a rest stop is provided and an electronic timer is triggered. I nice long decent on County HHH follows and wide pavement made this speedy decent super easy. The turn-off to the 200 km route is at the bottom of the hill. I continue north on HHH, the turn-off on Knobs Road is within five minutes. Knobs road is a long stair-step climb that last about two miles. It’s a nice road, very quiet with a variety of farmland and forests. Knobs Road ends at County T, and I know I have only about 20% left to finish. The last 20 miles includes a lot of vertical, both up & down. The long grinding climbs are very much back-loaded, a smart cyclist needs to save plenty of stamina for the finish. I’m feeling good and taking it slow for the last 25 miles. I probably use two hours to cover the last 25% of the event.

An intersection coated with gravel marks the beginning of Far-Look Rd. This is another multi-mile climb, some sections exceed 10%. Knowing that I’m close to the end and have not over-extended myself, I feel confident. After another long grind, I reach Route Z, 150km riders use route Z twice during the day. I take a short break at the 90 mile point. Resuming my ride, I travel down route Z, with a pack of younger riders grabbing my wheel at 45 mph. As the road bottoms out, I start the mile long climb at 5 mph. A few more rolling hills along route Z and I approach the start/finish point. A final climb up Route 191 and I’m at the conclusion.

I reported on Facebook that I was “as slow as a snail” for the Dairyland Dare 150km. This is true! Many riders coming to this event are very fit & fast. It’s impressive to see, and a part of the fun. My challenge was to ride, ride & ride until completed. My preparation allowed me to finish in good form and I look forward to participating in most of the cycling events held in this area next year.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    Your right, most memorable would be a great addition. And the ride you speak of sounds like a winner. I'll have to look it up. I'll be in Albany from the end of June to mid July. Don't think I'll be able to find the time to do the TRR, but I do have a few rides though the Heilderberg's that I'll be doing. Thanks for sharing, and if you have a like to your TRR ride report, please post it.
    Bob,

Here is the link from last year - this was my third year doing this ride:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=bully
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Bob,

Here is the link from last year - this was my third year doing this ride:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=bully
    Cyclin' thanks for that link. A beautiful ride indeed. It brings back lots of memories as I used to travel that area in the 70's and 80's. I gotta put that ride on the bucket list!
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite "est" was the farthest I have gone without a car passing me: 135 miles. Maybe everyone knew it was my birthday ride so they stayed home and left me alone. As I recall, only about a dozen cars passed me on the whole 200 miles.

My fastest distance was another lifetime ago. I did the Davis Double Century in 8 hours. I was in a looooong paceline led by an in-line quad for about fifteen miles. Foolishly, I left them on the first hill. The last I saw of the quad, or any other rider, it blew past me on at the bottom of a hill doing about 70 mph. The last 160 miles of that baby were solo. I sure wish I had known the quad and a cat 1 rider were only five minutes ahead of me all day.
    Last edited by B. Carfree; 05-09-11 at 10:07 PM.

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the worstest?

I had had my bike about ten days. Rode it about four miles.
    Turned around and started home, the first four only took about
    two hours, with about ten stops to rest. Two hours into the return
    trip I was still over two miles from home and hurting bad.
    Walmart was less than half a mile, I made the decision to take this
    damn thing back, get my money back and walk home!

After sitting for about fifteen minutes, I felt a little better and it only
    took about an hour to do the last two miles. A couple hundred feet
    at a time.

This was in May of last year. I bought the bike on the 27th.

Last Friday I did 100.48 in under seven hours.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
    How about the worstest?

I had had my bike about ten days. Rode it about four miles.
    Turned around and started home, the first four only took about
    two hours, with about ten stops to rest. Two hours into the return
    trip I was still over two miles from home and hurting bad.
    Walmart was less than half a mile, I made the decision to take this
    damn thing back, get my money back and walk home!

After sitting for about fifteen minutes, I felt a little better and it only
    took about an hour to do the last two miles. A couple hundred feet
    at a time.

This was in May of last year. I bought the bike on the 27th.

Last Friday I did 100.48 in under seven hours.
    WORSTest or BESTest? That story brought a tear to my eye, BH. Reminds me of 9 yrs when I was on chemo. Decided I needed exercise and did something similar. The BESTest is the last sentence. Congrats. That's hanging in there!
    BT
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

My Bikes
    Rocky Mountain Solo, Specialised Sirrus Triple (quick road tourer), Santana Arriva Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wettest and smelliest - 8 day tour of Denmark, a few years back, London to Copenhagen. Horizontal rain and headwinds all the way, and Denmark's position as a prime exporter of Bacon doesn't happen without an odiferous environmental waft. (It's not as flat as they'd have you believe either)

However, it was pretty good too!

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    WORSTest or BESTest? That story brought a tear to my eye, BH. Reminds me of 9 yrs when I was on chemo. Decided I needed exercise and did something similar. The BESTest is the last sentence. Congrats. That's hanging in there!
    My best day was 126, last September.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much I can boast about now- Lack of riding and speed- Endurance and Want are on a low ebb. but I used to do a ride. Only 100 miles and I have attempted it 11 times now. Failed twice- once due to insufficient training and once due to weather. First did it in 94 and last time was in 2006 (Weather failure) But of all those rides- I think 2003 was my achievment. First serious ride after a bypass in 99 and PCa in 2001. That gave me the highest speed of 53.8mph. OK it was on a tandem but it was offroad.

But Mt. Ventoux in 2007 gave me a shock. I did not think I was going to do that one as I only had a lowly road bike and had only been road riding for a year. Some serious training had gone in on our local hills and in comparison to the training- that ride was easy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will edit as I ponder my "est's" (all are tandem except the single max velocity)

Fastest: 50 mph tandem with 3 singles drafting
    47 mph single

Toughest Climb: Henry Coe - 3000' in 11 miles. Wouldn't be bad on a single, but tough for oldsters on a tandem

Longest (distance): Foxy's Fall Century (109 miles)

Longest (perceived): Rice Valley tandem rally (boring)
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longest - STP Seattle to Portland double century, 6 times I think but I lost count.

Fastest distance - STP first hundred miles in 4.25 hours. That's 23+ MPH over that hundred miles. No stops or anything. They had to peel me off the ground to do the second hundred. This counts as my longest non-stop too. Once I was going in that paceline there was no stopping, even at the 50 mile mark.

Wettest - Marymoor Velodrome to Capitol Hill Seattle in a pouring rain the entire way. It started as a beautiful day, but hey, it's Seattle.

Highest Speed - 43mph on a downhill in Brewster, NY.