Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Was supposed to be a metric

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 06:42 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been training for a race in late June but I have another little commitment the first weekend in June - the Tour de Cure so I also need to prep for a century. Last night I planed a nice metric - not too hilly, just time in the saddle. I wanted to get back in less than 4 hours so I could take Mrs. Fool out for a nice lunch.

Got up, had something to eat and got myself together, a couple of bars & gel in the back pocket, some money, cell phone, map & cue sheet and water bottles.

First down to the bike path on the Mohawk River, the leaves are just coming out and things are getting green. The docks are in but the boats are not. The Waterway has been late to open due to the heavy spring runoff. There was probably a good 2 knot current in the river. The Hudson is flowing heavy as the snow melt and rains are still coming down from the Adirondacks.

The temp was about 60 and the ride called for about 25 miles into the wind, but not a strong wind. I rode about 20 miles when I made a wrong turn. I knew it fairly soon but decided I could keep going and get back on track and only add about 6 miles which I could easily shave off later where I knew the roads better. About 5 miles later I was feeling a little thirsty and I reached down to take a drink no water bottles, they were left in the garage.

At that point I had to head to the nearest store to buy some water. So the route changed again. I bought two bottles of water and had a power bar - mile 29.

At this point I decide to get back on course again but did not know where I would be mileage wise when I did. So I picked the point to get back to the course and when I got there I was 10 miles short of where I should have been at that point. I figured out how I could get that back and headed on. My next course alteration was to occur in a little over 6 miles.

To add a few miles I decided to take a bike path I had not ridden since last spring. This path was repaved about 4 years ago but look what the North country winters will do.

Asphalt turtles - rocks and frost heaves popping up. This is not unique.

Then the clouds rolled in and a light rain, the temps dropped in the low 50s - it was supposed to be a sunny day in the upper 60s

I was now only 6 miles short when I converged on my original course, I had added 4 back in that last course change. At this point because of the weather and the bad luck I decided I should just finish up at 57 miles and go have lunch with the wife.

The last leg of the course brought me back to the Mohawk, you can see the dark clouds. You can also see in the background the local hills I climb in the distance. Lots of good climbs over there.

It was a good ride but I wish the weather had held.
Old 05-08-11, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like a really nice ride. I've got to remember to bring a camera with me one of these days.

Your comment about a wrong turn reminds of a guy I know who's a triathelete and an amazing xc-skier. He told me about the time last summer when he was on a 100mi training ride starting from his cottage up north. He made a wrong turn and yes, it was the one day when he left his GPS back at the cottage. That 100mile ride turned into a 140+ mile ride. By the 110mi mark he was out of money, out of food and he wound up in a town that was at the bottom of a valley with the biggest steepest climb in the area and he had to turn around and do that climb to get back. He said he'd never go out again without a map or at least a compass.

I'd say that the bike path is pretty smooth... I've been on some around here that are like riding on cobblestones. A lot of the roads and streets here really feel like cobblestones because of all the frost heaving and pavement breakup that's occurred over the winter. That was the main reason why I bought a Roubaix instead of a Tarmac,

A few weeks ago I was riding around the old neighbourhood when I realized that the streets there are actually smooth and
1) that I was literally cruising down the street at 24mph and
2) it was flat.

It felt... er.. kind of strange.
Old 05-08-11, 07:58 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well cyclinfool, you sure did much better than I did.

I had planned on doing my criss-cross, double-loop, two-town ride for a total of 45-55 miles depending on which turns I make. When the alarm went off I rolled over and turned it off...then promptly went back to sleep!!

Now in my defense I had to come in to work tonight for the first of two 12.5 hr. night shifts after working day shifts on Friday and Saturday. In addition I didn't sleep well last night. I seem to be in the throws of another tennis elbow episode and my right arm kept me awake a lot last night.

On the other hand, I have a century planned for June 25th with R.A.R.E. and I'm not in very good condition at all. Oh dear, what to do, what to do?

This is where I remind myself that my plans for this year were more wrench related than ride related. Call it an excuse or call it a dose of reality but it helps me feel better.

So like I said, you're way ahead of me. You're out there getting fit for some major rides...good for you! Keep the great reports and pictures coming.
Old 05-08-11, 09:47 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
When the alarm went off I rolled over and turned it off...then promptly went back to sleep!!
Sounds like my Saturday this weekend. From the time the calendar was published in early March, I'd planned on a 50-miler with the club to Canandaigua and back. The ride starts 10 miles from home, so it's a 70-miler for me.

I had breakfast and in between sopping up the last of the egg yolks with the last of the toast, and rinsing the dishes, I think men in black helicopters chloroformed my apartment. I woke up at 3:30pm for a 1pm ride start, that I needed to leave for at noon. And the dishes weren't rinsed.

I ate "lunch" and promptly went down for another three-hour nap.

Last edited by tsl; 05-08-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 03:41 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cranky & TSL,

You guys know of the weather I speak. Spring is in the trees & flowers but it sure isn't in the temps yet. At least the consistent temps.
I got a lot in yesterday - a nice ride, a nice mothers day late lunch and some work around the house. I am traveling for a few days so I do a nice easy ride this AM. Its mid 40s again...
Old 05-09-11, 05:42 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Fool, thanks for the ride report. It looks beautiful.

BTW, I'm looking for some ride partners for end of June - early July in the greater Albany Area. Does anyone know of any clubs? I'll probably ride on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday AMs, about 40 mi or so each. Mondays and Thursdays are for golfing. Sunday is go to meetin'. Wednesday is open.

Here are some of the rides I might do:

Albany - East Berne Loop

Albany -Alcove Loop

Albany Altamont Loop

Saratoga Battle Field and More

East Hudson Tour

I'll load them into the Garmin and do a solo if I can't find some riding partners.
Old 05-09-11, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I know that weather very well, after working outside most of my life, in the midwest. One time I wrote to the weather people and told them if I was wrong as much as you guys, I'd be fired lol. I wonder if a GPS would have helped you out a little. Anyway it looks like you had a nice ride.
Old 05-09-11, 05:00 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobthib
Fool, thanks for the ride report. It looks beautiful.

BTW, I'm looking for some ride partners for end of June - early July in the greater Albany Area. Does anyone know of any clubs? I'll probably ride on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday AMs, about 40 mi or so each. Mondays and Thursdays are for golfing. Sunday is go to meetin'. Wednesday is open.

Here are some of the rides I might do:

Albany - East Berne Loop

Albany -Alcove Loop

Albany Altamont Loop

Saratoga Battle Field and More

East Hudson Tour

I'll load them into the Garmin and do a solo if I can't find some riding partners.
Bob- here is the link to the club I belong to: https://webmhcc.org/rn/index.php