Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-11, 12:32 PM   #1
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Learned something here that worked last weekend

Last weekend I went on one of my usual tough climbing rides. Near the top of one climb I heard barking dogs. There were three dogs behind a wrought-iron fence. On previous rides I discovered that making puppy sounds at barking dogs usually calms them and stops the barking. Not this time

I was recording video like I always do on climbs, so I used a command I learned from reading one of the dog threads in this subforum. I believe it worked, or I left the dogs territory.

For those who don't know, yes I am a female, so remember that before thinking "that guy yells like a girl":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHqmrRUcJ0
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 01:47 PM   #2
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Go home does seem to work. And don't worry, I scream like a girl when a dog chases me too.

Glad you made it away ok. Dogs at the end of a climb are scary, but sometimes a dog on the downhill is even scarier.

Mark
FL_MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 09:48 PM   #3
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looks like some better enforced leash laws might help where you ride! We typically ride in two different counties, one is great, the other is PIA sa far as dogs go.
R&J
gracehowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 10:14 PM   #4
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Yell: Get off the couch!!!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 12:34 AM   #5
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_MarkD View Post
Go home does seem to work. And don't worry, I scream like a girl when a dog chases me too.

Glad you made it away ok. Dogs at the end of a climb are scary, but sometimes a dog on the downhill is even scarier.

Mark
LOL! Thanks Yeah, a dog appearing suddenly on a descent could be deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracehowler View Post
Looks like some better enforced leash laws might help where you ride!
R&J
The dogs were all in a fenced area, but I think the owner neglected to secure the gate and one escaped. I heard what sounded like a gate slamming shut seconds before the dog caught up to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
Yell: Get off the couch!!!
Old 05-13-11, 09:43 AM   #6
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
That is one narrow road you were on. Looked more like a bike path. Glad the story turned out good, nonetheless.
OldsCOOL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:52 AM   #7
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
That is one narrow road you were on. Looked more like a bike path. Glad the story turned out good, nonetheless.
It's a road. A lot of the less-traveled roads up there are narrow like that. Reminds me of the roads I've seen in UK hill climb videos.
Old 05-13-11, 01:14 PM   #8
KillerBeagle
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
There is a property I pass fairly often where there is a pack of at least 6 dogs, including 2 German shepherds. They are behind a wrought iron fence also, and they go ballistic when I pass, ending up in such a frenzy that they start attacking each other. I think I heard a similar attack-each-other sound partway through your video too.

I tried 10wheel's method of blasting an air horn at them, and it stopped them in their tracks - for about a second. Then they renewed their frenzy in an even more excited state. The GSDs look just like the ones on the guard dogs signs with the lips back snarling. I dread the day that the gate is open when I go by.

Off topic, but can I ask what you are using to make your videos? They come out quite nicely. I could also use one as proof in case I want to get the county to enforce their "dangerous dog pack" ordinance - 3 or more loose dogs that threaten people or livestock.
KillerBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 01:56 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
It's a road. A lot of the less-traveled roads up there are narrow like that. Reminds me of the roads I've seen in UK hill climb videos.
Funny enough-I was thinking the same. But not just on the climbs.

Never had any joy with dogs- but never any severe problems either. Either the dogs are better trained and stay on their property- Or the dogs are not trained as guard dogs over here.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:16 PM   #10
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle View Post
There is a property I pass fairly often where there is a pack of at least 6 dogs, including 2 German shepherds. They are behind a wrought iron fence also, and they go ballistic when I pass, ending up in such a frenzy that they start attacking each other. I think I heard a similar attack-each-other sound partway through your video too.

Off topic, but can I ask what you are using to make your videos? They come out quite nicely. I could also use one as proof in case I want to get the county to enforce their "dangerous dog pack" ordinance - 3 or more loose dogs that threaten people or livestock.
You sure did Right after I made the puppy noise the dogs went crazy. Seconds later the big white dog escaped.

I use a Kodak Playsport waterproof camcorder. It's similar in size and shape to a Flip Video camcorder, but it's thinner than the Flip. It records in 720p and 1080p HD and 848x480 WVGA. I use the WVGA settting to save space since the picture and audio quality are good enough for me. It was very affordable at $117 before tax at Best Buy. It is mounted on a Pedco UltraClamp handlebar mount. I like this mount because it is very adjustable and can be swapped between bikes in seconds.

I edit the videos in Windows Movie Maker 2011, which will edit the .mov files the camera makes. It will also edit the .mp4 files other cameras such as the Flip use.

WMM 2011 won't edit .mov files in Vista without an extra codec. On my Windows 7 machine it works perfectly.
Old 05-13-11, 02:24 PM   #11
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Glad you made it ok. Looked like you were weaving a lot there.
I guess I'm lucky. I pass two places with dogs. Fortunately the dogs are in a fenced yard. I guess I jinxed myself by saying this. On my next ride someone will probably leave the gate open.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:51 PM   #12
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Glad you made it ok. Looked like you were weaving a lot there.
I guess I'm lucky. I pass two places with dogs. Fortunately the dogs are in a fenced yard. I guess I jinxed myself by saying this. On my next ride someone will probably leave the gate open.
Yup, I was trying to keep going straight on the bike while keeping an eye on the dog, which was on my left side. I was ready to jump off and use my bike as a shield, but luckily the dog didn't attack. If it had I would have had a piece of that multi-million dollar house with a view I'm not sue-happy in the least, but come on! That homeowner should be more careful about securing his property. I know that gate looked closed when I rode past, but it probably wasn't latched.
Old 05-16-11, 12:36 PM   #13
bigbadwullf

Bikes:
Don't think what you do on a Lab will work on other dogs. Labs will roll over for anyone or anything
bigbadwullf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 08:10 PM   #14
freighttraininguphill

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
Don't think what you do on a Lab will work on other dogs. Labs will roll over for anyone or anything
You'd be surprised. I've petted mixed-breeds mutts that have flopped over on their sides all cute like the yellow lab did. I have heard that yellow labs are very affectionate though.
Old 05-17-11, 08:29 PM   #15
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Lots of people say that dogs can sense the people who are afraid of dogs. I'm thinking that dogs can also sense people who have bitten dogs.

Dogs seldom chase me.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote