Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Loves to suffer freighttraininguphill's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster 42x16 SS, Peugeot mixte 42x16 FG, Specialized Dolce Triple, Trek Wahoo 29er, Bike Friday Pocket Companion folder, TerraTrike Rover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learned something here that worked last weekend

Last weekend I went on one of my usual tough climbing rides. Near the top of one climb I heard barking dogs. There were three dogs behind a wrought-iron fence. On previous rides I discovered that making puppy sounds at barking dogs usually calms them and stops the barking. Not this time

I was recording video like I always do on climbs, so I used a command I learned from reading one of the dog threads in this subforum. I believe it worked, or I left the dogs territory.

For those who don't know, yes I am a female, so remember that before thinking "that guy yells like a girl":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHqmrRUcJ0

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go home does seem to work. And don't worry, I scream like a girl when a dog chases me too.

Glad you made it away ok. Dogs at the end of a climb are scary, but sometimes a dog on the downhill is even scarier.

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like some better enforced leash laws might help where you ride! We typically ride in two different counties, one is great, the other is PIA sa far as dogs go.
    R&J

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yell: Get off the couch!!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Langster 42x16 SS, Peugeot mixte 42x16 FG, Specialized Dolce Triple, Trek Wahoo 29er, Bike Friday Pocket Companion folder, TerraTrike Rover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL_MarkD View Post
    Go home does seem to work. And don't worry, I scream like a girl when a dog chases me too.

Glad you made it away ok. Dogs at the end of a climb are scary, but sometimes a dog on the downhill is even scarier.

Mark
    LOL! Thanks Yeah, a dog appearing suddenly on a descent could be deadly

Quote Originally Posted by gracehowler View Post
    Looks like some better enforced leash laws might help where you ride!
    R&J
    The dogs were all in a fenced area, but I think the owner neglected to secure the gate and one escaped. I heard what sounded like a gate slamming shut seconds before the dog caught up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Yell: Get off the couch!!!

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one narrow road you were on. Looked more like a bike path. Glad the story turned out good, nonetheless.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    That is one narrow road you were on. Looked more like a bike path. Glad the story turned out good, nonetheless.
    It's a road. A lot of the less-traveled roads up there are narrow like that. Reminds me of the roads I've seen in UK hill climb videos.

My Bikes
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a property I pass fairly often where there is a pack of at least 6 dogs, including 2 German shepherds. They are behind a wrought iron fence also, and they go ballistic when I pass, ending up in such a frenzy that they start attacking each other. I think I heard a similar attack-each-other sound partway through your video too.

I tried 10wheel's method of blasting an air horn at them, and it stopped them in their tracks - for about a second. Then they renewed their frenzy in an even more excited state. The GSDs look just like the ones on the guard dogs signs with the lips back snarling. I dread the day that the gate is open when I go by.

Off topic, but can I ask what you are using to make your videos? They come out quite nicely. I could also use one as proof in case I want to get the county to enforce their "dangerous dog pack" ordinance - 3 or more loose dogs that threaten people or livestock.
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
    It's a road. A lot of the less-traveled roads up there are narrow like that. Reminds me of the roads I've seen in UK hill climb videos.
    Funny enough-I was thinking the same. But not just on the climbs.

Never had any joy with dogs- but never any severe problems either. Either the dogs are better trained and stay on their property- Or the dogs are not trained as guard dogs over here.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerBeagle View Post
    There is a property I pass fairly often where there is a pack of at least 6 dogs, including 2 German shepherds. They are behind a wrought iron fence also, and they go ballistic when I pass, ending up in such a frenzy that they start attacking each other. I think I heard a similar attack-each-other sound partway through your video too.

Off topic, but can I ask what you are using to make your videos? They come out quite nicely. I could also use one as proof in case I want to get the county to enforce their "dangerous dog pack" ordinance - 3 or more loose dogs that threaten people or livestock.
    You sure did Right after I made the puppy noise the dogs went crazy. Seconds later the big white dog escaped.

I use a Kodak Playsport waterproof camcorder. It's similar in size and shape to a Flip Video camcorder, but it's thinner than the Flip. It records in 720p and 1080p HD and 848x480 WVGA. I use the WVGA settting to save space since the picture and audio quality are good enough for me. It was very affordable at $117 before tax at Best Buy. It is mounted on a Pedco UltraClamp handlebar mount. I like this mount because it is very adjustable and can be swapped between bikes in seconds.

I edit the videos in Windows Movie Maker 2011, which will edit the .mov files the camera makes. It will also edit the .mp4 files other cameras such as the Flip use.

WMM 2011 won't edit .mov files in Vista without an extra codec. On my Windows 7 machine it works perfectly.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made it ok. Looked like you were weaving a lot there.
    I guess I'm lucky. I pass two places with dogs. Fortunately the dogs are in a fenced yard. I guess I jinxed myself by saying this. On my next ride someone will probably leave the gate open.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Glad you made it ok. Looked like you were weaving a lot there.
    I guess I'm lucky. I pass two places with dogs. Fortunately the dogs are in a fenced yard. I guess I jinxed myself by saying this. On my next ride someone will probably leave the gate open.
    Yup, I was trying to keep going straight on the bike while keeping an eye on the dog, which was on my left side. I was ready to jump off and use my bike as a shield, but luckily the dog didn't attack. If it had I would have had a piece of that multi-million dollar house with a view I'm not sue-happy in the least, but come on! That homeowner should be more careful about securing his property. I know that gate looked closed when I rode past, but it probably wasn't latched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think what you do on a Lab will work on other dogs. Labs will roll over for anyone or anything

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Don't think what you do on a Lab will work on other dogs. Labs will roll over for anyone or anything
    You'd be surprised. I've petted mixed-breeds mutts that have flopped over on their sides all cute like the yellow lab did. I have heard that yellow labs are very affectionate though.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of people say that dogs can sense the people who are afraid of dogs. I'm thinking that dogs can also sense people who have bitten dogs.

Dogs seldom chase me.