User Tag List

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone, 2011 Salsa Casserole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man these are slippery shoes

Since I got back into riding 5 years ago I've been using spd type shoes that I can walk in comfortably. As I improve and go farther I've had issues with the outside of my right foot and I've attributed that to the cheapish shoes I wear. This past winter I bought some real cycling shoes. I'm cheap and don't feel worthy so these were in the $130 range (no sidi's yet). I like them and the stiffness of the soles is noticeable, they are comfortable and fit well. I've done some 50 mile rides in them and no foot issues. My only complaint is that they are so darn slippery when not clipped in. I'm talking about while on the bike, not walking. I'm used to unclipping early when needed and riding unclipped, or starting up hill unclipped in one foot, but with these the shoe just slides off the pedal as the plastic is just too slick. I worry about climbing and stopping for some reason like I'm going too slow, and having to go back down the hill to begin again

Are there tricks/remedies? I've thought about putting some double stick tape on the shoes and maybe sticking some sandpaper to it. Or do I just toughen up and never unclip untill I fall over. Kind of like those fainting goats.

Thanks

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first went to road shoes, trying to pedal unclipped was like trying to walking on ice. But after getting a feel for where the shoe needs to sit on the pedal, I've gotten pretty good at pedaling while unclipped. It will become easier with practice.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Champlaincycler View Post
    I'm used to unclipping early when needed and riding unclipped, or starting up hill unclipped in one foot, but with these the shoe just slides off the pedal as the plastic is just too slick. I worry about climbing and stopping for some reason like I'm going too slow, and having to go back down the hill to begin again
    ??? That's a new one to me. I don't unclip unless I'm actually stopping, whether its at a stop sign or an emergency.
    If I feel I'm going too slow I either pedal faster or drop to a lower gear and keep going.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone, 2011 Salsa Casserole
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for instance... I live at the top of a decent hill. I often stop half way up as a frequent riding partner gets off there. Starting again is hard for me. One foot clipped in, a good push and then the other foot needs to get in asap or what little mo I have going dries up. Sometimes it takes a few tries. The old spd shoes would work as I could pedal without being clipped in, not so for the new ones.
    I was kind of kidding about going too slowly, although I have a friend who is an awesome cyclist and has told me a story about having to go back down to start again after some sort of complication. He was doing the Lincoln Gap in Vermont near the top where the grade is extreme. I'm just trying to get used to these things as I'm only an ok cyclist not used to the urgency of getting in so quickly when I need to. I'm still thinking tape on the arch/heels of my feet.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also noticed the slipperiness when I switched to higher end road shoes. I've learned to pedal unclipped with my foot completely flat so it stays on the pedal. If my foot is tilted, it slips.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't intentionally pedal with my cleats disengaged, but if my second foot's cleat fails to engage on the first attempt I am usually able to keep it on the pedal for a light push unit I can try again on the next rotation. The best trick is to get good at quickly engaging.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that may help is to practice doing isolated leg drills while riding and clipping back in. What you describe is what I go through when I do single leg drills while riding on the rollers in the winter. I have to keep putting constant power to the pedals or crash, if I'm not using two feet then the one clipped in needs to do all the work until I do get the other foot clipped to the pedal.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For in-town rides with lots of stops or walking, my mountain bike SPD shoes work great on my road bike. The shoes are heavier than regular road shoes but have a compliant rubber sole. It's a lot easier getting started on an uphill, I just put the instep on the pedal for a spin or 2 before cleating in. They are Keen sandals, very comfortable. The pedals are double-sided MTB pedals, also easy to clip into. One of my knees is very weak. I am not able to do one-legged pedaling on it uphill; and clipping out torques that knee so it stays clipped at all times during my ride. This was a good solution to that situation since I am riding for fitness, fun, and commuting not racing.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get use to them the more you use them. That's all I use anymore, because of foot pain with MTB shoes.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a while you won't even think about clipping in.....to your "clipless" pedals. And some people think I'm crazy for saying it's a misnomer

And, yes I know what clips are....

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)