User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death of Kids' Friends and Friends' Kids

Last night in our area, a guy in a Hummer hit two cyclists (broken bones) and rear ended a truck before he hit and killed a 20 year old, narrowly missing another cyclist, and drove off.

My sons went through school from 1st grade on with the young man who was killed and were good friends with him and his younger brother. We became friends with his parents and have done a lot of things with them over the years. This young man was a truly awesome person and will be missed by many.

Just last month, a 19 year old at our church died of a seizure. He and my sons were friends and we are very close to his parents. He, too, was a great young man. Over 600 turned out for his memorial service.

Two young men who are close in age to our sons are gone. Neither family knew what was coming and are now trying to figure out what the future looks like without their sons.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ktl...,3119754.story

I just read two posts about this incident in the Advocacy & Safety subforum. The link, above, is to a news story about the incident. The police booked the driver of the Hummer on a slew of charges, among them drunk driving.

It sounds like the young man who was killed, Nick, was an outstanding young man. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry for your loss. I really hope they have enough charges against the driver to put him away for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a sad and hard way to gain maturity in life. Needless death from a careless driver whose only thought was to escape his consequences. The event teaches, but the pain is horrible. I know you are hurting for your kids, prayers your way.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for your grief and his family's loss. These kind of stories hit all of us in the gut.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have obviously just lost yet another "good friend I never met." I hope this country finds the political will to stiffen the penalties for drunk driving. Under pressure from MADD we have made good progress, but we have so far to go.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it IS in California. And the offending driver IS apparently a minority. My guess is, he will get 10 to 15 years with all but 1 suspended. And the one year will be served in 6 months with time off for good behavior. No community service or restitution. California's like that.
    Who is John Galt?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I felt sick while watching the story on the news last night -- then, today, reading he was on his way to take a college final exam. My heart goes out to all of you.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the other threads.... that's pretty terrible. It can shake up not only the family but the whole community.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    Well, it IS in California. And the offending driver IS apparently a minority. My guess is, he will get 10 to 15 years with all but 1 suspended. And the one year will be served in 6 months with time off for good behavior. No community service or restitution. California's like that.
    No, NorCal is like that. In SoCal they throw the book at drunk killers. In fact, when someone gets their first DUI, the DA makes them sign a document wherein the drunk acknowledges that he is aware of the fact that drinking and driving can be deadly and that he will be charged with second degree murder if he drives drunk and someone dies as a result. I wish the rest of the state and country would catch up with those prosecutors. By the way, I am a native of NorCal who generally won't acknowledge that anything could be better in the south end, but I've got to give them credit where it is due.

Back on topic. I'm really sorry for the loss to the OP and to the friends and families of the young men who died. My twenty-year-old son has been dealing with a steady stream of deaths among his friends these past five years. Fortunately, several of them have been older gentlemen he met through playing chess who had lived full and wonderful lives. However, the last two were his age and died in preventable accidents (falling asleep while driving and falling out a window). It always hurts to lose a friend.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senseless. So sorry for your, the family's, and the community's loss.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAC, My condolences to the young men's family and friends. I've been in your position more than once, there's no words I can muster to define the difficulty of the sudden lose of a young man or woman through no fault of their own.

Brad