Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I die, I want my bike(s) to go to ............

I'm posting this here in the 50+ Department because I assume most of you here are more mature about life.

I'm currently living with a girlfriend, and we sometimes talk about our kids, family members, our stuff, and about our eventual deaths. Yeah, I know. Most people try to avoid that topic. But since last fall, we've buried my mother, her mother, her older sister, and now, her younger sister has cancer. So, death is all around us these days.

So I was suggesting to Cora that if I should croak before her, I would like her to have my bike. If not her, I would want her to put my bike up for sale on CraigsList for a stout asking price.

My logic is, I love my bike. I've had her for over 16 years now and have kept her modernized and very well maintained. I think that if I just left her to one of my kids, they wouldn't appreciate the true value and would just leave her outside or wherever and let her go to waste. Someone who pays good money for a titanium hardtail mountain bike probably would be more likely to take good care of her and appreciate her much more.

I'm posting this thread here, thinking that maybe some of you out there have similar feelings for a special bike or some other special possession. And I'm wondering what you're thinking about who to leave them to...
    Who is John Galt?

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I do not have my bikes in my will, they are just part of the whole that will be taken care of, but I am not super attached to them. They are what I use to get exercise and enjoy life. Yes they are special and I hope they will find a good 'home' but I am not worried ... or will not be at that point : ) as to where they go.
    peace

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...hell, with me.

Sorry, someone immature had to say it.

Seriously, though, I haven't formed any kind of emotional attachment to my bikes. In fact, about the only things I've mentioned specifically in my will are the stone in my wife's engagement ring (it's an heirloom from my side of the family), and my guitar and banjo. I just don't feel that kind of bond with anything else I own.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    die?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True value of a passed father has no price, leave it to one of your sons.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, you'll be dead, so really it doesn't matter. Don't do anything that causes hard feelings for those you leave behind.

I love my bike too, but in the end, it's just a bike. What we do on them matters (at least to us), but a bike (however beautiful) is just stuff. Let it go.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently gave my well loved 1987 Jamis Explorer to my nephew. He was 14? 12? when I bought it new and we used to ride together, he always lusted after that bike. I even let him ride it a couple of times. He lives in Hawaii now so I'll never see it in person - just enjoy the pictures he sends me of him enjoying it. AND he's taking care of it just the way I told him to. He was SO SURPRISED and happy when I told him - it was worth more than anything. How many people would love that bike that much? Me and him.
    Foxye, the Floribbean

2006 Trek Rail
    2009 Trek Lime
    2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7
    1980s Nishiki Road Bike
    1993 Cannondale V1000
    1994 Cannondale Killer V900
    1995 Cannondale M1000
    1996 Cannondale Killer V900
    1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3
    1997 Cannondale F1000
    1997 Cannondale Super V 2000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit surprised to learn several years ago that a good bud of mine and my son had a discussion on how they were going to divy up my bike collection after my demise. I guess it does not really matter that they are the wrong size frames for them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time I kick the bucket- My bikes will be going to a museum somewhere.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to be cremated, my ashes put into the tubes of my bike, a small hole drilled, and the bike ridden by friends on my favorite route, my ashes slowly being released. After that, I don't really care what happens to the bike.
    It's a good day to ride.
    --------------------------
    Cannondale Saeco CAD3
    Specialized Sirrus Elite
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Surly Cross Check

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I die what I want ceases to exist. As Curtis said, It's just stuff; let it go.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I asked Gina to cut my frame in half then mount the front end on the wall as if it were riding from out of the wall.

Little roughdraft (couldn't find and example)

Attachment 201817
    Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 05-13-11 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nephew will get at least one if not all my bikes. He's the closest thing to an offspring I have. Also the only relative remotely tall enough to fit my bikes. And he's only 15 now, so he'll have a long time to enjoy them after I have a long time to enjoy them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, with no good answers.

No one I know would truly appreciate my bike as much as I do. My utility bike will probably find its own place, but for other bikes... It's a Nishiki/American Eagle 10 speed, to me, it's a token from a friend, many thousands of miles of memories and a special part of history. How can they know? Hopefully people's accquisitiveness will show up and people will show interest in the bike(s) they like the most.

I think I will leave those questions to the executor. They have a better perspective on the matter. Though I have noted that the large diameter frame to the Bacchetta might serve well as an urn.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 05-13-11 at 04:22 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    presumably we will all be worn out by then so my steel bike will end up in the smelter and my CF bike in the land fill.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donate it to hospice
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I was a bit surprised to learn several years ago that a good bud of mine and my son had a discussion on how they were going to divy up my bike collection after my demise. I guess it does not really matter that they are the wrong size frames for them.
    They didn't have a further discussion focused on speeding up your demise, I would hope not?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not worried about the bike but very concerned about the guns, especially about the shotgun that was my Dad's prize and the Winchester .22 that he was given when he was 12 (depression era) and that I learned on. I've got lots of others but only a couple with emotional attachments.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about the guns. It won't be long until the government confiscates all of them and melts them down. Our bikes might be safe a little longer.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TomD,
    Great pix! Thanks for the link.
    ...how many pictures WAS that! I couldn't believe how many you have linked! Very kewl.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    Not worried about the bike but very concerned about the guns, especially about the shotgun that was my Dad's prize and the Winchester .22 that he was given when he was 12 (depression era) and that I learned on. I've got lots of others but only a couple with emotional attachments.

As I recall, the Colt Model 1911 semi-automatic ****** was designed by Browning. He was quite a firearms designer and machinist. That particular model has been produced by different manufacturers for a hundred years now (like the S&W in your photo). Can you imagine a design of any mechanical thing so good that a hundred years later, it's still being produced and so sought after? Do you suppose the Glocks will still be as sought after a hundred years from now? Can you imagine one particular bicycle design that would be popular for over a hundred years?
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I'm dead my bikes would ideally go to my widow's fortunate second husband or my daughter's equally fortunate first.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My older son is too tall for my bikes and the younger one will be in a few years. If they can't use them, I suppose my wife will sell them or give them away. I hope they end up with someone who will ride them and take care of them, but it really doesn't matter.
    I did think more about this before Ribby* met her demise. I really like all my bikes but she was the love of my life. I kind of hope someone in the family will keep her around as an art piece.

* My 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 that I rode for 18-1/2 years before we were hit by a car.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    ...who to leave them to...
    Begin by determinining what's important in the time you have left vis-a-vis the family...all else is just 'stuff'. [Note To Self.]
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)