Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-11, 08:22 AM   #1
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I die, I want my bike(s) to go to ............

I'm posting this here in the 50+ Department because I assume most of you here are more mature about life.

I'm currently living with a girlfriend, and we sometimes talk about our kids, family members, our stuff, and about our eventual deaths. Yeah, I know. Most people try to avoid that topic. But since last fall, we've buried my mother, her mother, her older sister, and now, her younger sister has cancer. So, death is all around us these days.

So I was suggesting to Cora that if I should croak before her, I would like her to have my bike. If not her, I would want her to put my bike up for sale on CraigsList for a stout asking price.

My logic is, I love my bike. I've had her for over 16 years now and have kept her modernized and very well maintained. I think that if I just left her to one of my kids, they wouldn't appreciate the true value and would just leave her outside or wherever and let her go to waste. Someone who pays good money for a titanium hardtail mountain bike probably would be more likely to take good care of her and appreciate her much more.

I'm posting this thread here, thinking that maybe some of you out there have similar feelings for a special bike or some other special possession. And I'm wondering what you're thinking about who to leave them to...
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 10:33 AM   #2
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
At this point I do not have my bikes in my will, they are just part of the whole that will be taken care of, but I am not super attached to them. They are what I use to get exercise and enjoy life. Yes they are special and I hope they will find a good 'home' but I am not worried ... or will not be at that point : ) as to where they go.
peace
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 10:58 AM   #3
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
...hell, with me.

Sorry, someone immature had to say it.

Seriously, though, I haven't formed any kind of emotional attachment to my bikes. In fact, about the only things I've mentioned specifically in my will are the stone in my wife's engagement ring (it's an heirloom from my side of the family), and my guitar and banjo. I just don't feel that kind of bond with anything else I own.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 11:27 AM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
die?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 11:35 AM   #5
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
True value of a passed father has no price, leave it to one of your sons.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 12:55 PM   #6
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey, you'll be dead, so really it doesn't matter. Don't do anything that causes hard feelings for those you leave behind.

I love my bike too, but in the end, it's just a bike. What we do on them matters (at least to us), but a bike (however beautiful) is just stuff. Let it go.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 01:13 PM   #7
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca
I recently gave my well loved 1987 Jamis Explorer to my nephew. He was 14? 12? when I bought it new and we used to ride together, he always lusted after that bike. I even let him ride it a couple of times. He lives in Hawaii now so I'll never see it in person - just enjoy the pictures he sends me of him enjoying it. AND he's taking care of it just the way I told him to. He was SO SURPRISED and happy when I told him - it was worth more than anything. How many people would love that bike that much? Me and him.
wiredfoxterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 01:45 PM   #8
oilman_15106

Bikes:
I was a bit surprised to learn several years ago that a good bud of mine and my son had a discussion on how they were going to divy up my bike collection after my demise. I guess it does not really matter that they are the wrong size frames for them.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 01:48 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
By the time I kick the bucket- My bikes will be going to a museum somewhere.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:26 PM   #10
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
I want to be cremated, my ashes put into the tubes of my bike, a small hole drilled, and the bike ridden by friends on my favorite route, my ashes slowly being released. After that, I don't really care what happens to the bike.
ctyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 02:27 PM   #11
NOS88

Bikes:
When I die what I want ceases to exist. As Curtis said, It's just stuff; let it go.
Old 05-13-11, 02:32 PM   #12
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
I asked Gina to cut my frame in half then mount the front end on the wall as if it were riding from out of the wall.

Little roughdraft (couldn't find and example)

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 05-13-11 at 03:36 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 03:39 PM   #13
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes:
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My nephew will get at least one if not all my bikes. He's the closest thing to an offspring I have. Also the only relative remotely tall enough to fit my bikes. And he's only 15 now, so he'll have a long time to enjoy them after I have a long time to enjoy them!
Bob Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 03:39 PM   #14
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good question, with no good answers.

No one I know would truly appreciate my bike as much as I do. My utility bike will probably find its own place, but for other bikes... It's a Nishiki/American Eagle 10 speed, to me, it's a token from a friend, many thousands of miles of memories and a special part of history. How can they know? Hopefully people's accquisitiveness will show up and people will show interest in the bike(s) they like the most.

I think I will leave those questions to the executor. They have a better perspective on the matter. Though I have noted that the large diameter frame to the Bacchetta might serve well as an urn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 05-13-11 at 04:22 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 06:11 PM   #15
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
presumably we will all be worn out by then so my steel bike will end up in the smelter and my CF bike in the land fill.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 06:19 PM   #16
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Donate it to hospice
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 07:58 PM   #17
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
I was a bit surprised to learn several years ago that a good bud of mine and my son had a discussion on how they were going to divy up my bike collection after my demise. I guess it does not really matter that they are the wrong size frames for them.
They didn't have a further discussion focused on speeding up your demise, I would hope not?
Old 05-13-11, 08:51 PM   #18
TomD77

Bikes:
Not worried about the bike but very concerned about the guns, especially about the shotgun that was my Dad's prize and the Winchester .22 that he was given when he was 12 (depression era) and that I learned on. I've got lots of others but only a couple with emotional attachments.

TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 09:18 PM   #19
xizangstan

Don't worry about the guns. It won't be long until the government confiscates all of them and melts them down. Our bikes might be safe a little longer.
Old 05-13-11, 10:14 PM   #20
kennyc

Bikes:
TomD,
Great pix! Thanks for the link.
...how many pictures WAS that! I couldn't believe how many you have linked! Very kewl.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 11:51 PM   #21
xizangstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
Not worried about the bike but very concerned about the guns, especially about the shotgun that was my Dad's prize and the Winchester .22 that he was given when he was 12 (depression era) and that I learned on. I've got lots of others but only a couple with emotional attachments.

As I recall, the Colt Model 1911 semi-automatic pistol was designed by Browning. He was quite a firearms designer and machinist. That particular model has been produced by different manufacturers for a hundred years now (like the S&W in your photo). Can you imagine a design of any mechanical thing so good that a hundred years later, it's still being produced and so sought after? Do you suppose the Glocks will still be as sought after a hundred years from now? Can you imagine one particular bicycle design that would be popular for over a hundred years?
Old 05-14-11, 10:07 AM   #22
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
After I'm dead my bikes would ideally go to my widow's fortunate second husband or my daughter's equally fortunate first.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 10:51 AM   #23
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
My older son is too tall for my bikes and the younger one will be in a few years. If they can't use them, I suppose my wife will sell them or give them away. I hope they end up with someone who will ride them and take care of them, but it really doesn't matter.
I did think more about this before Ribby* met her demise. I really like all my bikes but she was the love of my life. I kind of hope someone in the family will keep her around as an art piece.

* My 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 that I rode for 18-1/2 years before we were hit by a car.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-11, 12:03 PM   #24
Billy Bones

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
...who to leave them to...
Begin by determinining what's important in the time you have left vis-a-vis the family...all else is just 'stuff'. [Note To Self.]
Billy Bones is offline   Reply With Quote