Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long Winter Layoff.

This winter has not been good for riding. Weather and the knee playing up have meant that I have only been averaging 40 miles a week and that 40 has been to just keep the legs turning. No effort involved and I have not even bothered to put the Garmin on Since January.

But I have a new Neighbour. A Kiwi and he is aged about 30 and is fit. He has shown an interest in cycling so I have loaned him the TCR and set it up for him. We have had a couple of rides but today we went for a sensible ride. 30 miler that was going to take in one of our gentler slopes. First 15 were flat and I wanted to see the pace I could keep up just following and was surprised to find that the leg turning has kept some of my fitness. So out across the marshes with just a few gentle rises. Got to the cafe for a Toasted Teacake and coffee having done an average of 16mph. Not bad considering the tight turns and the number of rises we had. In fact I was more surprised that I was keeping the HR at around 75 to 80% of my max for that distance.

Then it was time for the slope. Only 8% for a mile or so but the approach is a mile at 5%. I let him go as HR was beginning to rise on the 5%- shows how unfit I am- to save a bit for the 8%. Hit the lowest gear a bit sooner than I normally would but this climb is deceptive. It looks worse than it is but I did mange to get to 90% of Max HR without feeling too bad.

Then my highlight-a 12% downhill for a mile and I went for it. I had a car sit on my tail at the start and that was what made go for it. It is a 30mph speed limit and to lose the car I broke it. Well and truly broke it so the winters lay off and the bike hasn't lost any rolling speed- and the brakes still work. Just as well as there is a roundabout at the bottom and I am still a 50+er when the conditions are right.

Then it was a gentle ride back home for 10 miles taking a tortuous route due to The MUP being repaired and closed. "Gentle Ride" back? Not according to my ride mate. He took the lead and it was 18mph. I don't do 18mph unless it is downhill so I was being stretched a bit. At some points he did slow down so I took my turn- but not for very long. Got home and "Nathan" admitted he was bushed. He had put everything into the ride- just so he did not show himself up- and the 30 miles was just enough.

I'll have to have a word with him as If that was him at his limit- it was above mine for most of the ride. Surprised at how good I felt but glad that I recorded the Giro D'Italia. Got home just as it was starting and woke up just after it had finished.I am kna**ered.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck stap, if you've been averaging 40 miles weekly you're way ahead of me! I've ridden about 250 miles this year with the longest being 16 miles. Additionally, in another rite of passage, I've been started on bp meds and am currently in the "what will work best" phase. The good thing is that my doc is amenable to accomadating my "atheleticism". This combined with I don't like riding in crappy weather and this spring has been, at least by my definition, crappy has conspired to slow my start this year. The weather, however, is finally beginning to change and I'm actually beginning to get a few rides done. Another 50 miles or so and I'll hopefully start to lengthen the distance. Soon I hope to sucumb to the sweet, siren call of Irma's!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You both have more in than i do, the weather has just been terrible. I rode 22 miles today and it was a little tough.We have rain and high humidity today, one day its in the 40s next in the 90s.Now i have to mow the grass thats is about 2ft,before it starts raining or snowing. ha. You sure give a great detailed ride report stapfam,thanks

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound like you lost too much over the winter.
    Good job!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I have lost a lot. Difference with todays ride was riding with Nathan. He is the nightmare rider that gives me the reason to ride on my own. He is fast- doesn't know where I am taking him and when he goes ahead- I have to stay within shouting distance to be able to tell him to turn left--Then I go right so he has to chase me down

I have lost a lot but Nathan did pull me along. Slipstreaming does work and is less tiring. Slopes and I just took my own pace and I prefer that. Everyone climbs hills at their own pace so not a problem but on the flat I had to work a bit harder than I wanted at times. Heart rate is higher than I want it to be for the effort put in and I am changing to lower gears on the slopes well before I used to.

I would take Nathan on a hilly ride but to be honest- I need to get a lot fitter. And on top of that- He has my hills bike. No wonder he is leaving me on the slopes.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 a week? I think there have a couple of months out of the past 6 that I haven't done 40 a month.
    Funny, though, as I mentioned somewhere earlier, I'm so rested that my strength is better than ever but my endurance? Aye, that's another story.

And a mile-long 5% approach to a mile-long 8% is just a slope to you? I think I'm in the wrong forum. Or sport
    You guys complain about things I cannot fathom. As Bobby Jones said of Nicklaus: "He plays a game with which I am not familiar"
    Jeez, how much must I suck?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 30 your new neighbor is too young for pie rides. But you need the pie for the carbs.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are doing just fine so far. Summer is coming, I am pretty sure anyway. It always has before.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next morning and I don't feel bad at all. Other than the knee whimpering a bit-No pains or new muscles found. That does surprse me as I would have Expected something from the effort I put in. So perhaps I do have some fitness left after the winter. BUT- it is the mental side I have to get right now.

And SKT- I call anything under 8% a slope. Any rise where I do not have to "Normally" use the lowest gear on the bike is not a hill to me. Saying that I do have a slope that is 3 to 5% for two miles that I hate. I never have got that one under control

RRBHeadrd.jpg RRHeadtogap.jpg

It just goes on and on and -- 1st pic is from the bottom and it is only when you get to the top and look back you realise how much you have climbed
    Last edited by stapfam; 05-14-11 at 11:11 PM.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longest winter layoff I have had was this year. It lasted 11 days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The moral of this story:

Don't compete with fit 30 year-olds!!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone