Thread: Greylock 2011

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greylock 2011

Today was cold and damp with rain in the forecast. Since I hate riding in the rain, what better day to go climbing? So I packed up the bike and headed East into the Berkshires to climb Greylock, the highest peak in Mass. Because of my training routine I choose the south side, a few hundred feet less elevation change and a mile longer than the north. Greylock is not a particularly steep climb, there are a few steep sections but mostly it is long - 10 miles.

Since the rain was coming in from the west it was dry but overcast in Mass. The climb was uneventful except for the fact that it went very well. I was able to stay on top of it the whole way up and not bog down or blow up. When I got to the top, I felt I could have climbed more.

No views as the mountain was in the clouds with a mist. Visibility was very poor.

This was the first time I noticed the AT markers in the sidewalk at the top, the trail goes right through this section. There was a bevy of boy scouts out hiking the trail when I git there.

"Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some days it can be "Not Good" weather for cycling- but you have to get out.

But after all that hard work and no view? At least you kept cool.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Some days it can be "Not Good" weather for cycling- but you have to get out.

But after all that hard work and no view? At least you kept cool.
    There is a huge monument at the top. All you could see was the base (where the bike pic was taken) when you were 50' away. A cold drippy mist. Getting too hot while climbing was not a problem. Luckily I had a jacket and arm warmers for the way down.

I did start to enjoy the ride down and almost didn't make the first hair pin turn, If I had not noticed the skid marks on the road and grabbed the brakes I might have been over the side. From that point on I kept my mind on the descent.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.