Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Assault on Mt Mitchell

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Assault on Mt Mitchell

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 02:09 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Assault on Mt Mitchell

Screamingly fast finish by several riders today. The top 4 finished in 5hr 7 mins. They did the first 74 miles in 3hrs 10 mins. Conditions were misty rain with dense fog on the mountain with temps in the 40's. It sounds very much like the first year I rode in it when you could not see more than a bike length in front of you on the Parkway.

I used to plan my schedule for the first 5 months of the year training for it. I didn't even realize it was being held today until I saw some results online. I'm glad I missed this one given the conditions and the degree of difficulty of the event. But, I can only think of one where it didn't rain and that one was where the temps were in the 90's up on the Parkway.

If anyone here is riding let us know how it went!
Old 05-16-11, 03:06 PM
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High of 40º at the top of Mitchell today with winds 10-13 mph. Other than the fog, I would consider the weather perfect for me! Too bad I don't care to do the AoMM anymore. I'd be lovin' the ridin' today.