Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Where have all the punters gone? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/73546-where-have-all-punters-gone.html)

stokell 11-04-04 02:19 PM

Where have all the punters gone?

You know those people. It's spring, they have a brand new expensive bike and they are wearing a yellow jersey. They go tearing past you riding the chain. I call these people punters, as in someone new and inexperienced. Around this time of year (autumn) they start to disappear and I have the road to myself again.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon?

As a year round bike commuter I've also observed those people (usually teenage males) who go tearing past you then after several minutes turn around to see how far back you are. If you are still on their tale, they usually make a right hand turn down a side street. I assume they do that so they can catch their breath and save face.

stapfam 11-05-04 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by stokell
You know those people. It's spring, they have a brand new expensive bike and they are wearing a yellow jersey. They go tearing past you riding the chain. I call these people punters, as in someone new and inexperienced. Around this time of year (autumn) they start to disappear and I have the road to myself again..

I must admit that I do get a bit narked at how crowded the trails get in the summer. You can't take a fast downhill offroad, without finding an inexperienced rider coming up the track slowly and right where you want to take your line. If its not a Biker, its a bunch of walkers and loose dogs, or a tractor.

Then come the first of the cold weather and you get the trails back to yourself again. Unfortunately, you then realise that it is lonely. Theres no-one about at all, but its not long till spring and those fairweather riders are back again. Then you find out that they are very fit, normally in the late 20's, have bikes that you could not dream of affording, and have a skill that leaves your 10 Years of mud plugging to shame. I don't what they do in the winter, But If a winter layoff means that you can retain that fitness, Then I'm going to hibernate till April.

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 08:09 AM

Wow, our forum is in a time warp. All I can see are threads from '04 and grumpy people!! :lol: :lol:

Rick@OCRR 01-12-16 08:22 AM

I guess there was a lot more to complain about back in '04! Not too many grumpy folks left on this forum anymore. Some things do improve with time!

Rick / OCRR

BlazingPedals 01-12-16 08:53 AM

What is "riding the chain?" Some obscure term from the '04?

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 18453512)

In keeping with the grumpiness of the OT, my guess is that it means a front derailleur needing trimming.

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 18453443)
I guess there was a lot more to complain about back in '04! Not too many grumpy folks left on this forum anymore. Some things do improve with time!

Rick / OCRR

Maybe some of them ***AHEM*** "moved on". :)

Biker395 01-12-16 09:56 AM

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps2esx614l.jpg

Rick@OCRR 01-12-16 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 18453547)
Maybe some of them ***AHEM*** "moved on". :)

Do I sense an implication that maybe the Mods. encouraged them to move on?

And Vic (Biker395), thank you for showing us the other side of this issue, i.e. grumpiness can be amusing too!

Rick / OCRR

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 18453933)

You just never know in this forum. I see he hasnt posted in 3yrs. Hopefully he is still with us.

bakes1 01-12-16 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by stokell (Post 711569)
You know those people. It's spring, they have a brand new expensive bike and they are wearing a yellow jersey. They go tearing past you riding the chain. I call these people punters, as in someone new and inexperienced. Around this time of year (autumn) they start to disappear and I have the road to myself again.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon?

As a year round bike commuter I've also observed those people (usually teenage males) who go tearing past you then after several minutes turn around to see how far back you are. If you are still on their tale, they usually make a right hand turn down a side street. I assume they do that so they can catch their breath and save face.

I guess the only thing lamer than a punter would be a bearded, disgruntled fred taking issue with other freds while riding an electric bike

reverborama 01-12-16 01:13 PM

After 5 minutes of Internet Stalking I found this video that he posted last month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZsu_eal2q4

Looks like he's doing just fine and still riding.

woodway 01-12-16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 18453933)

It's the 50+ forum. Maybe they...errr...moved on...

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by woodway (Post 18454432)
It's the 55+ forum. Maybe they...errr...moved on...

Yeah, I was trying to be tactful with that thought, too.

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 18454282)
After 5 minutes of Internet Stalking I found this video that he posted last month:

Good grief. Leave it to this generation to categorize "camping".

StanSeven 01-12-16 03:27 PM

Sometimes I feel like a punter. It takes such a long time to get dressed and ready to ride as opposed to 70 degree days, it doesn't seem worth it at times. But I still go out. If I don't, I don't feel right the rest of the day.

bargeon 01-12-16 03:38 PM

Yellow jersey? Aggg hopelessly dated bike-wear fashon. All the fashionable punters wear lime green.

TimothyH 01-12-16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 18453512)

riding the chain = riding in a paceline

dannwilliams 01-12-16 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR (Post 18453443)

Rick / OCRR

I think all the grumpy folks are in the Touring forum!

02Giant 01-12-16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 18454282)

Heh, heh, heh...he said pitch a tent

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 18454670)
riding the chain = riding in a paceline

Gotcha. Thanx.

jamesdak 01-12-16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 18454557)
Good grief. Leave it to this generation to categorize "camping".

LOL, I watched part of the video. I guess I am missing something. For this old country boy camping does mean in the middle of nowhere with no one else around for miles. I don't consider camping at an established place to be real camping at all and avoid it at all cost if possible. Never knew I was "stealth" camping, I just thought I was REALLY camping. :rolleyes:

h2oxtc 01-12-16 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bargeon (Post 18454652)
Yellow jersey? Aggg hopelessly dated bike-wear fashon. All the fashionable punters wear lime green.

This ↑ said just after I visit the Team Cannondale blog and see their new kit for this year - secretly thinking in the back of mind that I'd like one of their new lime green jerseys to wear when I'm riding the Cannondale! Sigh.

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jamesdak (Post 18455448)
LOL, I watched part of the video. I guess I am missing something. For this old country boy camping does mean in the middle of nowhere with no one else around for miles. I don't consider camping at an established place to be real camping at all and avoid it at all cost if possible. Never knew I was "stealth" camping, I just thought I was REALLY camping. :rolleyes:

Stealth. Like you're trying not to be seen. I guess I've been stealth backpacking? :lol:

OldsCOOL 01-12-16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by h2oxtc (Post 18455464)
This ↑ said just after I visit the Team Cannondale blog and see their new kit for this year - secretly thinking in the back of mind that I'd like one of their new lime green jerseys to wear when I'm riding the Cannondale! Sigh.

Funny thing, when I ride with my partner, he wears that hi-viz green. We both ride vintage Cannondale Criteriums ('88) and with my bright orange UA jersey we are confident people will see us two zip codes away.