Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone riding PALM 30?

Wondering if any of you are riding pALM 30 in June? It is our first tour, we are looking forward to it. Any tips from experienced cyclist who have toured? This tour is considered an intermediate level tour. I am keeping a blog, if anyone wants to check it out here is the link.

http://trikersbiking.blogspot.com/

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing you're talking about this.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks very nice,but how the heck do you get back to your car.I do see they will shuddle you back for 45 dollars which i guess isnt to bad.Is this what most do?Do they have planned break stops for food and water etc. or is this left to the rider?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about this.
    t have a friend pick us up

Sorry, I should have posted a link. Each cyclist is on their own for lunch, water, and melon will be provided along the ride. support all along the way, each day. There will be 2 bike mechanics traveling along. We purchased the meal plan, so will have breakfast and supper at the schools, where we will camp. We don't really want to break our tandem trike down, (it's 10 feet long) or have is banged up with other bikes. A friend is taking us to the start, which is about 50 miles from where we live. We are still working on getting home. Might have a friend pick us up, or do a one way Uhaul truck rental to get home. We end 184 miles from where we live. Total tour is 283 miles.
    Any group touring tips are appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that the people who transport the bikes are skilled in this, and you would not have to worry about getting your bike messed up.I am particular about my bike also and if this is a concern this ride would be out.A couple of folding chairs come in real handy, i use a quick dry hiking towel from REI this is very nice.some snackes,also i walk right into the shower with riding clothes on wash them up and hang to dry at campsite,a little clothes line is good.i take a poncho,hopefully you will not need it for yourself.I use the poncho to cover my bike at nite as it gets very wet with dew.I use an selfinflatable air mattress a sleeping bag is a must, however you may not really need it but one trip i was on it got down in the low 40s at night used it then.I put everything in a big duffel bag with each of my items in a garbage bag.Keep the weight down its gets hard to carry any distance if to heavy,you could use tandem to transport bag.All in all its a great time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DH and I have a hard time getting the trike back together once we take it apart, plus they ask that all mirrors etc be removed. We have some $$ invested in the trike and just aren't willing to risk getting it damaged. Never knew there was such a thing as a quick dry hiking towel, I'll have to check that out. Our gear will be in the sag truck, so we need only what is required for each daily ride. OUr trike is recumbent, so planning on covering the seats with garbage bags at night. I have a nice little portable clothes line, and we have rain gear and a battery operated blow up bed. I plan to bring a set of sheets along, incase it is too hot for the sleeping bags. We are bringing extra batteries for the blow up bed. Thanks for the suggestions.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably, PALM-30 means the Pedal Across Lower Michigan.

http://www.lmb.org/index.php/compone.../view,details/

I've never done it. For years, it was a fat-tire ride that stuck to trails and paths wherever possible. Ironically, now that there are actually trails that go almost across the entire state, they take roads(?) Anyway, it's neatly sandwiched between other stuff that I do; and with the low mileage it doesn't really interest me.

Quick-dry towels: The only name you need to know is "Sammy." You can get larger ones, but IMHO they're not needed. Here's one link - I just picked on it because it was the first one that came up in a search. Virtually any swim shop sells them.
    http://www.lane4swim.com/sammytowel.html

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great Michigan ride is the Michigander. One nice feature is that it's a different route each year, and lately they've been doing it as a "circle tour" so that you can park your vehicle near the start and come back to it on the last day. Moreover, you can also contract with Bubba's Pampered Pedalers to cater all your camping needs.

This ride is also in it's 20-somethingth year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will also be my first PALM. I plan on using this ride as a forced easy week (recovery) between all the races and training I have been doing.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2011 rudy and kay.jpg
    Ditch most of your stuff . . .
    We travel light on our tandem (total of 22 lbs) and have ridden from the Grand Canyon to Mexico (500+ miles) several times.

Pedal back to the start and stay in motels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea to ride back, i was thinking that also, but you still have a duffle bag at the end to contend with from the ride across.It sounds like a nice ride i guess i would have to catch the ride back.