Thread: Biking Foods

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biking Foods

I never really thought of myself as a health food "nut" but it dawned on me that I am trusting less and less the prepackaged health foods. Last week I ordered a dehydrator because I have found that after a hard ride I like protein and beef jerky is a good low fat source, however the stuff you buy is either loaded with chemicals, fatty and the really good stuff is over priced. I make my own real whole wheat breads for sandwiches, been doing that for years because what you find in the store (read the labels) is more hole rather than whole. There are some nutrition bars I like however most either taste bad or really are not all the nutritional (read the labels). I still use gels, IMHO some have value over honey because of added nutrients and taste a lot better - however with the dehydrator I might just take more dried fruits.

So I wonder - this thing comes in the mail in about a week, anyone used one for making bike foods?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great idea. Send some of that home made jerky my way!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of us over here are going on the "Natural" food kick. Non processed- no additives and no colourings. Just pure unadulterated food.

My problem is that it tastes so much better that I eat more and put on weight.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I never really thought of myself as a health food "nut" but it dawned on me that I am trusting less and less the prepackaged health foods. Last week I ordered a dehydrator because I have found that after a hard ride I like protein and beef jerky is a good low fat source, however the stuff you buy is either loaded with chemicals, fatty and the really good stuff is over priced. I make my own real whole wheat breads for sandwiches, been doing that for years because what you find in the store (read the labels) is more hole rather than whole. There are some nutrition bars I like however most either taste bad or really are not all the nutritional (read the labels). I still use gels, IMHO some have value over honey because of added nutrients and taste a lot better - however with the dehydrator I might just take more dried fruits.

So I wonder - this thing comes in the mail in about a week, anyone used one for making bike foods
    no dehydrator,but it looks like I'm not the only one who buys flour a 100lbs at a time..
    Bud

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made plenty of deer jerky in my dehydrator. My recipe uses black pepper, liquid smoke, and Lawrys seasoned salt to taste. The black pepper tastes good and acts as a preservative so I go fairly heavy with it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this experiment has been a roaring success. I have dehydrated apples and banana to take on rides, really good. I have made beef jerky as well - turned out great. We really like the dried fruits much better than what you find in the stores, my daughter has been taking them as snacks to schools as well. I am going to try a lot of different things now to take with me on long rides. It was a good buy.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    It was a good buy.
    How much did it cost?
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About $60 but since I was give a some Amazon.com gift certificates it was free.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you do the apples and bananas? Did you put anything on them like ascorbic acid?
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    How did you do the apples and bananas? Did you put anything on them like ascorbic acid?
    I had a bottle of lime juice so I just put some in a shallow dish and dipped them before they went in the dryer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I had read is that we absorb water from fruit, vegi's etc. better through the food we eat. Keep you bottles full as you will miss out on you liquid in take with the dehydrator. You will need to drink more fluid to off set the benefits lost from the dryed food.

Though it does sound healthy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically I am using this stuff in place of power bars. I made some fruit leathers from apple sauce (added a little cinnamon to give it an apple pie flavor), am trying that as a gel replacement. In general the flavors are much more intense than stuff in the stores and the calories are all there. It is light and compact to carry.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a fan of the newfangled 'food in a tube' that you can get. Typical foods that I carry with myself on longer bike rides are:
    Banana and/or orange
    Hard boiled egg along with one of those little salt packets you can get a fast food joints.
    Peanuts
    Gummy bears.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is timely. I'm riding longer as time goes by and the usual snack foods I've relied on till now are soon going to reach the end of their usefulness. In the past I've pack packed up to 10 days in the mountains of Colorado, carrying everything needed to sustain life on my back. For all my outings, I used mixed nuts and store bought dried fruit to snack on throughout the day. I love nuts and together with fruit you have a nutritionally dense food. That is to say, 4 to 6 ounces of a mixture of nuts and dried fruit contains about 400 calories or more and a variety of vitamins and minerals.

It is clear that the more we ride and stress our bodies, the greater the importance of nutrition during the ride itself.