User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minor (I hope) knee issue

I'm a runner as well as a cyclist, but generally don't have any particular knee problems except each Spring when I get the bikes out again. It can also be aggravated by spinning classes if I go at it hard, so I am pretty sure this is cycling rather than running-related.

Anyway, it's an ache on the inner (medial) side of my left knee that bothers me a bit later in the day or the day after vigorous cycling. Interestingly, there is no pain if I run on it or while cycling -- just a general soreness that persists afterwards for a day or so.

Anyone ever had anything like this? I am assuming it will go away again this year as it has in previous years, but it's one reason (besides a cold, windy, rainy day) that I skipped a 10K race yesterday. I have a 5K to run tomorrow and a half-marathon on Sunday, so I hope that doesn't aggravate it too much.

I know this isn't a running forum, but it does seem to be cycling that brings it on (I've been running consistently all winter, and this just started when I got the bikes out). I don't think it's fit either, as it happened after riding both my road bike and MTB for the first times.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across a thread a day or so ago on one of the sub forums on this very same topic but was not able to find it for you. There is such a range of responses to physical strains that even experts have difficulty sorting it out. My knees generally behave but just the other night, out of the blue, one knee woke me up due to discomfort, then the following day the issue disappeared. No known reason.

My suggestion is to search for that thread which linked to an article listing many issues relating to cycling pain with possible caused and cures. For example, some cyclists need a different Q factor which may be resolved by moving the cleats on shoes or a wedge under the cleat or orthotic foot beds. An immediate thing to try is to go back to platform pedals temporarily and if that helps figure out why. Good luck

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When considering fit are you taking into account cleat placement?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was going to say the same thing. Maybe a full fit is in order.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have a full fitting done that included cleat placement. He even put one cleat farther forward than the other to compensate for a slight difference in thigh length left to right. For what it's worth, almost every exercise-induced injury that I've had (past knee problems, pulled hamstring, sore Achilles, piriformis, etc.) has been on the left side.

Maybe I'm just left-leaning physically as well as politically... :-)

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongly consider a pair of "KneeSavers" to keep your pedal stroke perfectly straight without the slight twist at the bottom of each stroke to take the pressure off your knees.

http://www.kneesaver.net/
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this link today on knee issues.http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm