Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-18-11, 06:57 AM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
It's own topic: Cycling & the five crucial elements of well-being.

Cycling provides one of the five elements of well being: The feeling of being lost in a task.

the five crucial elements of well-being, each pursued for its own sake: positive emotion, engagement (the feeling of being lost in a task), relationships, meaning and accomplishment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/sc...me&ref=general

Dr. Brooks argues that what’s crucial to well-being is not how cheerful you feel, not how much money you make, but rather the meaning you find in life and your sense of “earned success” — the belief that you have created value in your life or others’ lives.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 09:41 AM   #2
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
It's interesting that Dr. Brooks' understanding of well-being evolves over time just like the rest of us. I don't disagree with his findings but I'd suggest to him that that the five elements are not of equal importance with every individual. This is a great topic for a philosophical discussion over some brandies.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-11, 10:45 AM   #3
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Actually, for me, cycling includes all five. But then, I'm probably addicted to cycling so I'm not your average kind of guy.

A similar kind of theory I heard (or read) long ago: In this one, there are only three crucial elements, Identity, Security and Excitement. These are the things we are working toward, but one may have to be sacrificed to accomplish another.

All kinds of fun to discuss . . . but probably not enough to live by.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote