User Tag List

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's own topic: Cycling & the five crucial elements of well-being.

Cycling provides one of the five elements of well being: The feeling of being lost in a task.

the five crucial elements of well-being, each pursued for its own sake: positive emotion, engagement (the feeling of being lost in a task), relationships, meaning and accomplishment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/sc...me&ref=general

Dr. Brooks argues that what’s crucial to well-being is not how cheerful you feel, not how much money you make, but rather the meaning you find in life and your sense of “earned success” — the belief that you have created value in your life or others’ lives.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that Dr. Brooks' understanding of well-being evolves over time just like the rest of us. I don't disagree with his findings but I'd suggest to him that that the five elements are not of equal importance with every individual. This is a great topic for a philosophical discussion over some brandies.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, for me, cycling includes all five. But then, I'm probably addicted to cycling so I'm not your average kind of guy.

A similar kind of theory I heard (or read) long ago: In this one, there are only three crucial elements, Identity, Security and Excitement. These are the things we are working toward, but one may have to be sacrificed to accomplish another.

All kinds of fun to discuss . . . but probably not enough to live by.

Rick / OCRR