Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Guys and White Shoes

Like it's wired into the DNA; something about wearing white shoes when you get older - bike, athletic, casual...what's going on? Similarly, I notice some 70+ guys I've known for many years suddenly wearing pink or pastel colored shirts, something they would never have done in their day...they look like a bunch of easter eggs.

What strange sick trick of nature is this?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a trick of nature- As we get older-Eyesight fades- our tastes change- money gets tighter and the less popular colours are on offer at a good discount.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Athletic shoes have been predominantly white since I was kid, with the exception of some sport-specific ones like bike shoes, or shoes for turf sports (though many of those changed to white in the late 60s), so I don't really get that one. Street shoes, though, yeah that's pretty cringe-worthy. And white belts.

For me, the breaking point is horizontal-striped polo shirts like my dad used to wear. If I ever wear one, my wife has permission to take me out back and shoot me.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the white athletic shoes but if my belt ends up across my chest -- shoot me, it's over.

My Bikes
    Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFit View Post
    Similarly, I notice some 70+ guys I've known for many years suddenly wearing pink or pastel colored shirts, something they would never have done in their day
    That's not exactly how it was in the 1950s. Many movies picture the teenagers of the '50s wearing jeans. However that didn't come in until the 1960s. Where I grew up, only the boys who had just come from doing farm chores would come to school wearing jeans. The rest of us boys wore the trendy colors to school: pink and charcoal. Usually that was a pair of charcoal dress slacks (sometimes with pink flecks in them) and a pink (long-sleeve with collar) shirt or charcoal & pink shirt (if we could afford it). So maybe these fellow 70-year-olds are just reliving the glory days of the '50s.
    "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed,
    The dear repose for limbs with travel tired;
    But then begins a journey in my head,
    To work my mind, when body's work's expired"
    -- Shakespeare Sonnet XXVII
    Click here to visit Motorera.com

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the plaid shorts, white shoes, black knee-high socks, and belt go well with the striped shirt while riding my golf cart to the 7-11 store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP must live in Florida.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've got way too much time on your hands.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing white shoes, white belt, pink shirt, plaid shorts, black knee high socks, panama hat and driving a vintage convertible cadillac will help you score a woman with blue tint in her hair! (Not a blue streak, like the fixi chicks, but old lady grey, tinted blue)
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like it's wired into the DNA; something about wearing white shoes when you get older - bike, athletic, casual...what's going on? Similarly, I notice some 70+ guys I've known for many years suddenly wearing pink or pastel colored shirts, something they would never have done in their day...they look like a bunch of easter eggs.

My 76 year old mother calls those sporting the white hair/white shoe look "Q-Tips."

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear white sneakers (New Balance). One pair is trimmed with dark blue. Another paid is trimmed with yellow. But my favorite off-bike footwear is my sandals. I like them so much I ordered two pairs from Cabela's. Very comfy. I wear them during the warm months. NO SOCKS!!

I wear these on the bike. White socks!!

Last edited by RonH; 05-18-11 at 04:04 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what all the fuss is about. I like all that stuff.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember this post when you get older and are tired of dressing the way everyone else is or want's you to.

I'm 65 and I started dressing different at 59 'cause I was so damn tired of jeans and work shirts or tee shirts.

The world can go right on by if they think I'm strange 'cause I don't dress like they expect me to.

Get a grip kid...your times coming.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called a Full Cleveland.

I have white shoes, helmet, jersey, wind jacket AND gloves. And one of my bikes is predominantly white with a white saddle. I just pretend I'm an Italian traffic control officer. White has good visibility, and no one makes fun of you if you're fast enough.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Not a trick of nature- As we get older-Eyesight fades- our tastes change- money gets tighter and the less popular colours are on offer at a good discount.
    +1, but black paint is cheap, too. Paint it black.

I'd post a picture of my once white shoes, if I wasn't too lazy to look for my camera.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...What strange sick trick of nature is this?
    Maybe the same one that compels them to go and buy a Buick, a white belt to go with the shoes, and a funny hat.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Terex;12661645]It's called a Full Cleveland.

I have white shoes, helmet, jersey, wind jacket AND gloves. And one of my bikes is predominantly white with a white saddle. I just pretend I'm an Italian traffic control officer. White has good visibility, and no one makes fun of you if you're fast enough.[/QUOT

But you got to have the goods to go with white cycling shorts. Real men are color coordinated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young, I tried to look Cool, and eventually figured out nobody cared anyway. I could wear pink or polka dots, wouldn't make much difference. They'd say, "Hey, nice polka dots, but you're still uncool."

On a somewhat related note, my dad is the kind that just can't stand to throw anything out, regardless of how worn or how out-of-fashion it might be. I was at a costume store one time and saw a clown tie that was about 8" wide. I was tempted to take it down to his place, say, "Oh, this tie is too ugly to wear" and toss it in the trash, just to see if he would dig it out and wear it himself.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What<<<< no bow ties??????

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago my boss came to work in a pair of 1970's plaid polyester pants with flared cuffs!

I told him if he died and was buried in those pants, they would never decompose. In 10,000 years an anthropologist would find his remains and develop a theory on the culture in the 20th century based on those pants.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Kip
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    It's called a Full Cleveland.

I have white shoes, helmet, jersey, wind jacket AND gloves. And one of my bikes is predominantly white with a white saddle. I just pretend I'm an Italian traffic control officer. White has good visibility, and no one makes fun of you if you're fast enough.
    Itsn't it considered a fashion faux pas to ride a white bicycle except between Memorial and Labor days?

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Itsn't it considered a fashion faux pas to ride a white bicycle except between Memorial and Labor days?
    It's not a faux pas; it's just that outside of those times you can't find the bike in the snow pile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me out

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still wear Converse All Stars/One Stars/Chuck Taylor's practically all summer long. I've got white, grey, black, blue, and stars & stripes. Very comfortable for anything but the cobbles.

I am looking for a white belt, though. A wide one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its whatever they had in the thrift store.....
    Bud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast