Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BUSTED! Lance Armstrong cheated and now us old guys don't look so feeble

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BUSTED! Lance Armstrong cheated and now us old guys don't look so feeble

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Is it possible to succeed in bicycle racing without cheating?
This was never the question. It's only a weak excuse for cheating.
Old 05-21-11, 04:43 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It is a question. Perhaps not the one you want to answer, but it's the question I've asked.
Old 05-21-11, 04:47 AM

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
Dopped or not, I don't really care. What I do care about is that he has raised the visibility of professional cycling within the general public. Because of his exploits, more people are now riding, and that can only be a good thing.
Thats a good point
Old 05-21-11, 05:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Just remember that everyone who gets caught in a doping test has passed many such tests while doping. There is a fine art to hiding the presence of doping from the tests. Not having tested positive means much in a court of law, but it does not really answer the "what really happened?" question.

Having all these accusers does not prove that LA doped, but never having tested positive does not prove that he didn't. The fact that his accusers lied about doping when they were caught does not prove that they are lying when they later confess. The truth is hard to know and is clouded by what we want to believe.

I have been a Lance fan since he first turned pro and long before his bout with cancer and his TdF victories. As a cancer survivor I was inspired by his victory over cancer, his success afterwards and the important work he has done to help people battling cancer. I don't know if he doped or not. I would like to think that he didn't, but I'm not betting on it.
Bluesdawg, I have always believed Lance, for one simple reason, he's a cancer survivor. I can't believe after battling and overcoming cancer the way he did, that he would ever put anything in his body that possibly cause it to come back. As a cancer survivor does that make sense to you? Thanks and congratulations!
Old 05-21-11, 05:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Lightingguy;12671233]YAWN !

I'm thinking LA is probably hoping Rapture Day really happens so all these do-gooders will finally leave him alone !.

and topical too
Old 05-21-11, 05:29 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
Actually it will be a segment on 60 Minutes this Sunday
oh.that's better.....lol.
Old 05-21-11, 06:35 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by boogoshea
Bluesdawg, I have always believed Lance, for one simple reason, he's a cancer survivor. I can't believe after battling and overcoming cancer the way he did, that he would ever put anything in his body that possibly cause it to come back. As a cancer survivor does that make sense to you? Thanks and congratulations!
It makes sense that you would want to believe it to be that way. I think there is a tendency to want to bestow sainthood on cancer survivors. Battling cancer changes people, but they are still people - with the same strengths and weaknesses as anyone.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 05-21-11 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-21-11, 06:38 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Hamilton is writing a book and needs publicity. That's all. How you get Armstrong is busted and us old guys play by the rules doesn't connect
Reminiscent of Jose Canseco.
Old 05-21-11, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If he did, it was not detected. I don't care if he did, there's not another cyclist in the world that could've come back from what he did & win the TDF & the powers that be don't like that. IAMALF
Old 05-21-11, 06:43 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
George Hincapie jumps in the fray:
https://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...sterone_174866
Old 05-21-11, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
This is a good documentary on drugs in sports.

Bigger,Faster,Stronger*
The side effects of being American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkL1T-CZPfs
Old 05-21-11, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by late
This is a good documentary on drugs in sports.

Bigger,Faster,Stronger*
The side effects of being American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkL1T-CZPfs
I rented that about a year ago.
OUTSTANDING!
It was refreshing seeing a calm, objective analysis without the hysteria.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 05-21-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-21-11, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It makes sense that you would want to believe it to be that way. I think there is a tendency to want to bestow sainthood on cancer survivors. Battling cancer changes people, but they are still people - with the same strengths and weaknesses as anyone.
Thanks for responding. What I meant was, after the h*ll he went through to beat cancer, I wouldn't think he'd ever put anything in his body that might cause him to get cancer again. I'm just thinking plain self preservation, would be why he wouldn't risk PEDs.
Old 05-21-11, 07:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for responding. What I meant was, after the h*ll he went through to beat cancer, I wouldn't think he'd ever put anything in his body that might cause him to get cancer again. I'm just thinking plain self preservation, would be why he wouldn't risk PEDs.
I see that line of reasoning a lot. But one of the first things you learn after surviving cancer is that your chances of getting it again are higher than the general population. I think you could just as easily make the argument that one might calculate he had less to lose by going for success by any means necessary. I am not making that argument. I just think that being a cancer survivor can't be considered a reason why one would or would not take risks in pursuing a goal.
Old 05-21-11, 07:41 AM

There is no evidence of the cancer being caused by drug use.
There is plenty of evidence that a cyclist cannot be competitive w/o drug use.
Old 05-21-11, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything is he said/she said. Like with anyone successful people are out to get you. It's a shame that happens.
Old 05-21-11, 08:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
There is no evidence of the cancer being caused by drug use.
There is plenty of evidence that a cyclist cannot be competitive w/o drug use.
I didn't think his cancer was caused by drug use. I just thought that after having cancer he wouldn't want to take the chance of enhancing his changes of getting it again by taking PEDs. BlueDawg explained why that might not be so.
I totally agree with your second statement.
Dang.
Old 05-21-11, 08:45 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Fox News. Enough said.
ROTFLMFAO - You will believe it if it's on CBS, but not on FOX??? Wasn't it CBS' Dan Rather that got caught fabricating a huge 'news story' about George Bush's military record?

ROTFLMFAO!!!

Old 05-21-11, 08:53 AM

Bikes: LeMond Victoire

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lance Armstrong: the endgame begins.

https://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-an...ndgame-begins/
Old 05-21-11, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For all you who want to say what "George Said", please try to keep up. "Related: George Hincapie via Twitter“I can confirm to you I never spoke with “60 Minutes.” I have no idea where they got their information
Don't say George said based on what 60 minutes said George said. I think GH should sue 60 min. What a joke of journalism 60 mins is. Should be banned from TV by FTC or rightly named National Enguirer. What a bunch of idiots.
Old 05-21-11, 09:25 AM

Bikes: BIANCHI INFINITO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the sport and the only reason i know what road bike riding is because of Lance Armstrong! If he was not the best we would not even be hearing about this, and I for one wish all these people trying to make a name for them selves would do it on there own merit. Look maybe he did use it but where is the proof. If they could not find it in all those test let it be what good would it do for the sport except to encourage it's use! I promis you with all the stuff that is banned none of us would test clean!!!!
Old 05-21-11, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tony N.
For all you who want to say what "George Said", please try to keep up. "Related: George Hincapie via Twitter“I can confirm to you I never spoke with “60 Minutes.” I have no idea where they got their information
Don't say George said based on what 60 minutes said George said. I think GH should sue 60 min. What a joke of journalism 60 mins is. Should be banned from TV by FTC or rightly named National Enguirer. What a bunch of idiots.
So it isn't possible to learn what someone said to a grand jury, unless you get it directly from the person testifying.
I did not know that.
Old 05-21-11, 11:07 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
So it isn't possible to learn what someone said to a grand jury, unless you get it directly from the person testifying.
I did not know that.
Grand jury testimony is sealed. If they got it, they obtained it illegally.
Old 05-21-11, 11:34 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by xizangstan
ROTFLMFAO - You will believe it if it's on CBS, but not on FOX??? Wasn't it CBS' Dan Rather that got caught fabricating a huge 'news story' about George Bush's military record?

ROTFLMFAO!!!

https://mediamythbusters.com/index.ph...ergate#Summary

"Rathergate is the scandal surrounding the 60 Minutes II story aired on CBS in 2004 about George W. Bush's National Guard service. Memos providing the basis for many of the claims in the report were supposedly created in 1973 and found in the files of the late Lieutenant Colonel Jerry B. Killian. Bloggers and blog readers investigated the suspicious looking documents which were made available to the public on the CBS website and found them to almost certainly be poor forgeries created on a modern era word processor. Four CBS employees lost their jobs over the report. Dan Rather famously defended the report, claiming the memos might be "fake, but accurate" and later went into early retirement."

Old 05-21-11, 12:40 PM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Reminiscent of Jose Canseco.
Love him, hate him, put him in a league w/t Anti-Christ and every word in his book is still true. But, that's a whole other thread.

I tend to go w/t Graeme Obree quote from Wiki that says, "99% of riders a/t elite level take EPO or a similar drug. Not particularly to dope themselves but to be at the same level with others."

W/testosterone there are levels both low and high. As long as one falls between those limits one can be using a supplement like Androgel and still not test out of the norm. FL's mistake was that he stupidly took a mega shot, tested way high and was subsequently stripped. Because LA never failed a test doesn't mean he wasn't using a PED such as Androgel. It simply means he never tested outside of standardized limits. That being said even a high level of testosterone within normal boundries would give him no competitive advantage.

And HGH use is doubtful as well. His extremities have remained the same size. Anyone who's followed the BB story would know of the substantial increase in foot and head sizes he's incurred. So, whether LA used or didn't use is immaterial. He passed every test at every level according to rules set down by others than himself. The governing bodies have only themselves to blame for not making their procedures lock-tight if indeed he was guilty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.