Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   BUSTED! Lance Armstrong cheated and now us old guys don't look so feeble (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/736935-busted-lance-armstrong-cheated-now-us-old-guys-dont-look-so-feeble.html)

xizangstan 05-20-11 11:34 AM

BUSTED! Lance Armstrong cheated and now us old guys don't look so feeble

Heads and Olympic gold medals are rolling. Now we shouldn't feel so bad in comparison. They cheated and us old folks just keep on playing by the rules...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...strong-doping/

:p

bigbadwullf 05-20-11 11:36 AM

Hamilton was busted not Armstrong. Now, whether or not Lance did APO is still in question I guess although the article says he was tested and never failed a test.
I don't see how you can say Armstrong was busted.

BluesDawg 05-20-11 11:54 AM

Here we go again.:popcorn

StanSeven 05-20-11 12:03 PM

Hamilton is writing a book and needs publicity. That's all. How you get Armstrong is busted and us old guys play by the rules doesn't connect

stapfam 05-20-11 12:37 PM

Had 500 drug tests and Nothing ever found.

I am not a Lance fan but I think there is good evidence to say that he was not taking a detectable drug all the time he was racing. I put the detectable bit in because if there no test for any drug- Then it would not have been on the banned substance list. He did not even get caught in the trap of putting two "Legal" substances together that reacted to make something else that was illegal.

I think it is about time that the allegations are dropped before they find out that in 1999 he took a sleeping pill that had something in it that is now illegal And declare that one of the finest athletes we have had was a cheat. And I repeat- I am not a Lance fan.

longbeachgary 05-20-11 12:45 PM

I am a Lance fan. I don't understand why it is so important for these known cheaters to try to bring down the greatest American cyclist. You guys dopped and denied it and in some cases took money from the public to pay for your defense. To bring allegations against someone else whether true or untrue is sad.

BikeWNC 05-20-11 01:13 PM

Fox News. :crash: Enough said.

az_cyclist 05-20-11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by BikeWNC (Post 12670288)
Fox News. :crash: Enough said.

Actually it will be a segment on 60 Minutes this Sunday

himespau 05-20-11 01:44 PM

Eh, he probably doped. Thing is, so did everyone else, so it was pretty much a level playing field and that means that he (while cheating) beat all the other cheaters 7 times. Don't particularly like the guy and don't think that cheating is right, but I figure it all evens out to him being a better cyclist. Just like with baseball, everyone did it, let's get over it and move on with our lives.

alcanoe 05-20-11 01:48 PM

I had a friend/associate who unfortunately befriended a druggie. The druggie got caught and ratted on my friend who never touched the stuff or sold it. The druggie got a reduced sentence since he added the autorities get another "criminal". My friend lost his job and spent years proving his innocence. The case against him was dismissed. It's an old game by those who get caught with the goods.

A lot of people apparently want Armstrong to have doped and seem to revel in these articles.

Armstrong has had many accusers and has taken some of them to court and has won everytime. He's even beat the French authorities and their lab in court as I remember.

Me, I'm a fan and he's innocent until proven otherwise.

Al

cyanemi 05-20-11 01:55 PM

After I read Lance's book I became not a fan but he has been accused before and passed whatever tests he had to pass numerous times so this guy Hamilton is probably trying to get some money and publicity. If it is slander then Lance should be able to sue him without any problems

Leisesturm 05-20-11 01:59 PM

Isn't there like a Lance Armstrong forum? I'm sure I've seen it. Not a fan, not not a fan. But a long time ago Occam of Razor postulated that the simplest explanation is likely the valid one. The simplest explanation as to how someone who is arguably merely human albeit a superbly fit human, could consistently win against known dopers. Time and time and time again... ... is that Lance was also doping. No other theory is valid except the theory that Lance is in fact not completely human but is part Vulcan.

H

cervelo4me 05-20-11 02:02 PM

you have to be kidding me to not know that lanced doped.he doped

az_cyclist 05-20-11 02:03 PM

I am not ready to believe Hamilton or Landis. Both lied too long. That does not mean I believe LA did not dope. I hope he didn't, but would not be suprised if he did.

One thing to ponder.....I recall Landis leading LA up mountain stages with US Postal. Even if LA was clean, did the fact that some key members of his team did dope help him win?

BluesDawg 05-20-11 02:25 PM

Just remember that everyone who gets caught in a doping test has passed many such tests while doping. There is a fine art to hiding the presence of doping from the tests. Not having tested positive means much in a court of law, but it does not really answer the "what really happened?" question.

Having all these accusers does not prove that LA doped, but never having tested positive does not prove that he didn't. The fact that his accusers lied about doping when they were caught does not prove that they are lying when they later confess. The truth is hard to know and is clouded by what we want to believe.

I have been a Lance fan since he first turned pro and long before his bout with cancer and his TdF victories. As a cancer survivor I was inspired by his victory over cancer, his success afterwards and the important work he has done to help people battling cancer. I don't know if he doped or not. I would like to think that he didn't, but I'm not betting on it.

himespau 05-20-11 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by az_cyclist (Post 12670527)

One thing to ponder.....I recall Landis leading LA up mountain stages with US Postal. Even if LA was clean, did the fact that some key members of his team did dope help him win?

Good point. In track and field, if one member of your relay is on the juice, you all lose your medals. I wonder if a one for all punishment scheme would cause peer pressure into keeping the sport cleaner.

NOS88 05-20-11 03:09 PM

I've got to confess that I don't see how this is news, regardless of it being on Fox or 60 minutes. To me news is something that has an impact on my life. The tsunami in Japan? Yep, news. Prices of somethings will go up and some part/products I purchase could become scarce. Flooding on the Mississippi? Yep, news. I have family and friends that live along the river. Lance, Floyd, Tyler, Alberto possibly doping? Nope, not news. Sick entertainment? Probably closer to this than news. I know some will argue that it is news, because if he did it, they were mislead in terms of donations to the cause he has championed so very well. I think that would be a somewhat hollow claim. I would hope it was the cause that merits the gift, not Lance.

But, as BD, said, "Here we go again." :popcorn

Lightingguy 05-20-11 04:40 PM

YAWN !

I'm thinking LA is probably hoping Rapture Day really happens so all these do-gooders will finally leave him alone !.

SB

volosong 05-20-11 06:10 PM

Dopped or not, I don't really care. What I do care about is that he has raised the visibility of professional cycling within the general public. Because of his exploits, more people are now riding, and that can only be a good thing.

BluesDawg 05-20-11 07:30 PM

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/...sterone_174866

It's all over now, baby blue.

himespau 05-20-11 08:11 PM

hincapie sounds like a classy dude.

cyclinfool 05-20-11 08:15 PM

As I said in the last thread that came up about this,
Lance who?

Shimagnolo 05-20-11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by himespau (Post 12672001)
hincapie sounds like a classy dude.

So if he lied to a federal grand jury, he would still have his class?:twitchy:
:roflmao2:

qmsdc15 05-20-11 08:55 PM

Is it possible to succeed in bicycle racing without cheating?

bikepro 05-20-11 09:16 PM

This is the first time I've heard George make accusations. I think George is the most credible wittness thus far. I think it's a case of "you can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but . . ."

I'd place the probability at 97% that the grand jury charges Lance.

"George Hincapie, a longtime member of Lance Armstrong's inner circle, also told federal authorities he saw the seven-time Tour de France winner use performance-enhancing drugs, according to another segment of the "60 Minutes" report that aired Friday night on the "CBS Evening News."