Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

change in postion - now some back pain.... cross post from clydes

Ok, I'm a big guy, will always be. Started riding last April (2010) @ just under 300 lbs. 4300 miles later I'm @ 245. Cholesterol went from 190 to 85, the doc likes me again. Have went from tight 40 waist to wearing 36's. Closer to 50 years than anything else.

Started riding @ 8-10-12 miles, always pushed just a bit. Just wired that way. Most of my rides now @ 30+ miles a lot of 50's and with a few 75+ miles every few weeks.

But, over the past 3-4 weeks I've got more aggressive on the hills, (live in the Ozarks) standing, working harder, taller gear, even trying to gain speed on them - just pushing myself. One thing I discovered about the same time is if I bend farther down, nose toward the stem - it feels like I'm getting more strength into the pedal stroke. But now, I'm getting a bit touchy in the lower back. Is this something I need to build up to or just stay setting up more.

Bike set up is unchanged - exact same everything.

Anybody else been here before?

marc

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For lower back pain try moving the saddle back a bit to encourage stretching and flattening the lower back, and lowering it a bit less to account for the extra stretch forward to the pedals. For example, if you move the saddle back 1 cm, lower it about a half-centimeter. This doesn't work for everyone but it has worked for me and a few friends and customers who've tried it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often get lower back pain on really steep hills, where my cadence is way down, maybe 30-40 rpm. I'm OK on hills where I have low enough gears to either sit and spin, or stand without straining excessively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My spouse went through exactly what you describe. After years of suffering, he found out that his quads were a little on the tight side. Try hurdler's stretches to get more flexibility there and you may find the pain in the lower back stops happening. Don't just stretch before a ride, do it often during the day and after a ride (but not if your back is already in pain).
    Last edited by TheHen; 05-25-11 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're just pushing harder and working the muscles around the lower back and glutes more. They need some time to adjust. Any changes to fit, position or type of training will require an adjustment period. I get the same sort of discomfort and pain early in the season when I start to add hills to my riding.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it's the same issue, but when I first got my bike, I had some minor back pain, when I haven't ridden in the drops much and do so, I notice it- just a matter of flexibility and stretching in my case, if I ride in the drops off and on, no problem.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropping down when climbing uses different muscles, you can get a lot of power that way. That power comes from your hips and lower back and abs. You may have worked some new muscles.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Dropping down when climbing uses different muscles, you can get a lot of power that way. That power comes from your hips and lower back and abs. You may have worked some new muscles.
    +1 Core muscle development helps a great deal with cycling. I think Cyclinfool got it right. You may have just pushed your lower back muscles a bit beyond what they are accustomed to.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a guy who has dealt with lower back pain for a long time and have learned to deal with it. I suspect that as your fitness has improved and you work harder on the bike, you have exceeded the range of effort possible with current core strength. All athletic effort is dependent on core strength as this is what connects top and bottom. Core exercises is what has kept me mobile, even spending increasing amounts of time in the drops. Check out this link for detailed info. http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/a/corestrength.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get lower back pain that is attributable to prostatitis. Maybe something to consider? Personally I think a LOT of men have this and think it's back related and it isn't. Caffeine(and alcohol) is my big trigger for this. Have to watch it like crazy.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maxfarm, I had intended to add a word about dropping a bunch of weight and getting fit. Somehow I forgot or had a senior moment. It takes a good amount of effort to undertake major lifestyle changes and you are to be applauded for this. I know that since I've retired I've gained about 15 lbs that seem to be welded in place. I'm stronger and fitter but the extra pounds remain. It is something of an inspiration to me that folks who have much further to go to see their ultimate goals are able to stick to their objectives. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Berner, It was one of those forced deals. The doctor wanted me to start a cholesterol med - I pleaded for a chance. Now, have no interest in going backwards. Plus I have mandatory another physical every two years with numbers I HAVE to be below. So it was one rock, hit two targets.

I'd strongly recommend cycling to anyone - it's been a good friend to me. :-)

BTW, I'm doing some core building now... ;-)

marc

Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    Maxfarm, I had intended to add a word about dropping a bunch of weight and getting fit. Somehow I forgot or had a senior moment. It takes a good amount of effort to undertake major lifestyle changes and you are to be applauded for this. I know that since I've retired I've gained about 15 lbs that seem to be welded in place. I'm stronger and fitter but the extra pounds remain. It is something of an inspiration to me that folks who have much further to go to see their ultimate goals are able to stick to their objectives. Well done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my wife and I have experience much less back pain by lowering the bars. I now ride with the tops of the bars 10.5 cm below the top of the saddle and my back is loving it. It does take some conditioning though to get used to. The only downside is more pressure on the hands.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when I rode uprights, riding too much in the drops made me feel my back muscles. I don't think the position is more stressful, but it's just a matter of a change in position requiring some time to acclimate to.