Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-11, 08:08 AM   #1
drr timberline

Bikes: Roadmaster Comfort Classic Ladies, 2006 GT Timberline LTD Ladies Frame, 2005 GT Timberline LTD Mens Frame
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My urologist recommends I get a gel split seat, re my age and urinary tract infection

I am male, age 58. (Additional edit from original post, I am 5' 11", 197 lbs., if its important for a seat choice.) I recently had and am being treated for a severe urinary tract infection. My urologist has advised me not to ride for 2 weeks. She has also recommended I get a gel split seat for my bike. I ride a GT Timberline LTD comfort bike, commute approx 5 miles to work and back, 10 mile rides with wife on evenings and weekends. Also a few 20-25 mile group rides. I currently have a Selle Royale Look-In gel on my bike now. This came on the bike and has been good til now.

I know gel seats, but know nothing about split seats for a man. I did web searches and came up with hundreds to choose from. I need help finding the best for my needs. I'm not rich, but want a good seat and will pay the price. The seat's gotta be cheaper that what the hospital and doctors are charging me. Need your help.
Thanks, David

Last edited by drr timberline; 05-24-11 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added my height and weight
drr timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:25 AM   #2
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Have you checked your local bike shop? Saddles are sort of like shoes - you can't always be sure of the fit if you order by mail or internet.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:40 AM   #3
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
David, I'll be 69 next month, and am your height and weight. Gel saddles give me open sores on my sit bones on multi-day rides, so I've switched to a foam padded Selle SMP Pro. Selle SMP makes a number of models with varying widths and varying amounts of padding, and for issues related to pressure on the soft tissue in the nether region, they are superb. I'm not connected in any way with Selle SMP except as a happy customer. I will say that saddle comfort is a very individual thing, though, and what's very comfortable for one rider may be an butt-hatchet for another. For me, my Selle SMP Pro is nirvana. I can ride all day in comfort.

Selle SMP Patent

My Selle SMP Pro:

Old 05-24-11, 08:47 AM   #4
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Is your Urologist a bicyclist BTW? Gel has never worked for me in anyway. Seats or gloves.
Northwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:54 AM   #5
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I agree on going to your local bike shop and having them help you select one. They can even measure your sit bones for comfort.

I've ridden on an anatomically friendly seat for years, and swear by them. I don't have much cushion, gel or otherwise, as after a few miles they actually cause saddle sores, etc. I also have identical saddles (or near identical) on all my bikes. Found one that works well and am sticking with it.

Since the saddle is your major contact with the bike, and where most of the pain comes from cycling, it is not the place to save pennies. I can sit on mine for hours comfortably.
Cychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:33 AM   #6
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
The same women (doctors included) who insist all males are built alike, wouldn't all wear the exact same bra, would they?

I'm finding at age 64 that I need to put my weight on my sit bones. My male parts are 2 to 3 times the size of the average guy's, roots included. When I allow much weight to rest on my penis roots, I have problems - the least of which are numbness. Another result has been growing strictures, or blockages, in my urethra. That means urine can't pass. Which can be life threatening. I go to the doctor for it now, and I sit on my sit bones.

Bottom line: We're not all exactly alike. Don't let them tell you something you know better. Go to a good local bike shop, and try some saddles for comfort.
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:56 AM   #7
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Or you could just get a recumbent bike.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:01 AM   #8
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Or you could just get a recumbent bike.
I was waiting for that
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:07 AM   #9
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Here's a single data point for you.

Back in the olden days, when I rode diamond framed bikes, I used to be troubled with "numb manhood". Specialized Body Geometry saddles helped but did not eliminate the issue. Brooks saddles totally eliminated it for me.

For what it's worth.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:12 AM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a gel saddle and it has a cutout. It is Flite "Gel MAX"? or something like that and is modelled on the original Flite Titanium that I bought 15 years ago. It may have gell in it but the layer is so thin that it just gives a bit of Cushioning. The other saddle that feels exactly the same is a San Marco "Aero". Cut out again but the cushioning is foam. The compression on both these saddles is about 6mm but they both have the cutout. That cutout is the important bit as I still prefer a firm saddle. The important part for me is getting the sitbones in the right place and not sitting on the underparts.

And if you want to find out how uncomfortable a saddle is- Have a radical prostatectomy and try and sit on a saddle within 2 months- Then you will have to find the right saddle.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 10:38 AM   #11
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
I was waiting for that
I'm surprised it took that long.

OP, the thing to do is try saddles to see if they work for you. Good advice above about putting your weight on the sit bones, and this takes practice.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 11:33 AM   #12
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here's the one I use now and so far so good. I don't use chamois cream anymore and I don't get any chafing.

http://www.probikekit.com/us/contact...le-saddle.html

Nashbar sells them to, so you can try it out and if it doesn't work you can send it back.
Old 05-24-11, 01:28 PM   #13
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Bikes:
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
You shouldn't put any weight at all on you urethra/penis/etc .
Your genitals weren't designed for weight bearing.You will damage the nerves, and blood vessels and the urethra if you continually use them to support weight.
There are saddles that prevent genital weight bearing-a nose less saddles-The Seat is pretty good in that respect-and there are the two piece split saddles also.
The only downside to these saddles is they take LOTS of getting used to. They just don't really feel "right"-after 2 years of use!
Yes, it is a big downside- but it beats urethral strictures and impotence.
Yeah folks will say" I have used my Brooks etc forever" but saddles weren't designed to protect your soft parts-they were designed to get you in a efficient position to ride-and not get saddle sores.
Of course a saddle that concentrates your weight on your sit bones will increase the likelihood of saddle sores-same weight- less area means more pressure-more breakdown.
Choose your poison- impotence and strictures- or saddle sores if you insist on many hour long rides.
Or get a recumbent.
Charlie
phoebeisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 01:52 PM   #14
ericm979

Bikes:
Your urologist could be like one I saw for a non bike related problem, who told me that I was an idiot for riding a bike at all. He's wrong of course.

I find that saddles with cutouts reduce or prevent penile numbness. Saddles should be fairly hard- you sink into soft saddles and that puts pressure where you don't want it. I've had a few (ok, one) gel saddle that worked for me but they are usually too soft. You want the saddle to support you on your sit bones, not on the soft parts. Specialized dealers have a butt-o-meter that measures sit bone width, and many of their saddles are available in multiple widths.

I like the Specialized Toupe saddles. They work for me for 100 mile + rides. Brooks has the wrong shape for me. OTOH a friend of mine who also does long rides likes his Brooks and the Toupe didn't work for him. Everyone's different.

Also, the faster you ride the less pressure there is on the seat.
ericm979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 05:07 PM   #15
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Your saddle and your bike's saddle may be only part of the issue, does your bike fit properly ?
I'm your age, a slightly larger size and have also experienced some urology problems - I've tried a lot of different saddles. Bike fit is part of getting the right saddle comfort, often a small [half cm] tweak- seat up or down, seat forward or backward, angle a notch up or down, handle bars a little higher or lower -etc. make a huge different in comfort. Different saddles work or don't for different people on different bikes - for me a Brooks works best. I've written in the past that a Brooks Imperial is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden on, it is on three different bikes. On another bike it was very good but not optimal. A Terry Liberator Y was pretty good also.
I've tried a Serfas Rx - didn't like it. My same size as me son, on the same bike- thinks it is great.
martianone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 05:51 PM   #16
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: 1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
I'm 56 and had problems with numbness "down there" when I resumed riding in 2009 after a 17 year hiatus. I switched from a "vintage" Selle Italia Super Turbo saddle (which fit me just fine "back-in-the day") to a Selle SMP. Problem solved!

YMMV.

Last edited by ciocc_cat; 05-24-11 at 06:34 PM. Reason: YMMV
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 06:30 PM   #17
byte_speed
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
What phobia said above pretty much sum it up, IMO.

I was having trouble with sore junk from the saddle nose and switched to an ISM Adamo, split seat, no nose, which has worked out well for me. I have these on two of my bikes and am getting ready to get a third saddle for my rain bike.

http://www.ismseat.com/products_racing.htm

They make several other models.

It takes a little time to adjust to sitting only on your sit bones, but you sit only on your sit bones, which beats trips to the urologist any day. YMMV.
byte_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:28 PM   #18
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Bikes:
Consider a "noseless saddle" to take all the pressure off your prostate.

Here are some examples........
http://www.amazon.com/Ergo-Endurance.../dp/B000AOC3ZG

http://www.amazon.com/Hobson-Easysea...ef=pd_sim_sg_3

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pre..._bxgy_sg_img_c

http://www.healthycycling.org/

http://www.spongywonder.com/

Noseless isn't voodoo science it's really great way to keep blood flow to your groin area. No longer will you feel like a mule kicked you in the groin when you get off your bike!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:36 PM   #19
B. Realization

Bikes:
I don't understand the relation between seat type and a UTI??? I've been having a couple episodes of what I thought was UTIs until I went to my urologist and he diagnosed it as a prostrate infection. What are your symptoms? Do you have kidney pain. high fevers, bad smelling urine, inability to control yourself?

B.Real
B. Realization is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:44 PM   #20
RobertL

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went with a Selle Italia C2 Gel Flow and I like it very much. I was getting some numbness with my old saddle, not so with the C2. It's split with just a bit of gel for cushioning. It's nice leather and at 136 mm wide, it's a bit wider than the tiny racer saddles.

Selle Italia: http://www.selleitalia.com/eng/index.html

If they were cheaper I'd buy a few and store them away so I'd have extras. While I ordered mine throught my LBS, it looks like they're going for right around $100 on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ia+c2+gel+flow
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 07:58 PM   #21
xizangstan

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
I haven't had kidney, bladder or prostate infections. My problem has been numb penis, and urethral strictures - which is a growing-closed tendency in the urethra inside the length of the penis. And when that tube's grown shut, passing urine is a challenge. Which CAN cause serious kidney problems. The solution is frequent urethral dilation - which is no fun.

I'm really glad other males are having the same or similar experience.
xizangstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:03 PM   #22
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Gel makes my butt hurt. Leather saddles work for me. These two have cutouts. We're going to try the Selle Anatomica for our new tandem..I think.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/

http://www.brooksengland.com/press/2...S_Imperial.pdf
Monoborracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:11 PM   #23
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
The OP said that he's riding a comfort bike. The combination of the saddle and the upright position may be part of the problem. Most of the saddles I see listed here are for road bikes and may not be suitable for riding in an upright position.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 08:51 PM   #24
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
The OP said that he's riding a comfort bike. The combination of the saddle and the upright position may be part of the problem. Most of the saddles I see listed here are for road bikes and may not be suitable for riding in an upright position.
I don't see what the difference would be.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:18 PM   #25
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
Comfort bikes tend to have much wider saddles than a road bike. The geometry of the saddle is totally different on a lot of them, sort of like what you would find on a cruiser. Your weight is distributed in a different fashion.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote