Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW England half the year and Europe the other half.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 fx wsd
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What am I missing?

    Hi everybody, hubby and I have taken the plunge and bought a couple of bikes primarily to carry with us in our camper van (very very small RV). We used to carry an off-road motorbike on the back of our old camper, but our new one is smaller so we've gone with bikes.

    After scouring the forums for help, and checking out our LBS's, we decided that hybrids suited our needs best, so we bought a couple of Trek 7.5's. My head is still reeling and my purse hasn't yet recovered from the initial kit out.

    So here's what we've got so far - well the bikes (obviously) and we've had mud guards (fenders) fitted. For the bikes we have a couple of spare inner tubes, patches, pump, tyre levers and the alum (hex) key tool thing.

    For us, we have helmets, gloves, and padded shorts - well mine are one of those snazzy type shorts that has a skirt on top!

    As to the rest of our kit, we are wearing our walking gear (we are keen hill walkers) so we have plenty of breathable, wicking and waterproof clothes.

    For the bikes I want/need a computer and we need some security locking type device.

    I'm not sure what else we will need - so this is where I hope you guys with experience will come in and help maybe with some ideas and recommendations.

    And oh yes, we've also bought a Thule clip on high rack so we can carry the bikes on the back of our car.

    We've had both bikes since Friday (I got mine a couple of days earlier), and have taken them out three times - 10 miles, 12 miles and 14 miles today. I'm loving it - apart from the to be expected numb bum!

  2. #2
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you Investigated the needs of the bikes and yourselves well. Hopefully some of the walking gear will be suitable for use on the bikes.

    Computer and it is down to you to decide what you want out of it BUT on the lock---Do not go cheap. There are various grades of lock and there are ones that are classed as high security. I use a Kryptonite and also have a 10ft hawser so that I can lock the bike- wheels and saddle to an immovable object. That immovable object may even be the car when transporting the bikes aswell.

    Only thing you will need now is time on the saddle-and that may be difficult to do day after day till the Butt and saddle get orientated.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  3. #3
    Senior Member BikeArkansas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Posts
    863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you need at this point is saddle time.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a fanny pack around (for when I don't have enough pockets and to keep stuff in one place until I stuff my pockets ) with extra money, some ID, a cell phone, a couple of food bars, some Endurolyte tablets, a pair of rubber surgical gloves (for keeping your hands clean when fixing flats, putting chains back on etc.). Some guys keep a wad of duct tape, a few zip ties, and few other odd bits for on the road repair. You've most likely got Schrader valves on your tires but if you ever decide to go the road bike route a couple of those Presta/Schrader adapters can come in handy when you've used up your last inflator kit cartridge and nobody has a Presta valve pump anywhere in sight.

    If you start using clipless pedals, then a couple of popsicle sticks to clean the dirt out of your shoe cleats are handy.

    Another handy thing that I've learned to do while xc-skiing is to put anything that can get wet into a zip lock bag. Stuffing the extra little bits into one that you can stuff into a pocket is a good idea too. They keep stuff in one place, they prevent the pointy bits from putting holes in your pockets and everything stays dry. I've got hayfever so I never go without a couple of those little travel packs of tissues. The plastic packs keep them dry and they don't take up much space. Some people carry baby wipes in a zip lock.

    See http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...repairs-18199/ for some interesting hints.

    As for what breaks aside from getting flats ? Derailleur cables. Check them as part of your checkout ritual before you go out. When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had a cable snap while a bunch of us where doing a long climb in the middle of nowhere. We got him back on the road and had things working well enough but it would have taken a lot less time if I knew what I know now.

    Anything else ? I always ride with gloves, usually the fingerless type but if it's cold I'll stuff a pair of full fingered gloves into a jacket pocket. One thing I should be carrying is an Epi-pen especially when I'm riding in unpopulated areas.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

    2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see Bottle Cages (or hydration bladders) listed, though I imagine you have at least one each.

    If not then I suggest you seriously consider it. I rank bottle cages (or bladders) as a "Must Have" item. Good hydration is absolutly necessary but of course as avid hikers you're fully aware of that..

    Enjoy the new bikes.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 05-25-11 at 01:14 AM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW England half the year and Europe the other half.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 fx wsd
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Computer and it is down to you to decide what you want out of it BUT on the lock---Do not go cheap. There are various grades of lock and there are ones that are classed as high security. I use a Kryptonite and also have a 10ft hawser so that I can lock the bike- wheels and saddle to an immovable object. That immovable object may even be the car when transporting the bikes aswell.

    Only thing you will need now is time on the saddle-and that may be difficult to do day after day till the Butt and saddle get orientated.
    Thank's, we are working on saddle time - thankfully apart from general 'sore' it seems 'stable' ifkwim.

    We are looking at Kryptonite cable and lock - would 7' be ample for two bikes? Most of the gear says for low to medium risk, and I'm not finding the Kryptonite site very informative, maybe it's me.

  7. #7
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snailsontour View Post
    We are looking at Kryptonite cable and lock - would 7' be ample for two bikes? Most of the gear says for low to medium risk, and I'm not finding the Kryptonite site very informative, maybe it's me.
    Kryptonite is only one of the top locks so others may come up with other names. 7ft would probably be sufficient but on that locking the bike onto the bike rack whem travelling--I use the hawser and I thread it through the Frame and wheels and the rack when travelling. I then put the "Open" end inside the trunk and use the lock to fix the hawser inside the car. I have heard of people stopping for a break in a Cafe and coming out to find the bikes and rack have been lifted from the Car and gone. If they are also secured withing the car- it makes it a bit more difficult.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW England half the year and Europe the other half.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 fx wsd
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    I keep a fanny pack around (for when I don't have enough pockets and to keep stuff in one place until I stuff my pockets ) with extra money, some ID, a cell phone, a couple of food bars, some Endurolyte tablets, a pair of rubber surgical gloves (for keeping your hands clean when fixing flats, putting chains back on etc.). Some guys keep a wad of duct tape, a few zip ties, and few other odd bits for on the road repair.

    We've been using a fanny pack - we call them bum bags here in the uk as a fanny is a totally different animal to us - close but... Surgical gloves, duct tape etc, yep all good advice - will add to our stash.


    See http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...repairs-18199/ for some interesting hints.

    Thank you - will check this out next.

    As for what breaks aside from getting flats ? Derailleur cables. Check them as part of your checkout ritual before you go out. When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had a cable snap while a bunch of us where doing a long climb in the middle of nowhere. We got him back on the road and had things working well enough but it would have taken a lot less time if I knew what I know now.

    Will add this to our purchase list!

    Anything else ? I always ride with gloves, usually the fingerless type but if it's cold I'll stuff a pair of full fingered gloves into a jacket pocket. One thing I should be carrying is an Epi-pen especially when I'm riding in unpopulated areas.
    Will add full finger gloves to my list of what's needed for winter - long tights etc

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW England half the year and Europe the other half.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 fx wsd
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    I didn't see Bottle Cages (or hydration bladders) listed, though I imagine you have at least one each.

    If not then I suggest you seriously consider it. I rank bottle cages (or bladders) as a "Must Have" item. Good hydration is absolutly necessary but of course as avid hikers you're fully aware of that..

    Enjoy the new bikes.
    Rumbled lol. We have no bottle cages - yet. We have been carrying a water bottle plus we have those platypus water carriers we use for walking. Any particular cage best?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW England half the year and Europe the other half.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.5 fx wsd
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Kryptonite is only one of the top locks so others may come up with other names. 7ft would probably be sufficient but on that locking the bike onto the bike rack whem travelling--I use the hawser and I thread it through the Frame and wheels and the rack when travelling. I then put the "Open" end inside the trunk and use the lock to fix the hawser inside the car. I have heard of people stopping for a break in a Cafe and coming out to find the bikes and rack have been lifted from the Car and gone. If they are also secured withing the car- it makes it a bit more difficult.
    Hmmm, it's all a worry isn't it. Our LBS stocks (and highly rates Krytonite) so it will be interesting to hear what other trusty brands are around.

    Not sure we could get the cable into the back of our Golf to lock down - will have to explore that possibility. When carried in our camper, the bikes will be inside the garage - and attached to the security alarm, a good 'out of sight, out of temptation' look.

  11. #11
    Time for a change. stapfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Posts
    19,915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Put the lock round a suitcase or travelling bag handle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


    Spike Milligan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •