Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Soreness from saddle - How much is normal? Where?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-28-11, 10:09 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Secteur, Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a new rider and just made my first 20 miler today. While I was riding I was not particularly uncomfortable, but when I got off the bike I could hardly lift my legs due to soreness on my butt. there is no chafing, just muscle/tissue soreness around my sitbones. I understand I need to toughen up, but I could hardly climb a short flight of stairs from my garage when I got home. Just trying to get an idea of what's normal. I'm 57, about 200 lbs and ride a Giant Roam 1 with a stock saddle.

It is better this evening and I plan to ride some trails tomorrow afternoon with my wife - butt permitting of course.

Thanks in advance,
Roger
Old 05-28-11, 10:29 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it is just muscle soreness, it will get better. Your glutes are not used to supporting your weight on such a small area. As those muscles get stronger and are better able to support your weight, the pain will go away.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-29-11, 01:16 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First ride I did was 28 miles. Did the last 10 standing so you are not alone.

Takes a couple of hundred miles to get a new butt attuned to the saddle so a bit more pain to come yet

Spike Milligan
Old 05-29-11, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It's not just the pressure on the tissue around the sitbones, but if you haven't cycled before, you are employing muscles for pedalling that are not used to this sort of exercise.
Old 05-29-11, 06:10 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just remember, the only thing that hurts the butt more than the first ride is the second. It'll get better, though.
Old 05-29-11, 06:51 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Just remember, the only thing that hurts the butt more than the first ride is the second. It'll get better, though.
Though we can get really enthusiastic sometimes, I now tend to monitor myself so that I don't have painful memories of cycling. It tends to discourage me. I know I can increase how fair I go by 10% without noticing it the next day, and if I do that once a week, within a month, I am up nearly 50% in distance. But, if you jump up too much when you are still in the low numbers, it can be a problem. I think though once you get up around 40 miles, doubling isn't that bad because you have the basic conditioning down.
Old 05-29-11, 07:04 AM

Bikes: Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every time you add mileage to your rides your rear end will be a little bit sore. That you should expect.

If the soreness continues at a set mileage for more than a few rides then that's the time to start thinking about a new saddle. Which saddle you end up with is a matter of personal preference, and every one is different. Many riders go thru 10 to 20 saddles over the years till they find one they are happy with. The majority of the long distance riders (3 to 700 miles at a time) are using either a Brooks Leather saddle or Selle An-Antomica leather saddle. Me personally, I found the Brooks works and I have been using the same one for the last 20 yrs.