User Tag List

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work is keeping me out of the saddle...:(

So, I am preparing for a 30 mile event (my first since I started riding a few weeks ago) on June 4th. The problem is I am working two jobs. I own a driver's ed school and I teach 5th grade math at an elementary.
    My day starts at 5:30am with two hours of in-car instruction, followed by regular school from 8:00 am til 3:30pm. At 4:00pm I am at my driver's ed school for classroom instruction until 6:30pm, at this time I promptly jump in my driver's ed car for two more hours of in-car instruction until 8:30pm.
    Can't find time for cycling except on the weekends! Any ideas on how I could squeeze in some proper conditioning during the week? Sorry for ranting!
    The good news is summer is just around the corner so I will have more time for riding!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get lights on the bike
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when that happens.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Get lights on the bike
    Yes sir! You are right! I just need to aquire the courage and motivation to venture out at night. I've read where 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm is the most dangerous time for cyclist. I have the lights and reflective gear, mirror etc...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get lights and ride to work in the AM.
    Never heard the 5 pm to 10 pm thing. Cycling isn't "dangerous" if you have good cycling skills and you're visible, day and night.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 PM to 10 PM is the most dangerous time to ride.
    Setting sun, traffic with drivers preoccupied with other things on their mind.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your 30 mile ride is just 10 days away.
    Too late for any serious training.

I'd ride 20 miles on Saturday, and another 20 on Sunday at a real relaxed pace with stops for food and drinks. Your legs will be like rubber when you finish on each ride, but it will give you a taste.

Then, on the big ride, don't feel it is a race. Ride at a relaxed pace and don't feel you must keep up with anybody. Eat and drink frequently. You will have to dig deep for the guts and determination for the last 10 miles but finishing will be orgasmic.

I hope your bike is a good fit and the seat is comfortable. It is late to be making changes.

I hope it goes well for you. It will be difficult while underway, but will be recalled with pride when it is over.

Good Luck.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, if I was working 5:30am to 8:30pm I wouldn't get enough sleep time especially if I tried to ride my bike too.

Replace your classroom chair with a stationary bike?

Long term - Any way you can cut one weeknight off from drivers school and replace it with a Saturday morning session? Overall it sounds like a healthier lifestyle if you are getting more physical activity in during the week.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we are in the 50+ forum, and no one has made this suggestion yet: Retire!

And I say that only partially in jest.

Our values change through life. Once upon a time, I valued money much more than I do now. For decades I worked 70 and 80 hour weeks. Things change. I felt life was passing me by.

These days, I've come to value time more than money, so I work half-time at the public library. I sold off most of my own business three years ago, keeping only enough of it for 4-6 hours a week.

Yes, I had to restructure major parts of my finances and lifestyle to fit within my reduced income, and it took several years to accomplish that. But the enrichment these changes have brought to my life has me regretting the hell-bent decades before.

I feel truly rich these days, despite what most other people would call reduced circumstances.
    Last edited by tsl; 05-26-11 at 08:39 AM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's been work related (end of fiscal year stuff) and rain.. rain.. more rain... and for some reason a flurry of dental and medical appointments for various members of the family including myself as well as being out of town a couple of weekends has kept me off the bike (and it rained all the time out there as well). I got in 300 miles for the month of April when it was cold and windy and I was hoping to put in about 500 this month. NOT.. We've had so much rain I think it's time to start building an ark. I'll be lucky to get in 150 miles by the end of this month since there's more rain on the way. What I have had to do is to get the most out of the time I've had while I'm in the saddle but that's just me.

I'm not a big fan of riding at night (too many inattentive drivers) and I find that after a strenuous workout at that time of the day I'll stay awake until the wee hours of the morning.

How do you find time to do preps and marking ? My wife is a high school teacher and the work is endless long after the day is over.

If you're going from 5:30am to 8:30pm then something has to give. That means you've barely got time to eat and sleep. I think Skilsaw has the right idea. That sounds like a reasonable suggestion because you don't have enough hours in the day during the week. Do the 20 + 20 on the weekend, make sure you get some proper sleep during the week and make sure you eat and drink properly before you go for that ride on the 4th.

I don't know if you've got much in the way of hills or wind but take it easy and you'll do fine.

Good luck.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err - Simple - sell the auto driving school and start a bicycle riding school? You could teach in "tandem."

Have your 5th grade math students study the bicycle as a math learning project - gears, ratios, fractions, tensile strength,circumference, radius, average speeds, max speeds, graphs of all, frequency of use (mean, median, mode, SD), usage in the community, sales graphs and data, etc., etc., etc. - all sorts of opportunities. Test ride the "project" results. (From a former fifth grade teacher).

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    So, I am preparing for a 30 mile event (my first since I started riding a few weeks ago) on June 4th. The problem is I am working two jobs. I own a driver's ed school and I teach 5th grade math at an elementary.
    My day starts at 5:30am with two hours of in-car instruction, followed by regular school from 8:00 am til 3:30pm. At 4:00pm I am at my driver's ed school for classroom instruction until 6:30pm, at this time I promptly jump in my driver's ed car for two more hours of in-car instruction until 8:30pm.
    Can't find time for cycling except on the weekends! Any ideas on how I could squeeze in some proper conditioning during the week? Sorry for ranting!
    The good news is summer is just around the corner so I will have more time for riding!
    Only speaking for myself, it is a matter of PRIORITIES!!

My finances look like that ammittyville horror or even worse. No matter, I am not working an extra job or giving up my exercise or relax time to make my finances get level! Why? Because I have seen TOO MANY PEEPS saying "I GOT TO DO THIS"..and later on, they be carting them out on a slab, or they get too old to really do anything and wonder how life passed them by.

In my humble, old, silly, wayout, opinon, THIS TIME DOESN'T COME BACK. Again, only speaking for myself, I am doing my 8 hours, sheesh, sometimes 6 , and then the rest is MY TIME.. All those finances that others say "I got to do this to take care of that" can have it. Through my 70 years, I have found out, that those things will still be here when we are gone.

I said all that to say, make your riding a top priority..

Luck to you on which ever way you go..
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
    Only speaking for myself, it is a matter of PRIORITIES!!

My finances look like that ammittyville horror or even worse. No matter, I am not working an extra job or giving up my exercise or relax time to make my finances get level! Why? Because I have seen TOO MANY PEEPS saying "I GOT TO DO THIS"..and later on, they be carting them out on a slab, or they get too old to really do anything and wonder how life passed them by.

In my humble, old, silly, wayout, opinon, THIS TIME DOESN'T COME BACK. Again, only speaking for myself, I am doing my 8 hours, sheesh, sometimes 6 , and then the rest is MY TIME.. All those finances that others say "I got to do this to take care of that" can have it. Through my 70 years, I have found out, that those things will still be here when we are gone.

I said all that to say, make your riding a top priority..

Luck to you on which ever way you go..
    Thanks cehowardGS! The thing is I love what I am doing. Teaching during the day is a really sweet gig and the driver's ed buisness is a school I just started up this past September and its really starting to take off so thats a good problem. Probably going to hire in some help with the drivers ed in the fall so I will make more time for riding.
    I hope I can be as fit as you when I'm 70 ( I saw your warm up video... freakin awesome! ) I've gotten a little soft around the edges since my basketball days. Thats why I'm glad I rediscovered biking, its an endurance activity that agrees with me.
    Keep the faith cehowardGs!
    Peace out!

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Thanks cehowardGS! The thing is I love what I am doing. Teaching during the day is a really sweet gig and the driver's ed buisness is a school I just started up this past September and its really starting to take off so thats a good problem. Probably going to hire in some help with the drivers ed in the fall so I will make more time for riding.
    I hope I can be as fit as you when I'm 70 ( I saw your warm up video... freakin awesome! ) I've gotten a little soft around the edges since my basketball days. Thats why I'm glad I rediscovered biking, its an endurance activity that agrees with me.
    Keep the faith cehowardGs!
    Peace out!
    I had the choice of trying to be fit in my older years, or having my finances balanced...I chose to be fit, finances be dam, I am broke as doornail , but as you see I can get around. Not only that, about 2 years ago, I beat a bout with double pneumonia. The docs told me that being in good shape helped a lot in pulling me out of that. And with the help of the Lord above.

Like I said, luck to you either way you go.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Here we are in the 50+ forum, and no one has made this suggestion yet: Retire!

And I say that only partially in jest.

Our values change through life. Once upon a time, I valued money much more than I do now. For decades I worked 70 and 80 hour weeks. Things change. I felt life was passing me by.

These days, I've come to value time more than money, so I work half-time at the public library. I sold off most of my own business three years ago, keeping only enough of it for 4-6 hours a week.

Yes, I had to restructure major parts of my finances and lifestyle to fit within my reduced income, and it took several years to accomplish that. But the enrichment these changes have brought to my life has me regretting the hell-bent decades before.

I feel truly rich these days, despite what most other people would call reduced circumstances.
    I am retired. However my wife thinks that her landscaping and flowers are more important than ridding. After all, I get exercise shoveling and laying pavers down too. Then it's "honey, lets put those flowers over here, no I don't like them there, lets try them over here... I haven't been able to straighten up in three days. Oh my aching back. Oh to be in my 60's again.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Err - Simple - sell the auto driving school and start a bicycle riding school? You could teach in "tandem."

Have your 5th grade math students study the bicycle as a math learning project - gears, ratios, fractions, tensile strength,circumference, radius, average speeds, max speeds, graphs of all, frequency of use (mean, median, mode, SD), usage in the community, sales graphs and data, etc., etc., etc. - all sorts of opportunities. Test ride the "project" results. (From a former fifth grade teacher).
    I like your idea! But I am not selling the driving school... the profit is too sweet: May retire from Public School Education and ride the driving school until I drop.