Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hills don't like me! Gears, technique, what?

I guess I could post this in either the C&V forum, (old bike) or the road forum. But with all the variables involved in conquering hills, I'll post it in regards to the one constant. My age. I have what I think is a decent drive train for hills. I'm running a compact double, 34/48 up front and a 14/28 ultra 6 freewheel. We don't have many really steep or long hills for that matter, but I seem to get winded every time. I use clipless pedals and use the pulling technique. I wonder if it just lack of saddle time. I do not get to spend as much time on the bike as I would like. Any suggestions
    "Is it fast?"
    "Kid; it's got 10 speeds!"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take hills as slow as you like and they will never get easier. However with practice they just take less time to do.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time of year you could be having allergy problems.
    Breathing problems develop slowly. They sneak up on you.

During my first year of riding I had some breathing problems.
    Went to an allergy doctor. I was only at 65% of my capacity.
    She put me on 5 meds and got me good to go in two weeks.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 34x28 is a fairly low gear. Probably just more saddle time.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugdlo View Post
    I use clipless pedals and use the pulling technique.
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try different techniques. I know I can't spin up hills. I have to stand but go much faster than way than sitting.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    1975 motobecane Grand jubilee, and a rescued 1984 Raliegh Marathon, that my daughter is using at college
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    What exactly do you mean by this?
    the pull like your scraping mud off your shoes. Guess I should have given a better description
    "Is it fast?"

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the pull like your scraping mud off your shoes. Guess I should have given a better description
    And what sort of cadence are you maintaining? There is a tradeoff between loading up the muscles vs. pumping up the heart rate and getting winded. If you are really spinning up the hills, which helps in maintaining the circular pedal stroke you describe, you might want to see what happens when you maintain the same relative mph, but with a slower cadence and higher gear. You might be less winded. The tradeoff will be that you may get some sore muscles for awhile as you get stronger. On really low-grade hills I spin at 80-90, but as they get steeper, I drop that to the low 70's, working the leg muscles more.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    And what sort of cadence are you maintaining? There is a tradeoff between loading up the muscles vs. pumping up the heart rate and getting winded. If you are really spinning up the hills, which helps in maintaining the circular pedal stroke you describe, you might want to see what happens when you maintain the same relative mph, but with a slower cadence and higher gear. You might be less winded. The tradeoff will be that you may get some sore muscles for awhile as you get stronger. On really low-grade hills I spin at 80-90, but as they get steeper, I drop that to the low 70's, working the leg muscles more.
    I will try what you suggest.
    "Is it fast?"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be any of many things. You said you don't get to ride as often as you would like, but how much riding have you been doing? Is this a new thing or have you always had trouble climbing hills?

If it is simply a matter of being out of shape, the answer is probably just to keep doing what you are doing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Could be any of many things. You said you don't get to ride as often as you would like, but how much riding have you been doing? Is this a new thing or have you always had trouble climbing hills?

If it is simply a matter of being out of shape, the answer is probably just to keep doing what you are doing.
    I usually average about 700 to 800 miles a year. Hills have always been a nemesis.
    "Is it fast?"

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hills don't like me!
    How can that be? A long time Bike Forums member from Australia (Chris L) taught us long ago that "hills are your friends".
    More time in the saddle and practice will get you up those hills.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast after the car-bike accident. R.I.P.
    * * 2014 or 2015 CAAD 10 3 coming soon. Decision time. * *

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is what it is. I find that I'm never in the condition I'd like to be in to conquer hills like I'd like to. I don't care if I do 800 miles/month, hills are always a challenge for me. I moved from a compact double (50/34 and 11/26 cassette) back to a triple (52/39/30 with a 12/25 cassette) and love it. But hills remain a challenge. I find the 39t chainring much more usable in my riding area than the 34.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually average about 700 to 800 miles a year. Hills have always been a nemesis.
    That's not very much.... you would get a lot better at hills if you rode 4-5x as much.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    A 34x28 is a fairly low gear.
    Maybe, but a triple with a 30T is lower still, even lower is a 28 or 26. I guess I won't tell you what I have on my rig but its even lower than that!! Just saying.

H

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not that hills don't like you but that you don't like hills. Attitude change needed.

I used to avoid them like the plague now I seek them out. Everyone has their own technique. Mine got better when a friend asked me "why do you work so hard up hills; why don't you rest???" I got it... before I attacked every hill and would run out of stream; now I "glide" up them. I have low granny gears and am not afraid to use them. I just get into a comfortable low gear and spin. If it becomes too easy I gear up if hard, I go down. I do have a triple crank and 36 (Sram XX 36t) cassette which is helpful. Not much I can't get up - sometimes its takes time and patience but I get it done!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    big john[/B];12702911]A 34x28 is a fairly low gear. Probably just more saddle time.
    I agree with big john and I know he's a very strong climber so he knows whereof he speaks (or types).

Here in CA the climbs are usually longer, but less steep than what you have in OH (at least what I remember from The Hilly Hundred (around Bloomington, IN). And it's true, hills are your friends, and they will make you stronger plus increase your endurance.

You will get better the more you climb, but it will take time, so be patient.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @800 miles/year, I don't foresee much change. While hills have always been a challenge to me as mentioned earlier, when my conditioning is reasonably up-to-snuff, I'm considerably faster going up them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loose weight, ride hills. Repeat. And again. Get a BMI near twenty and a lot of climbing miles and you will see a different side of this..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    I agree with big john and I know he's a very strong climber so he knows whereof he speaks (or types).

Here in CA the climbs are usually longer, but less steep than what you have in OH (at least what I remember from The Hilly Hundred (around Bloomington, IN). And it's true, hills are your friends, and they will make you stronger plus increase your endurance.

You will get better the more you climb, but it will take time, so be patient.

Rick / OCRR
    Want to ride in the mountains tomorrow? p.m. sent

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Want to ride in the mountains tomorrow? p.m. sent
    Yes John,

I'm riding in the mountains this weekend, but in a different place. Basically Fawnskin (6,700 feet of elevation) to Onyx Summit (8,443 feet of elevation) then descend to Angelus Oaks (I think at about 5,000 feet?), then have lunch there . . . plus talk about cycling, the meaning of life, the universe and everything.

Then . . . all that done, we'll ride back up Onyx from the Breathless Agony side, descend back to Big Bear Lake, take a lap around the lake, and end up back at the cabin in Fawnskin. That's 81 miles, 8,000 feet of climbing.

Next weekend is the Eastern Sierra Double Century, so 200 mi. but only 11,000 feet of climbing, so no problem!

Best Regs,
    Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-27-11 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We won't get quite that high.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish we had mountains that tall up here in the bay area.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    I wish we had mountains that tall up here in the bay area.
    I wish I could climb like you do.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it just lack of saddle time. I do not get to spend as much time on the bike as I would like. Any suggestions
    Yes, it's the lack of saddle time.

700-800 miles a year is respectable compared to most Americans, in fact, it's 700-800 miles a year than most Americans rides. Good on you!

But 700-800 miles a year is insufficient for anything remotely like bike fitness and strength for hills. Treble or quadruple that, spending most of the additional miles climbing, and you'll see a difference in no time.

Otherwise, sadly, hills will remain your nemesis.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast