Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saddle sore (conditioning)

I'm having a spotty year for bike riding. After coming off a pretty good year in 2010 with PB in weekly mileage (300+) and monthly mileage (1000+), I am struggling to get saddle time and miles this year for a variety of reasons.

In particular, I'm having trouble keeping my butt in condition to ride my typical distances of 40-70 miles. I'm good for a metric, then can't sit on the saddle for a week because the soft tissue around my sitbones is too sore (ergo the title of the thread).

I suspect that my brain wants to ride what it's used to doing but my body is not up to the task. And just when I start to get some miles in, something comes up that takes me off the bike for a while and my butt (amongst other things) loses its conditioning again.

What do you guys do to condition your butt so you can ride without it being so painful? Should I just do shorter distances for a while and force my brain to adjust to that reality?

This is really a PITA (pun intended.)

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just gotta ride more and keep it going.

Went on a 7 day tour last week after not riding for three weeks.
    Had 37,000 miles on my rear before starting.
    Got a very mean 50 cent size sit bone saddle sore after 4 days.
    Never had a sit bone sore before that.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the question should be what are you doing (or not) to reduce setbacks. Saddle sores are more of an environmental issue than a conditioning issue. Are you treating your chamois with something, avoiding using the same pair of shorts twice in a row and yes properly building up 'seat time'? A forty mile ride shouldn't hurt but a 70 miler might. What are your recovery strategies? I.e. how is your diet, rest, etd.

H

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ride lots

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was afraid the saddle sore title would be misleading. I'm not talking about saddle sores per se, but about the soft tissue around the sit bones being so sore after a ride that 2 days later I can't put my weight on the saddle. This is a conditioning thing. And I'm sure it's all about seat time. But my brain wants to jump right in and ride as if I haven't taken a vacation from riding... however my butt is complaining about it, painfully so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What title do you want?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about King? Oh wait, you meant thread title.

I dunno, My lack of riding makes my butt sore... seems a bit long for a thread title. So does how to condition my butt so it won't be so sore... that's why I put conditioning in the title.

I guess I already knew the problem but wanted some feedback on what some of you guys do when you've been off the bike for a while and you need to condition the butt again... and again... and again.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check saddle set up. Things get knocked and you never know- You may have changed shape over the winter and need to re-set it.

Have not ridden much in the last 6 months and had butt ache for a few rides on the TCR and it went. Boreas was painfull though and on checking- My son-in-law had borrowed the bike and adjusted the tilt of the saddle- It was painfull till I set it right.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not been able to ride much in the past 6 months.
    I was able to workout at fitness center working on my upper legs and butt muscles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day I found my seat post (and of course, the saddle) completely loose, as my weight on the saddle had lowered the saddle over time, and I had not really noticed it as it was slowly incremental until it came completely loose. This is a long shot, but my LBS says it is not uncommon. So, just for the heck of it - check your seat height if you haven't.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good ideas about seat position and height. I'll take a look at that next opportunity. But I really think I just need to dial back the miles and build back up. Man, I hate losing my conditioning. It's a PITA, so to speak.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    One day I found my seat post (and of course, the saddle) completely loose, as my weight on the saddle had lowered the saddle over time, and I had not really noticed it as it was slowly incremental until it came completely loose. This is a long shot, but my LBS says it is not uncommon. So, just for the heck of it - check your seat height if you haven't.
    I take a fine line Sharpie and make a little mark on the post. Works for me.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    I take a fine line Sharpie and make a little mark on the post. Works for me.
    Works for me, also, WHEN I REMEMBER TO CHECK IT!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a new rider also. I just finished my first 20 miler on my Giant Roam 1 and while I was riding, I had only mild discomfort starting around mile 10, but it was what I was expecting. The problem was when I got off the bike and found that I could barely bend or lift my legs due to soreness around my sitbones. Could barely get up the stairs from the garage! I feel great though. I will check with my LBS for a saddle recommendation this week.

Thanks,
    Roger

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats this???? According to all the UCI, fully kitted roadie, and df lovers that couldnt happen. They always fall back on "proper fit" as a cure all so no pain or problems are possible.

Being from a snow state, I dont ride in the winter. Every spring my riding distance was restricted by how far my butt pain would allow for several weeks. My legs would go much further than my butt would allow. Since 2005 I have been riding recumbents, so even my spring mileage is not limited. Almost all recreational cyclist would be far better served riding recumbents. My advancing years has educated me to the fact that pain is for fools.