Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empirical observation, bikers seem to have an intelligence edge on the average

I don't mean this in a self congratulatory fashion, its just the result of a couple of years of observation on the trail and at the LBS. The observation is that bicyclers seem to be noticeably sharper on average than the general population. Not sure what is cause and what is effect though. It may just be that people who are concerned with fitness are a standard deviation or so above the mean. Maybe it's a function of the subset of people with sufficient discretionary income to be willing to buy bikes costing $thousands.

But, almost without exception, when I meet someone in a biking context, they are bright. Not saying it is a sport populated by geniuses but definitely noticeably above the mean.

BTW: I refer to sport bikers as opposed to those biking because they lost their license.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BS

The closest to Einstien we have in this generation is Stephen Hawking, not a cyclist I am afraid.

In my line of work I know a lot of brilliant people, few cycle.

I doubt you could find a strong correlation.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fitter people I work with are the smarter ones. Some bike, some run, some walk. I do know some genius sloth like people however. Overall I think you are correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am knot scmart butt i nose whats i likes, ridin my bicycle...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    I am knot scmart butt i nose whats i likes, ridin my bicycle...
    Nicely done, Sir!! (other than you misspelled bisikl, that is)

cyclinfool: "In my line of work I know a lot of brilliant people, few cycle. I doubt you could find a strong correlation."

I'm talking above average, not brilliance. In my neck of the woods, most bikers that I've met are professional sorts of people, accountants, engineers (me), physicians, Navy pilots (in my area), not PhD astro-physicists. Notice that I said in my OP "a standard deviation or so above the mean". Hard to interpret that statement as referring to Hawking levels of intelligence.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're good looking, too.

RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You apparently haven't read Advocacy and Safety recently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of folks I know think I'm pretty dumb for riding on the road around here. Sometimes I think they're right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    You apparently haven't read Advocacy and Safety recently.
    The horror, the horror!!! Heh-

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe mountain bikers but not so much with road bikers. I have sure seen some dumb stunts by roadies. Some of them think there is no law that applies to them, and that everyone should look out for them too.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Maybe mountain bikers but not so much with road bikers. I have sure seen some dumb stunts by roadies. Some of them think there is no law that applies to them, and that everyone should look out for them too.
    Well you have to toss out the chances of mountain bikers being any better. They invented down hill as if they can break the laws of gravity. 50 pound bikes down a rock face into bowling ball sized rocks onto a 50 degree root covered foot path doesn't show wisdom.

My Bikes
    Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I agree with you for a few reasons.....I think a stronger correlation could be made with cycling and education. That's very general but certainly fits with my experience with humanity. Few 290 pound drop outs with stretch pants ride Colnagos. I'm not puting anyone down here, just citing observations.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Well you have to toss out the chances of mountain bikers being any better. They invented down hill as if they can break the laws of gravity. 50 pound bikes down a rock face into bowling ball sized rocks onto a 50 degree root covered foot path doesn't show wisdom.
    Was about to post the same as Bob on the mountain bikers. Must be the youth in them but occasionally I just get the feeling that Cycling keeps you young so roadies in the first 50 miles of a double century ride with the sense of a youngster. By the time the 2nd century starts- they realise what they have let themselves in for. Sanity takes over.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting profiling here.... " Maybe it's a function of the subset of people with sufficient discretionary income to be willing to buy bikes costing $thousands." Smarter people have greater discretionary income...

Or how about this one... "Few 290 pound drop outs with stretch pants ride Colnagos. " Large people drop out

Good thing being politically correct is not one of the criteria for posting on this forum.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One might expect (or hope) this was the case but it's not in my personal experience. In terms of interest groups I'm involved in, cyclist rate well below average.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    One might expect (or hope) this was the case but it's not in my personal experience. In terms of interest groups I'm involved in, cyclist rate well below average.
    Well, gee. Thanks a lot! But, then again, you are a cyclist.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some empirical observations do not really support some conclusions.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always seem to put those which we compare ourselves to on a pedistal. Some type of self-gratification I guess.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the bicycling. Regular physical activity supposedly improves not the intelligence, but the mental sharpness of people.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting thread. I'd like to agree that cyclists are smarter than average, but I've made some observations of my own that make me wonder. i.e. The woman I knew at a former employer who had a Master's Degree in engineering, but stated that she didn't need to wear a helmet, because she only rode on the sidewalk. Another present co-worker feels that he must have a red blinkie facing front. I told him that MA state law requires a white light facing front. The response? A totally blank stare. Not "deer in headlights", just totally blank, sort of like a Best Buy employee.

Then, there are the cyclists who adamantly refuse to obey simple traffic laws. Yet, they are college degreed, and have good-paying jobs. What's "the disconnect" here?
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibtl

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Some interesting profiling here.... " Maybe it's a function of the subset of people with sufficient discretionary income to be willing to buy bikes costing $thousands." Smarter people have greater discretionary income...

Or how about this one... "Few 290 pound drop outs with stretch pants ride Colnagos. " Large people drop out

Good thing being politically correct is not one of the criteria for posting on this forum.
    Firstly, I believe political correctness is a weakness. Second, I don't know about your great country, but the USA suffers from levels of obesity heretofore never seen in our history. It is, per capita, more prevelant in the lower income and lower educational stratas. Our health care costs are connected to this scourge as are life spans and an overall healthy community. It's not just bicycling, it's the consciousness that, if you exercise at high levels, a lot of good things will happen for you (this is grounded in my point about education). I'm not some elitest jerk, I just think there is power in truth.
    BTW, it's an inaccurate stretch to say "large people drop out" just because of my point about obesity.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! What a self-congratulatory, condescending, non-substantiative thread. Not sure if you could have made a more arrogant or offensive thread if you tried.

I have MANY friends that are more intelligent/sharper than me that don't cycle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok,lets look at this from a perspective that really none of us on here want to. What does it take to cycle? Nice bike,helmet,shoes,peddles,clothes,gloves.Put yourself and bike out in the road and elements,always looking to buy something for cycling,fall,winter,spring,too busy in summer to buy anything.The magazines and books pile up around the house about cycling,cant throw any away,might need it someday.Use terms like peleton,paceline.etc.you see peoples eyes glaze over.Take week off to watch tour,your dream vacation someday.Get up at 4 on a sat.morning to go on a big bike ride rain or shine.You cannot wait till one rides over to start another in a couple days.I love this time of year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't noticed especially compared to the folks I worked with and meet regulary. Possibly the higher energy level due to the fitness is confused as greater intelligence.
    Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast