Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant Roam 1, Trek 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soreness from saddle - How much is normal? Where?

I am a new rider and just made my first 20 miler today. While I was riding I was not particularly uncomfortable, but when I got off the bike I could hardly lift my legs due to soreness on my butt. there is no chafing, just muscle/tissue soreness around my sitbones. I understand I need to toughen up, but I could hardly climb a short flight of stairs from my garage when I got home. Just trying to get an idea of what's normal. I'm 57, about 200 lbs and ride a Giant Roam 1 with a stock saddle.

It is better this evening and I plan to ride some trails tomorrow afternoon with my wife - butt permitting of course.

Thanks in advance,
    Roger

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is just muscle soreness, it will get better. Your glutes are not used to supporting your weight on such a small area. As those muscles get stronger and are better able to support your weight, the pain will go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First ride I did was 28 miles. Did the last 10 standing so you are not alone.

Takes a couple of hundred miles to get a new butt attuned to the saddle so a bit more pain to come yet
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just the pressure on the tissue around the sitbones, but if you haven't cycled before, you are employing muscles for pedalling that are not used to this sort of exercise.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember, the only thing that hurts the butt more than the first ride is the second. It'll get better, though.
    Craig in Indy

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Just remember, the only thing that hurts the butt more than the first ride is the second. It'll get better, though.
    Though we can get really enthusiastic sometimes, I now tend to monitor myself so that I don't have painful memories of cycling. It tends to discourage me. I know I can increase how fair I go by 10% without noticing it the next day, and if I do that once a week, within a month, I am up nearly 50% in distance. But, if you jump up too much when you are still in the low numbers, it can be a problem. I think though once you get up around 40 miles, doubling isn't that bad because you have the basic conditioning down.

My Bikes
    Colnago C50, Specialized TriCross Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time you add mileage to your rides your rear end will be a little bit sore. That you should expect.

If the soreness continues at a set mileage for more than a few rides then that's the time to start thinking about a new saddle. Which saddle you end up with is a matter of personal preference, and every one is different. Many riders go thru 10 to 20 saddles over the years till they find one they are happy with. The majority of the long distance riders (3 to 700 miles at a time) are using either a Brooks Leather saddle or Selle An-Antomica leather saddle. Me personally, I found the Brooks works and I have been using the same one for the last 20 yrs.
    ~John~