Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer injury to my wife

Wife was out Monday afternoon doing her afternoon run and fell and broke her shoulder. Its the humerus bone just below the ball end. Four to six weeks in a sling. She can't drive cause she has a standard shift and can't work at the keyboard so she is off till she gets enough movement to use the keyboard without pain. Just as summer is on the way. Hopefully she will be back on the bike before fall so we can do some nice rides then.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
    Wife was out Monday afternoon doing her afternoon run and fell and broke her shoulder. Its the humerus bone just below the ball end. Four to six weeks in a sling. She can't drive cause she has a standard shift and can't work at the keyboard so she is off till she gets enough movement to use the keyboard without pain. Just as summer is on the way. Hopefully she will be back on the bike before fall so we can do some nice rides then.
    Tht is a real bummer, and my best to your wife and her FAST recovery.

FYI, my son is paralyzed from the shoulders down and types 30 words per minute using a mouthstick. Microsoft has some special programs for keys - such as "sticky keys" - that allow one to make capital letters, use the control and alt keys, etc. They are built into the accessibility features of windows. He is an attorney filing lots and lots of "briefs" - what an oxymoron - and this works pretty well for him for the past 20 years.

Also, there are some great voice recognition programs for computers that some use and like very much. Check out the Dragon products.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a painful injury. I hope she heals well and quickly.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I hope she keeps her spirits up - it can be sooooooo frustrating to not beable to do things you're used to , and at the same time have it hurt like the blazes. Time to hone your nurturing skills, methinks. Good luck for a speedy recovery!
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean that you have to shoulder the workload around the claim now? If so it's about time. Heal fast Mother Stringbreaker but not before you get Stringbreaker trained.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    Does this mean that you have to shoulder the workload around the claim now? If so it's about time. Heal fast Mother Stringbreaker but not before you get Stringbreaker trained.
    I think I'm doing ok by her. I've helped with the laundry and done a lot of cooking and cleaning up. Hey I bought her some Haggan Das chocolate ice cream doesn't that count? She is doing a bit better today the one week out from the injury. Gonna go to the zoo in a while. Had to wash the sling so waiting for it to get dry. She is pretty independent so she is finding out what she can do. I'm glad to help her.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishes to your wife for a speedy and complete recovery. I have learned the hard way that post-50 falls are no joke

And, yes, life is, indeed, too short to play crappy guitars....
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dam! sorry to hear that. there's always next year. don't rush recovery from an injury like that. 6 weeks sounds premature. be patient and get her walking. there's a lot to be said for hiking together.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the six weeks is in the sling and maybe back to work not being back on the bike. We hope to do some hiking if the snow ever melts out. Walks are a big thing with us. Thanks for all the well wishes I will relay them to her.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

I worked with a guy whose right arm was a 3" stump, and he was quite adept at one-handed typing, eating, driving, etc. I often type one-handedly when eating while working, and it's quite easy on my mini laptop, whose keys are just a bit smaller than standard.

After I broke my right radius near the wrist, the last motion I recovered was axial rotation. I used a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard, tilted with a stack of 3" floppy disks under the left side. As I rehabilitated myself from the injury, I gradually removed the disks, a couple at a time.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc says the break is well positioned and won't require surgery. Once the pain subsides she will find things she can do without a white hot flash hitting her. We go back for more X-rays on Thursday.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on individual's pain treshold, six weeks sounds reasonable.
    Busted my left humerus (not humorous!?) in 2 places about 5 years ago (was only 73 then!) in a bicycle crash at 38 mph coming down a steep canyon in Utah due to severe harmonic vibration on my Merlin.
    After 6 weeks I was doing 5 pushups and my sports doctor thought I was nuts.
    He asked 'but doesn't that hurt'?
    Sounds like's she a tough lady!
    Get better quick!

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery! Keep suppling the Haagen Dazs!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    Best wishes for your wife's quick recovery! Keep suppling the Haagen Dazs!
    + 100 on the Haagen Dazs

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stringbreaker,

Sorry to hear about your wife's injury. Here's hoping for a quick recovery. It sounds as though she is in good hands--Haagen Dazs is just what the doctor ordered!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happened to my wife about 4 years ago, half way through a two week tour. Very sad all around. Six weeks in a sling was her recovery time and mine a few years earlier, when I broke an arm skiing. The time really drags by, especially if one is unaccustomed to sleeping on one's back. (Thankfully, there was Ambien and Irish Whiskey.) Hope all goes well for her and for you.
    Ron Kokish
    Carbondale, CO

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing a speedy recovery for your wife. Injuries that keep you away from your sport/passion are the pits.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.