Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a Memorial Day post OK?

Taken from my Father's grave in Arlington National.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apropriate Tom. Ex son-in-law was Old Guard. Dad was a bombardier/navigator instructor, son an SOC Marine. Blues Frog

My Bikes
    Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is always appropriate to recognize the the men and women who gave there lives for our freedom.

ARed

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semper Fi to all those that paid the ultimate price for the defense of our freedoms.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freedom isn't free. I thank all for their service.
    Very OK in my book Tom.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would certainly hope it is okay. Any day is a good day to honor your father and all our other fallen warriors as well, Memorial day hopefully reminds those who were not so close to these heroes to join us in paying our respects on, at least, this one day each year.
    Larry

It is truly amazing how intelligent we think a person is when he agrees with us.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my ride this morning, I was overtaken by an Army truck, and I couldn't figure out why it would be all by itself out on this little country road. I'd forgotten there was a little old cemetery up around the next bend. When I got there, the truck was pulled over and parked among a handful of cars, and the color guard was preparing for small ceremony, with about 30 other folks in attendance. I stopped and offered up a thought to all the vets, including my late father, who served in the Navy during WWII, and a cousin who was in the infantry in Vietnam.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, indeed it is. Those who have sacrificed did so to keep us free to do what we feel is right. Thanks for reminding us that families of the fallen still bear the pain of their losses.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    110 KIA from my home town, many of them i grew up with and knew. Was lucky enough to come back in one piece. Viet Nam war vet. My brother and two cousins also were there. Remembering all the dead from all our wars. Praying for all those who serve today. America,land of the Free.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Confederate War cemetery in Stone Mountain that I ride past every time I ride to SM park.
    Today when I rode by a group from the Sons of Confederate Veterans (I think) had a nice display of flags (U.S. and Confederate), flags on the graves, and information about their organization available. You may not agree but the men and women laid to rest there were Americans and died fighting for the America they believed in.
    I was very happy to see that all American soldiers and sailors were remembered today.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You, to lay down ones life is the ultimate sacrifice.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

Thank you for the post. It is very OK by me. It is by the sacrifice of so many brave men (and women) that I could enjoy the beautiful weather today and go out for a nice bike ride. I took a few minutes at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon to say a quiet "thank you" to all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRed View Post
    It is always appropriate to recognize the the men and women who gave there lives for our freedom.

ARed
    It is a bit upsetting to have many TV news folks mix the meaning of Memorial Day and Veterans Day in their reporting. Swear I heard it several times on different networks.

And now for a history lesson on Memorial Day. I was transferred to Texas in 1980. Said to my boss see you on Tuesday after Memorial Day. He pulled me into his office to explain that Memorial Day is not a holiday in 6 southern states and I better show up for work. The reason, Memorial Day started out as a celebration day for the Union dead. Later on the states decided they would rather have a day off than hold an old grudge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the way to the Tour of Somerville, I passed a cemetery. I saw a group of people, one of them was obviously old, she was sitting in a chair in front of a flag decorated headstone. It's hard to ride with tears in your eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this thread title earlier in the day on Memorial Day. Later in the afternoon I took my ride to a cemetery. Although I did not know anybody buried there, I walked through the place and offered my respect.

TY to the OP.
    1974 Mizutani Super Seraph Road Bike
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Roleigh SC7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some day no wars
    I can , I will , I did it cooool