Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike for "New" rider

That neighbour that I have been getting into cycling--He wants his own bike now.

He has been borrowing my TCR-C and I have set the bike up for him as much as I can without changing parts out to fit a bit better. Raised the saddle by 7cms- raised the bars by 5 and the bike does fit him on saddle position and bar height but could possibly do with a stem change to make him more comfortable. But this is a bike sized for me and is a 51cm bike. He really needs a 53/4 for his height and this was confirmed by setting up the S-i-Ls bike that is a 54 for him last week.

But the TCR is a good bike with good components. He is not going to be happy with a low grade bike that most of us start with. He wants a good bike so we are looking on E-Bay to see what is coming up. Secondhand makes sense but jointly we have decided to stay off CF just in case there is unseen damage from a recent accident.

Must be the time of year but I reckon that a 2 year old bike in good condition should fetch about 2/3rds of the original selling price and then adjust for repairs and worn parts. So just around or above 1/2 the original price should be about right.

I know we have only been looking for a week or so but the prices any bike that is worth having is ridiculous. They are going for near Retail. We are only looking at around 500 ($800) as the max and as this would buy a new OCR3 last year with some change aswell- I thought we could get something sensible for his money.

So it is carry on looking and I will have to contact My LBS to see if they can work a "Favour" on a 2010 bike in his size and Pocket. But I just keep wondering if he is going to be happy with a 22lbs Ally bike with Sora Component after the TCR.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you hadn't have so throughly spoiled him, he would been as happy as a clam at high tide with a new Schwinn, for a while.