My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please excuse my ignorance... but,

What does N + 1 mean?
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kinda wondering the same thing seeing as I'm new to forums.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Courtesy of 50+ member Allegheny Jet, this explains it better than any possible verbal response. :-)

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272...boomer-version
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh; I can see! said the blind man.

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    2009 Giant Rincon, 1996 Dyno Zone, 198? Raleigh Capri SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY! So all this means is that in the future when I want a new bike all I have to do is make sure I come home with either a new pair of earrings, necklace, or bracelet at the same time as I'm bringing the bike home! lol

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1 is a disease. The first step toward a cure is to admit that you have the problem.

"Hello, my name is Phil...and I have too many bikes." "(In unison) Hi, Phil."

Despite selling two personal bikes this year, I own five bikes. I hope to go down to four bikes this summer.

There. I feel better...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    N+1 is a disease. The first step toward a cure is to admit that you have the problem.

"Hello, my name is Phil...and I have too many bikes."
    Nonsense! N+1 is a law of nature, not a disease. And there is no such thing as too many bikes. You need one more.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nonsense! N+1 is a law of nature, not a disease. And there is no such thing
    as too many bikes. You need one more.
    +1

It is right there with gravity and E=mc(squared)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can never have too many bikes- You need two road bikes at least and then there would have to be the spare one for the mate and at least two MTBs. Then there is the Tandem- The project Veteran bike you are trying to restore and how about the beater bike for when you don't want to take a Good bike down the town. Wondering whether you should count the "Salvaged" bikes that are too good to scrap but not enough time right now to rebuild.

One thing I do know- Get the storage sorted NOW as when you realise N+1 exists- It will get you

Rafters.jpg
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You can never have too many bikes- You need two road bikes at least and then there would have to be the spare one for the mate and at least two MTBs. Then there is the Tandem- The project Veteran bike you are trying to restore and how about the beater bike for when you don't want to take a Good bike down the town. Wondering whether you should count the "Salvaged" bikes that are too good to scrap but not enough time right now to rebuild.

One thing I do know- Get the storage sorted NOW as when you realise N+1 exists- It will get you

Rafters.jpg
    I wasn't confessing to bikes for other family members. In that case I own and maintain nine bikes. Yikes!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafters.jpg
    I believe in N+1

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh - Doesn't the number of owned bikes expand to fill the available storage space.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Ventura Comp, '86 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 5 bikes in my front room of my house and parts everywhere (plus 2 in shed and 1 on porch). I haven't bought jewelry yet but I keep saying that I'll sell a few. We'll see how long I stay a live.

Member from- uh... France pharasz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see: I have the fat-tire "beater" bike we rescued from the neighbor's trash pile. Then there is my touring bike, used for long distance commutes to work. Then my CF road bike. But you know what? I still need a TT bike! My wife has the road bike, the fat tire beater bike, and a nice TT bike. Then there is the old fixed gear and the old Light Speed road bike (650 cc wheels) which she never rides but cannot ever rid of them, for sentimental reasons. Then there is one other fat tire which neither of us rides - that's the loaner bike for visitors. Yeah, nine bikes between the two of us, and I still need one more. The law of N + 1 is immutable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometime people look at you and see the N+1 over your head and just give you bikes. This has happened to me twice. I have 10 road bikes and 1 mountain bike(i dont ride in the hills, just bought it because it is nice looking, 88 parkpre with splash paint). All this in under 2 years. Now, lets see whats on CL.........

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=LAriverRat;12729813]Sometime people look at you and see the N+1 over your head and just give you bikes.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The occasional corollary is s-1.
    Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post

"Hello, my name is Phil...and I have too many bikes." "(In unison) Hi, Phil."

Despite selling two personal bikes this year, I own five bikes. I hope to go down to four bikes this summer.

There. I feel better...
    It's a darn good thing borrowing a bike doesn't count
    But loaning one is a temporary N-1
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Uh - Doesn't the number of owned bikes expand to fill the available storage space.
    For the true aficionado, number of bikes owned = storage space + 1
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1=42

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Courtesy of 50+ member Allegheny Jet, this explains it better than any possible verbal response. :-)

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272...boomer-version
    Love it! Makes perfect sense.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafters.jpg
    As you guys can see, when N+1 is applied successfully with bikes, then N+1 must be applied with storage sheds as well.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have the disease where people find out that I am a 'bicycle nut' and give me bikes... part of the problem is that I give them away to charities who use them...That, of course does not include my stash of n+1...

Member from- uh... France pharasz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    As you guys can see, when N+1 is applied successfully with bikes, then N+1 must be applied with storage sheds as well.
    Start with a good rack in the garage
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    This is exactly what I tried to do with the Bike shed. Decided what I could afford and the shed was going to be a 10'x10'. Added another 50% to the price and got a 16'x10ft. This was fine all the time I had only MTB's but shortly after getting the shed- I went to the Dark Side and 5 road bikes later- I am a bit cramped. But the other problem was- I only had a certain space in the garden to fit the damn thing so two trees later and it fits. Only problem is I have to clean the bikes outside so a pergola was put in front so the wife can grow her Roses somewhere (And I can grow a Grape vine) and I now have a large enough area to use degreaser- soap and oils when maintaining the bikes. Just don't smell the roses after I have cleaned a bike though.

gardenand shed.jpggarden1.JPG
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast