Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help with 50

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Help with 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Turning 50 sucked for me(for like one day). I didn't mind 20, 30, or 40. But 50 was bad. It didn't last long.
Old 06-03-11, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
One day at a time. One interaction with others at a time. One ride at a time. One meal/drink at a time. One song at a time. One sunrise at a time. One bit of work at a time. One walk with the dog at a time. One task in the garden at a time.

If I stay focused on what's in front of me right now, I end up being too engaged for age to mean a thing.

While this is certainly in the realm of a platitude, I didn't really learn the meaning of it until my oldest son taught me how to actually do it. We were on vacation in Europe and visited 11 museums in 8 days. On the third day I made the comment that I wasn't "seeing" anything any longer. I had seen too much and couldn't focus. My son, an artist himself, said I should spend the next hour with him. So, off we trotted. As we stopped to look at a Vermeer painting. He said, "Dad, right now this is the only painting here. There are no others. This is the one you must see. Just focus on this painting like it's the only one you'll ever see again." This from a 26 year old! Well, he was right. That afternoon I got a crash course in how to apply the platitude of one thing at a time. I felt more refreshed, less stressed, and more complete than I had in some time. When I asked him where he learned to do this, he smiled and said, "You taught me. Remember when I was struggling with math homework in middle school? You would sit with me and say, this is the only problem. We only have to solve this one. The others don't matter. This is the only one that matters."

Yeah 50 can be a mind trip, if you let it. However, I think it's better to let it go and just focus on what's in front of you right now.
Old 06-03-11, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your getting closer to retirement, and a life of leisure!
Old 06-03-11, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So if fifty (seven years ago for me) is "over the hill", when do I get to stop pedaling and start coasting?

SP
Bend, OR
Old 06-03-11, 09:35 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by teachme
Your getting closer to retirement, and a life of leisure!
Says the man who works from 5am to 9pm...
Old 06-03-11, 10:18 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
50 was great. It fell on a Saturday and there was a 75 mile tour that day so I celebrated by doing the ride and turning into a century. Then went out to hear a couple of surf bands at a bar until 1AM. Yes, there was nap in between, I was, after all 50. I know a bunch of guys half my age that couldn't do that.
Old 06-03-11, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was 32 I had two friends pass away within a week of each other. One was 3 weeks younger than me. Since then I decided I would never complain about getting older because there are too many people who won't get the chance to be old.

I teach a spin class at 5:30 in the morning and my 50th birthday fell on a class day. I announced to my class that it was my 50th birthday and that they were going to have an old lady run them into the ground. I then proceeded to do one of the hardest classes I've ever done - it was great motivation!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 06-03-11, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Funny, a couple of years ago I wondered about turning 60 (which I will do in 1 year and 54 days). but, I ride with so many in the age group of 50-70 that , no worries!
Old 06-03-11, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas. Keep them coming. I guess I'll just have to learn to accept myself as an immature 50 year old! I'm going for a ride.

Oh yeah...rhubarb pie.
Old 06-03-11, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dominae
Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas. Keep them coming. I guess I'll just have to learn to accept myself as an immature 50 year old! I'm going for a ride.

Oh yeah...rhubarb pie.
oh, we were only referrng to growing old, not growing up!
Old 06-03-11, 11:53 AM
blt

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I turned 50 last year, and I was very happy to do it.

7 months before I turned 50, my best friend died from brain cancer a week after he turned 49. At the 50th party my wife threw for me, my wife and I were the only ones at the party who knew another friend's secret, that his pancreatic cancer had metastisized. He died this past January.

A month after my 50th, I made a 3 hour drive to spend the weekend with another guy from the same group of friends who was having his 50th. We both acknowledged how happy we were to be healthy 50 year olds, we went on a steep 8 mile hike to celebrate.

3 years ago a friend spent much of the year while he was 49 training so he could celebrate his 50th by riding the Eastern Sierra Double Century, and when the time came, he successfully completed the ride. That was a little ambitious for me, but I did enjoy a lot of good rides when I was 50.

I have another friend in his mid-80's who likes running 5K's. He used to always win his age group in the local races, until some youngster turned 80 and started beating him, and when I see him on his bike, I know I could have lots of good time left.

You may have decades of good, active life in you. Or you may have no time at all. Life is good, turning 50 is good, because as was posted elsewhere, there's always the alternative, and in my opinion, turning 50 is so much better than the alternative. Don't mourn the loss of youth, feel the joy in the fact that you have made it this far and live life.
Old 06-03-11, 11:54 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
50 is nothing- Still only halfway there- wherever that is. Still the same hills to climb except you know what they are like now.

Experience counts.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-03-11, 11:55 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
Guys,

I've got two weeks to go before I turn 50. I have been alright with it until now. Getting a little morose. Any words of wisdom to get me over the hill, so to speak, would be greatly appreciated. I just can't wrap my mind around 50. It simply can't be.

Thanks.
The proper cure is a slice of pie.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-03-11, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
Growing older doesn't mean getting old. I just turned 57 and returned to the saddle myself !
(after a 15 year absence...)
In the words of Béla Károlyi : "YOU CAN DOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIITTTT ! "
Old 06-03-11, 01:15 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
The bad news: You will still do stupid stuff.
The good news: You won't remember it.
Old 06-03-11, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?

- Satchel Paige
Old 06-03-11, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for a company with over 4000 employees. We have guys dropping from heart attacks in their 30's and 40's all the time at work. Be thankful that you made it through 5 decades and still weigh what you did in college (not many in BF can say that). You'll probably live to be an octogenarian at least and continue to pedal your way to happiness.
Old 06-03-11, 06:00 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 60, retiring soon, working less, riding more. For me 60 is better than 50, 40 etc. Sounds like you've got your health, so you've got a lot going for you. Lot's of others at what ever age we pick, do not.
Old 06-03-11, 06:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get on that saddle and ride............
Old 06-04-11, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Banded Krait
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?

- Satchel Paige
This needs to be a Thread or has it been?
Old 06-04-11, 06:34 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am 54 and I remember that day I walked over the line. I thought it was no big deal then I started to get depressed. That lasted a few days and then I got on with life. I now look at every day as another gift and try to enjoy it. Things changed, in my work I am now considered less an agent for change and more as a resource full of experience and sage advice and a mentor for the next generation - better that than a curmudgeon. They know my time there is limited, only 5 or 6 more years. I feel healthy and vibrant, my bum knee bothers me a little more than usual and I struggle more with keeping my weight in check.

You are probably in better shape than most of your peers. That just means that the odds are good you will have a better quality of life for a longer time. Enjoy it!
Old 06-04-11, 06:36 AM

FWIW, I trained all winter and early Spring before my 50th birthday on June 19th. This was 15 yrs. ago. Rode my rollers and rode hard in May and early June. I was determined that I would do a 20 mi. route (one of my TT rides) at 20 mph. This was on my steel framed & chromed MAZA TSX bike with Athena gruppo. Not the lightest but not bad "back in the day." The day came and the weather was just right. No warm up just TT-ing it all the way. Hit the traffic lights through the Univ. of Conn. just right. At the end of the ride I checked the computer did some math and clocked 19.98 mph. I called it good and had a beer. Turning 50 was a great day for me.
Old 06-04-11, 06:45 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I agree that our young people are in horrid shape. I live in a small city with a university attached to a football program, so I see a fair number of college students. It always depresses me to see what they have done to their bodies. The only saving grace for me is that I am not one of them. I would have found it depressing beyond my abilities to cope if the college women had looked like they do now back when I was in college.
Lots of colleges where I live, for the most part they all look pretty good to me. They may not be athletes but not blimps walking around campus. I also go to Boston quite regularly to visit grad students on campus, they young'ns look pretty good. You may have been right some time back but I think things have changed, IMHO the young population is getting the message. Even at work I have noticed people are getting in better shape. We still have a few of out-of-shape middle aged men/women but gradually that seems to be changing. I think as our country drops to third world status we will see our population adopt a third world physique, thinner and willing to work harder.
Old 06-04-11, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's no big deal - i am 61, feel like i am 30 and look like -- we'll let that one slide. If you feel good, think young, 50 is just a number. If you have your health and are physically able to do what you want, you have this 50 thing beat. Now go for a ride and enjoy the day.
Old 06-04-11, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
50th birthday was just another day, too busy to labor over the fact that I was 50. It is just a number!!!

The wife still says I act like a 12 yrs old though.................

Originally Posted by Dale_S
I turn 50 in a few months myself. I look at age this way, I am like wine, I just get better with time. If turning 50 is anything like the past 49 years, I am not worried about it. I have enjoyed the past 49, and look forward, and don't think turning 50 will be any different. It might also be I don't really celebrate my birthday like I used to, usually a good meal with the family, and a movie, some quiet time with the wife, and I am good. I am happy where I have been, learned more than I thought I would, and things that used to bother me don't anymore.
It might also be because 7 years ago I went in for a simple physical. Had not been to the Doctor in years, wife insisted I go. I ended up in a cardiac care unit for 2 days. I remember looking around the room, I was the youngest one in there, most folks were in their 70's and more. I didn't do much about the medical problem until about 3 months ago, was back in for a checkup and in cardiac care for the night. I decided it was time to do something about it, bought a bicycle and have lived everyday like it is the last. I hope the next 40 years will be just as fun as the last 49 have, I would not want to repeat them, maybe change a few things if I did it again, but am satisfied where I am, and happy with what life has given me.
And may you continue for another 50 years!!!

Last edited by avmech; 06-04-11 at 07:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.