Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help with 50

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Help with 50

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 09:51 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Lucky guy. Wish I was 50.
Old 06-05-11, 12:11 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I stopped at 48. And I'm 6' even and not shrinking. Ever. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I suggest taking a page from the Charlie Sheen book of self delusion. Get some good drugs, some hookers, and have a party the night before. Then, the next day you can dismiss it as the foolishness of youth.

(for the humor impaired...I'm a 60yr old grandfather who is making light of a situation...not actually advocating for drugs and hores...with apologies to good hores the world over)

Last edited by digibud; 06-05-11 at 12:12 AM. Reason: circumventing the censors
Old 06-05-11, 12:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
In 6 months I will be 65. Woopee- retirement age in the UK- but I can't afford to retire. I could at that time be getting a pension that I could retire on but won't have enough money in the bank for the next 40 odd years for when the Central heating goes bang or N+1 is required.

So it looks as though when I reach retirement age I won't be able to.

Think yourself lucky- you have enough time now to pay off the Mortgage- pay for the grandkids weddings and get N+3 if wanted before you get pensioned off to the Estate in California. How boring would that be

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-11, 04:42 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that once you hit 50, or even 40 for that matter, it is not your age so much as it is simply you. As others have already pointed out, you are in much better shape than most people a lot younger than you. They are the ones that should be worried about turning 50, not you.
Old 06-12-11, 03:47 PM

Bikes: Me; Fuji Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike; spouse Cannondale Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I turned 50 I turned to strength training and better nutrition. The result, I'm as strong or stronger today than when I played football in college. This year I turned 60 and decided it was time to focus on more endurance, so now I ride either my mountain or road bike at least four times per week. At first 60 seemed like a turning point, now I'm thinking maybe 70 will be when I have to slow down. With any luck at 70 I'll be thinking that I'll definitely have to slow down at 80. Right now I'm just going to keep lifting and keep pedalling and see what happens. Regardless, it beats the alternative.

TJMAX
Old 06-12-11, 03:59 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TJMAX
. At first 60 seemed like a turning point, now I'm thinking maybe 70 will be when I have to slow down. With any luck at 70 I'll be thinking that I'll definitely have to slow down at 80. Right now I'm just going to keep lifting and keep pedalling and see what happens. Regardless, it beats the alternative.
TJMAX
There is a saying - elderly is always 10 years older than one's present age. At 71, still going strong, although the rules of the game are a bit different (for my situation, at least).
Old 06-12-11, 04:04 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In football terms ---

50, the new half-time
Old 06-12-11, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Ignore and deny it until you're 51, then it doesn't seem to matter so much. Worked for me.
Old 06-12-11, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you don't like your age just ignore it.
Old 06-12-11, 05:30 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with 50 reminds me of a story about myself. A few years ago when I was 32, (3 decades ago), I was running a 5 mile stage in a marathon relay race. I was running at a good pace but was passed by an elderly gentleman who was grey haired and balding, hunched over and his socks didn't even match. At the time I felt insulted and tried to catch and pass him up. But no, I couldn't catch him for all I'm worth. At the time this really upset me.

Well, after I settled down, I realized how awesome this gentleman's performance was, being so fit at not just 50, but into his 60s. So I made a vow to myself that my conditioning, as I aged, would be like that man's.

Fast forward 3 decades and I am now 62. There are times (not usually) on my rides, when I gain on a rider or riders and pass them. Some of these gentlemen look to be in their 30s. So there you have it, I have become the fit guy who passed me up all those years ago.

Age 50, nothing to it. Just ride and forget your age. So there you go, young man.

Last edited by rubic; 06-12-11 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're as old as you feel, that's all

Originally Posted by Banded Krait
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?

- Satchel Paige
Exactly!! its just a number. How old do you feel (hopefully, being a cyclist, younger than 50)? I'm lucky to be in great shape (5 pounds heavier than high school), and healthy enough to tag along with the racers 30 years younger than me on Thursday night.. most of the way, anyway.
Do yourself a favor, go get a physical, a colonoscopy, etc., and know where you stand.
Reflect on the fact that your perspective on life is profoundly more 'whole' than those in their 40s, 30s, 20s... I don't think I really would want to be back there living needless frustrations, concerns and 'considerations'. Use this as the time to set right the things in your life that are 'untenable' because you are now mature enough to make it happen; to see that it should be so.
Stay as active and fit as you can, it is harder than it used to be, but also grants more peace of mind and satisfaction than when you were 20.
Laugh and love, that's about all we have. And riding of course.
Old 06-14-11, 02:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?

Originally Posted by bumpstop
Exactly!! its just a number. How old do you feel (hopefully, being a cyclist, younger than 50)?
I go into a store feeling like 30, but folks treat me as if I am 71 (which I am). Tends to deflate the ego when you get "sirs" and "Can I hel you with your groceries?" "Is that too heavy for you?" etc.
Old 06-14-11, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The best is yet to come dude. At 50 females know what they want and are not afraid to let you know. If you can deal with that. you're golden.
Old 06-14-11, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
. . .Getting a little morose. . . .
B@!!s!

Man Up...[or "Woman Up" since your name implies the Latin/Italian plural feminine].

Second...you're 50, it's the crappy hand you've been delt.

Face it like you're an action-hero in the best theatre production EVER WRITTEN. [Make sure you include a sex scene.]

Third...there are three 'secrets':

1. Look to the future...make a plan [or a hundred plans] and then go make them happen like your life depends on it. . .'cause it does.

2. Stay active...all the studies report that PHYSICAL ACTIVITY keeps you younger than your chronological age.

3. Hook up with people...I know...they're all insane SOBs or 2nd Amendment Psychopaths or Effete North-East Liberals, but we're programmed to need the b@stards so make friends and stay hooked up with 'em.

We ALL lose the fight, but I FORBID you to let go without a record of a RAGE against the Universal Forces of Entropy.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-14-11, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Y...8087194&sr=1-1

Then you can shed the foolishness.

Al
Old 06-15-11, 03:32 AM
"He must be crazy!"

Bikes: Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was up in Scotland a couple of weeks ago visiting the Scottish side of my family and went for a couple of mountain bike rides with my 34 year old second cousin. He's a fit young lad and I couldn't keep up with him on the climbs. His mother came along too and she could keep up with me - she is 64!

Okay, you will eventually lose your youthful good looks; if we live long enough, we all get old and wrinkly, but did you stop loving your grandparents and parents when it happened to them? So, there you go - people will still love you too. You won't be quite as fit and strong as a fit, strong youngster but you can still be better than 75% of them!

50 is still young-ish. Keep fit and healthy and enjoy riding in the great outdoors.

I must admit, at 55, I'm a bit worried about my coming 100th birthday but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
Old 06-15-11, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys,

I've got two weeks to go before I turn 50. I have been alright with it until now. Getting a little morose. Any words of wisdom to get me over the hill, so to speak, would be greatly appreciated. I just can't wrap my mind around 50. It simply can't be.

Thanks.
Since you posted this on 6/2, it's time to say--

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOMINAE!
Welcome to the A team!
Old 06-16-11, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GoGranny
Since you posted this on 6/2, it's time to say--

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DOMINAE!
Welcome to the A team!
Yeah happy birthday, your OLD now, not a youngin' like me, I still have 2 days to go
Old 06-16-11, 05:57 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Get a colonoscopy.

Update your will.

Be sure someone knows where you keep all the insurance policies, mortgages, deeds, stocks, and bonds.

Take a week long bike trip and drop the young fellows off your wheel.

Train for a triathlon.

Buy a new bike.

Don't drink cheap wine.
Old 06-16-11, 06:08 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Ditto on all the above. At 50, I was going to work, sitting around the station house (I was a paramedic), coming home the next day and plopping my butt on the couch to watch TV. Hadn't done anything strenuous since hurting my back when I was 42. I never gave crossing the hump any thought because there isn't anything you can do to avoid it. The wife bought me a comfort bicycle at 63 on the advice of my doctor, what a mistake on her part. I'll be 65 in October and unless it's to go to work or eat dinner, you will find me on one of my two bikes.

I have always gone on the principal of not worrying about what you can't control. You can't control turning 50, but you can decide how you want to live it and go forward. Except for when I was doing martial arts (that's when I hurt my back), I am in the best shape since I was in the military. My doctor's are happy, my wife is happy and I am happy. By the time you read this, you most likely have turned 50 and found out that it was just another day. I do a lot of distance charity rides and at the end of the day, I have out done quite a few of the riders half my age. Plus, on the bright side, you can start getting discounts at many restaurants.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-16-11, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I didn't have any trouble at all with 50. I threw a "Half Century" party and asked everybody to wear their bicycling clothes. It was fun.

The age demon did manage to sneek up and grab me at 60 and I've been fighting him every since. I'll turn 69 in October and, physically, I'm finding myself having to battle him a little harder every year. That's the only downside.

The upside is, at least for me, this is (by far) the most pleasant time of my life and I haven't even quit working yet. Our finances, while not great, are at least adequate for the first time in our lives. All of my personal relationships are great. I get to spend another grand dad/grandson day today (we're going hiking in the woods) and Mrs. Grouch and I are baby sitting the littlest angel tonight. I've started giving my kids and grand kids, not so much specific advice, but more like philosophical guidence - and they listen! What could be better?

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-16-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-17-11, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint; Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Yey I'm officially 50 as of today! Went on a nice long ride and came home and shaved my legs. Feeling much better thanks to all your suggestions.

BTW my wife got me a new Cannondale Super Six frame, so look forward to many many long rides.
Old 06-17-11, 03:01 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
The only day that matters is today. In fact, it's the only day that exists.
Old 06-17-11, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yey I'm officially 50 as of today! Went on a nice long ride and came home and shaved my legs. Feeling much better thanks to all your suggestions.

BTW my wife got me a new Cannondale Super Six frame, so look forward to many many long rides.
Welcome to the 50+ club. Most of my best cycling adventures and memories have been in my 50's (I will be 59 in July). I have yet to shave my legs, though I may trim them with my beard trimmers this weekend.
Old 06-17-11, 08:17 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.