User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were you thinking about on your ride today?

Today I was thinking about finding a pie cafe. There aren't many around here. Sometimes its difficult to remember my thoughts after a ride.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    Today I was thinking about finding a pie cafe. There aren't many around here. Sometimes its difficult to remember my thoughts after a ride.
    There's a current introspective thread on the Commuter Forum, "The Lonely Commuter" in which several subscribers relate their thoughts. I didn't specifically ride today, but here's what I posted about my usual state of mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    I'm a year-round early morning commuter on very comfortable routes of usually about 14 miles and often longer, when in training. I don't think of my commuting time as lonely, but rather call it "head" time. Probably work items are my most common head threads, and often mentally composing rough drafts of varous personal or work-related correspondence. I always have a listening device on, mostly a local radio talk show, and the hosts are in a sense riding companions. I think I only once actually stopped to call in while en route but often I am focused on the discussion. Sometimes I will E-mail in a comment, or perhaps call in when I arrive at work. I am known to them as their self-proclaimed "Number One Fan among Boston's Bicycle Commuters."...
    I find that I can often recall specific thoughts thunk at specific segments of my routes, sometimes even years later.

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of some tri-tip, baked potato, and a huge slice of banana cream pie. All of which won't happen until the trip in July with the family. For the most part my mind is clear, I use the saddle time to relax and enjoy the scenery.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm relatively new to riding (just two years) and I find that my post-ride notes get more and more extensive. THey used to be just where I rode, distance, and average speed. Now some days I write more than 500 words, reconstructing what happened at each stage of the ride - who I was riding with, how it felt, what I was thinking, the weather or scenery. If I don't do this, then after the passage of time it all becomes a blur in my memory. And it's usually such an enjoyable experience, I want a record of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I didn't ride today... but when I do ride, my thoughts are everywhere.
    Sometimes I work on lyrics but, mostly, I just let my mind run.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_S View Post
    I was thinking of some tri-tip, baked potato, and a huge slice of banana cream pie. All of which won't happen until the trip in July with the family. For the most part my mind is clear, I use the saddle time to relax and enjoy the scenery.
    What's tri-tip?

I note you post from Saugus, CA. There is a Saugus, MA just outside of Boston, known for the Suagus Iron Works, the first iron works in this country, and a National Historic Site.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking how much I need to ride at least every-other day, if not daily. And how reasonable it might be for me to drag my GT Xizang around with me - through airports, rental cars, motels, different locations. It's going to be a challenge, but I do need to ride. I need the exercise for my heart and joints.
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This . . .
    purple_haze.jpg
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering what you were thinking!

No, really, I was actually thinking about a poll I could start in the 50+ forum. Now, I can't remember what that poll was to be - probably for the best for all the other 50+ participants.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2009 Trek 7.3 Hybrid, 2010 Specialized Secteur Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking, "Where the hell am I?" (I had gotten lost.)
    My Training Log
    http://pedalmybike.com/userTrackies/myTrackie3749.jpg

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I rode a fixed gear Raleigh Grand Course conversion the Robtown graciously loaned to me. My thoughts were like this...

"Keep feet spinning"

"Whoa! Don't coast" "Keep feet spinning"

"Gear is too dang low. I could be going faster if it were geared highter"

"Gear is too dang high - I'll never m a k e i t u p t h i s h i l l"

"Whoa: don't coast while taking a drink"

"Wow! That was fun!"

PG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N O T H I N G!! That is why I ride. I have to think too much at work and don't care to when I ride. I do a lot of activities that all you can think about is the activity you are doing at the time. It's an escape for me.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As little a possible, until I heard a clicking sound. Then I was thinking, "What the hell is that?" Once clicking sound was found (leaf stuck in spokes hitting computer sensor). I went back to thinking about as little as possible..... Ah, a shady cool section ahead..... I wonder if I have time to stop can smell the honeysuckle up close?.... Oops, another rider headed toward me; make sure to acknowledge him or her..... it's a him.... handlebar hand-wave and head nod complete.... only 8 more miles to go.... wonder if anyone would mind if I stayed out a bit longer?......

And so it went.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's tri-tip?

I note you post from Saugus, CA. There is a Saugus, MA just outside of Boston, known for the Suagus Iron Works, the first iron works in this country, and a National Historic Site.
    Tri-tip is a cut of meat, and when cooked right is probably the best cut out there. I travel for work frequently, and rarely see it outside the area, so it must be something local. Tri-tip is the triangle-shaped cut of beef from the bottom of the sirloin and looks like this:

tri20tip.jpg
    If cooked right, look like this:
    tritipslices.jpg

Saugus, CA is an unincorporated area around Santa Clarita in Northern Los Angeles County. I don't think we are known for anything yet.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride to not think.

Although, my long loop route to work is right on Adventure Cycling's Northern Tier route. Yesterday I came upon a fully-loaded couple heading east as I was heading west. For a half-mile or so I wondered where they were coming from.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking about how I need to ride more to get my conditioning back. Oh yeah and how much it would have hurt if that (*&^% delivery truck had not moved over in time. I have lots of lights so I know he saw me.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I thought about that irritating young guy (like 1/3 my age) on the mountain bike who allowed me to pull him (at 19 to 20MPH) for three miles, before he drove around me when the road started to climb and sprinted away. I did let him know, loudly, that he "really showed me!!!!" The thinking was about revenge - "if I be waspish, best beware my sting..."

Hisssssssss.....

:~)
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yesterday, and Wednesday, I was thinking about the pain in my quads, since, I was trying to ride 12 miles as fast as I could.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ride today but last night took an evening ride. 15 miles at a gentle pace out to a Time trial to watch the youngsters try to kill a few cars. Had a novice rider on an MTB with us so gentle pace to bed him in. Gentle pace? Oh yea- but there's that hill ahead and Wonder if I can sit on the fast riders wheel while he goes for it? Couldn't as he slowed down to force me to lead and only just made it to the top-but beat him by 1/2 a wheel. On the way back took a mile long 5% at a constant 90 cadence and no gear changing---That did hurt by the top.

A long winter lay-off and I am paying for it but at least I managed to get my brain round working hard--In between the rest breaks.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heading up to the "recumbent specific" shop in town to see IF they'd carry a set of platform pedals that would accept the "Power Straps". Then what kind of bread I'd use for my sandwich for lunch!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been sitting here trying to think what I think about on my today. For the life of me I can't think of a thing. I must be empty headed when I ride. That's a good thing, I think,... I hope. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/89887186
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about not getting spit out the back.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Triple, Schwinn Passage, Raleigh Tech 420, Viner Road Record, Soma Sport, Schwinn Tempo, Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Takara Prestige SS, Diamondback Outlook
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same thing I think every morning: " Don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die..."

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode a TREK 850 MTB that I just put together with slicks and 8 speeds. The rear twist shifter was very difficult to adjust/shift last night. The 5 minute test ride this evening went much smoother - it seems shifting while on the work stand is harder than while riding. I was thinking the bike was handling nice and I had priced it correctly.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that I can often recall specific thoughts thunk at specific segments of my routes, sometimes even years later.
    On the other side of the coin, I hear certain songs now and associate them with specific places on a ride, including weather conditions and a particular scent in the air--pine needles, blooming shrubs, cold air.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast