User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasons First Century

Tomorrow will be my first Century of 2011. This has been an interesting spring of getting ready. My Century bike has had a mechanical issue that took a long time to find, and I hope I have found it. The issue was a dry bearing surface in the free hub, the symptoms made the problem illusive. I have lost all the winter weight + a few extra pounds (earliest I have gotten that done since it became a problem several years ago), and I have done a lot of cross training and interval training which I usually don't do until a little later.

Last year the first half of this century was done in the rain, tomorrow the forecast is for good weather. So since Thursday I have been resting and eating a little more than usual so that tomorrow morning I'll feel on top of the world and ready to burn through a fast 100. The terrain will prevent a 5 hour century but 5 1/2 hours should be possible.

Today I do some light yard work and just take it easy overall. I'll clean and lube the bikes - check things over closely and then do some shopping.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! I'm attempting my first century ever tomorrow and then heading to an ice cream social at church. I'll hoist a dish in your honor, anyone else want to be similarly honored? Come what may I do expect to by hungry by then....

Ken

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you too. The first Century is always exciting, pace yourself and enjoy the ride! Good Luck.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khutch View Post
    Good luck! I'm attempting my first century ever tomorrow and then heading to an ice cream social at church. I'll hoist a dish in your honor, anyone else want to be similarly honored? Come what may I do expect to by hungry by then....

Ken
    Sorry Ken--That is going to cost a fortune and you are going to get FAT.

To anyone else doing a long ride tomorrow--Good luck and pics are required.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good century today. Nice and cool, sunny at the start and then overcast so it did not get hot as the day went on. The ride started out fast and it looked like I might get the 5.5 hour century and highly rolling terrain. As the climbs got longer and I began to burn all my matches, it was apparent 5.5 hours was not in the card. At the end I did manage it in 5:47 of ride time. However I think I am developing some arthritis like symptoms in the knee I had some meniscus taken out about 17 years ago. This may put an end to my climbing goals.

My Bikes
    Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did my first (of this season) century 5 days ago and ended up hooking up with 10 guys in a pace line for about 40 miles....WOW, it went by so fast! I looked down and we were fixed at 26 mph (slight tailwind). What a great way to do a century.

My Bikes
    Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Sorry Ken--That is going to cost a fortune and you are going to get FAT.

To anyone else doing a long ride tomorrow--Good luck and pics are required.
    Oh, not really. It wasn't a fundraising event, it was a fellowship after the annual choir concert. One bowl to a "customer", pay what you want in an offering plate at the head of the table where the bowls were. I was fairly generous since I was ever so glad to be eating ice cream instead of pedaling! I did manage to complete the century today. I went out very fast for me and held that pace until 40 miles. Then I came unglued in the heat and sun. My 80 mile training ride was last weekend in 40-60 degree temperatures. Today it was 85 and I still need to learn how do deal with that kind of heat on a long ride, I guess. I started flagging not long after leaving the 40 mile rest stop and didn't feel bad at the 60 mile. I just barely made it to the 80 mile and figured I would have to give it up there. But I took a good long rest, much longer than recommended to prevent stiff legs, and drank plenty of Gatorade. Then I just took the final 20 at an easy pace and then backed off that as necessary to finish the ride.

It was a great ride until the heat got to me. I passed one house with a fenced yard and an Australian Shepherd dog that was having a great time chasing riders from one end of the fence to the other. He didn't seem angry, just having a good time. Shortly after that I watched a horse who was not fenced at all chase the group of faster riders in front of me for maybe three miles. Evidently farm fields in Illinois are no longer fenced as they were when I was a boy and much newly sprouted corn was trampled until the horse gave up when the route made a turn. I hope the owner got their horse back. And then on the final leg I got a good scolding from a red wing blackbird. If I can figure out how to deal with the heat I'd do another.

The pictures are me at the start and then at the end with my "coach".

Ken

UdderCenturyStart.jpgUdderCenturyEnd.jpg

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to stick with it, Ken. Good job.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage